Excercise logging help...

Options
Hello

I've just had an hour in the gym and burned 620 cals.

Would you log this as 620 burned or take away the calories you would have burned just sitting still for one hour? I think mine is about 200 cals an hour jut sitting still on the sofa. So that would be 420?

I tend to eat my cals burned to net around 1500 a day.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This depends on how you measured that calorie burn and how it was calibrated. Are you using a heart rate monitor, MFP estimates, or they gym equipment?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Your resting metabolic rate is unlikely to be 200 cal per hour - that would give you a BMR of 4800. Average BMR is somewhere around 60 to 70 cal per hour so you would not need to deduct that much from the calorie burn.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends how you calculated that burn first off. If you used a HRM then you need to deduct your BMR which would not be 200. If you used a machine it probably gave you a number that was too high to start with and didn't deduct your BMR.
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - i used a HRM for the 620 reading apologies for missing it on the original post.

Ive used the HRM for an hour of me sat still later in the day and the reading was 180 cals burned for the hour. So I've logged 620 less the 180 = 440.

Is 180 still high for a resting rate? Im 210 pounds so maybe thats why its so high?!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only accurate for steady state cardio exercise where your heart rate is significantly raised for an extended period of time and stays there. It will not be accurate for weight lifting or sitting on your couch. Those will be grossly over exaggerated numbers.