Slow Results

Options
Hey, everyone!

I've been on again, off again with MFP for a while now, but have been back steadily for a couple of weeks and am 100% fully committed to this journey. I have battled with emotional eating, and over eating, but finally feel that I'm at a point where that is controlled, and I can focus more on what/how much I'm eating since my portions are healthier.

I still crave junk foods from time to time, but nowhere nearly as much as I used to. If I get a craving, I will allow myself to indulge once or twice a week, but it's limited, and I do my best to work it off.

I've started working with a personal trainer 1-2 times per week, and do at least 30 minutes of exercise daily on my own time (walking/swimming/dancing). I look forward to these activities, and I feel fantastic.

I know it's only been two weeks, and I am seeing some slow results, just not in the places I want. I know those will come in time, but I want to know - how do you handle the negative emotions that come along with disappointment and frustration? What do you do to battle the bulge blues? I know I need to take some pictures of myself so I can reference them and see my progress when I'm down, but tell me your coping mechanisms!

Also, feel free to add me as a friend - I'm always looking for new people to encourage and support!

Replies

• Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I went from 215 to 127 and it took me about 30 pounds to really start seeing the changes I wanted. Unfortunately, after three years of maintenance, I put 40 of it back on... so here I am again.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    getting out and walking helped me with the mental part of this process. Clears the head.
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    215 was my starting weight at the beginning of this year, but since I do not have a scale anymore, I have no idea what my new starting weight is/was (as of two weeks ago).

I'm trying not to focus on my weight specifically, because I've always been heavier than I looked. I am focusing more on how I feel and look, but if you can make it to 127 from 215, then that gives me hope!

I know my progress will be a little slower because I'm trying hard to build some solid healthy habits and lifestyle changes, so I'm not just jumping off and going on a crazy diet to get some dramatic results.

I truly hope that you can reclaim your former victory!
  • Inrequia
    Options
    Walking is great!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Just try to more today then you did yesterday.
    Then remind your self of your accomplishment that you did today that you could not do yesterday.

Me personally.
    I run, so everyday I try to outdue the previous day. increase the incline, run a little longer, run alittle faster, run a little further etc...
  • Inrequia
    Options
    Yeah! Pushing myself is something I need to do more, for sure. I'd love to to get into running (but always convinced myself I hated it since I used to get some bad shin splints)

Do you have any tips on how to get started? Do you use any apps or do you just go and do your best? :)
  • nenyablue
    Options
    You're impatient because you're looking for the visual payoff. Totally understandable! But you often won't SEE the results of your hard work for a month or two. I hate all those "Visible Results in 10 Workouts!" crap, it just sets us up for unrealistic expectations.

It helps to have other goals besides 'Looking good!' because that one is so hard to wait for. And, it's a goal you can't control... you can't tell your body where to shed the fat, what precise part to firm up, force your jeans to fit you the way you want. And anytime we try to control the uncontrollable... yup, we feel out of control! And that's a short path to frustration, and finally quitting.

I STRONGLY recommend you add other goals that aren't around visual progress, and are things you completely control. Like... getting "x" minutes of cardio in a week. Doing "x" number days of exercising per week. Eating "x" servings of vegetables a day (I try to eat veggies with 2 meals, and once as a snack). Drinking "x" ounces of water. Not eating any carbs for dinner... etc etc etc, You are in complete control of those goals... achieving them has nothing to do with your metabolism or hereditary fat storage tendencies, it's ALL up to you!

Focusing on those goals will also help remind you that the biggest payoff for making these changes is to become HEALTHY. Yeah, I wanna look awesome too, but more importantly I want to preserve my muscles, keep high blood pressure at bay, and not become yet another member of my family with diabetes. Get healthy first... and the rest will follow.

Good luck!
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, slow results are better than no results, which is what I had before joining MFP. Nothing worth while is easy. Add me as a friend and we can support each other!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Write a private blog about all these feelings - how difficult it is, how angry and frustrated you get with the process - write it all down. Spend ten minutes a day with this gripe session if you must, and then move on with your day. Don't give yourself permission to mull this over whenever you want. Negative emotions need to be controlled and by delegating them to a specific time period every day they don't get to run rampant through your life.

A big problem with weight loss is keep the weight off.

Once you reach your goal, you'll have that blog to go back to read and remember why you don't want to come back to this again.
  • Inrequia
    Options
    These are all super fantastic ideas - thank you!
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    Personally, I think the frustration comes from unrealistic expectations. We all have them- it maybe takes us a year or two years to gain all the weight, and then we expect to see dramatic changes after a couple of weeks in. Personally, I like to take it on a day by day basis. After eating well and exercising I know I am stronger and better today than I was yesterday, and definitely better off than I was two weeks ago...but you just can't expect full body transformations in less time than it took to put all the weight on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to tell you except you're so not alone! It's been a terribly slow process so far. It's hard to be patient. Just try and look at the big picture and that, if anything, you're healthier than you were before you started, and that in a year (or 2, whatever it takes) when you've lost the weight you want, you will have forgotten that it took so long.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Make sure to measure other forms of progress as well. Set up some strength goals, or speed goals, or flexibility goals. Work on doing more pushups, lifting more weight, holding planks longer, going longer distances....

All stuff you can measure.

And don't forget to take measurements. These may show more progress than the scale.

I am in the middle of a VERY VERY long plateau. I have no idea why it is happening, and I am working with my doctor to find out why it is happening.

The most important thing you can do, is to make sure you are putting the habits before the results. Remember, it is a lifestyle change, so you want to make sure the things you are doing now will be in your lifestyle in the future.
  • Inrequia
    Options
    The most important thing you can do, is to make sure you are putting the habits before the results. Remember, it is a lifestyle change, so you want to make sure the things you are doing now will be in your lifestyle in the future.

So, so, true! It's definitely important to keep that in perspective, but it's one of the things I struggle with most. I'm taking measurements (but only waist/hips [where I wear my pants]) because those are the ones I'm most unhappy with. Perhaps I'll start taking other measurements as well, and limit that to once a week.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

So, so, true! It's definitely important to keep that in perspective, but it's one of the things I struggle with most. I'm taking measurements (but only waist/hips [where I wear my pants]) because those are the ones I'm most unhappy with. Perhaps I'll start taking other measurements as well, and limit that to once a week.

Definitely take more! :)

I am literally in about a plateau since the beginning of the year. I am losing/gaining the same 4 pounds. :(

I was super psyched when I took measurements the other day and had a huge change in my belly button area. Everywhere else was nearly the same, except that one! I took it as progress. :)

This is my list:
    neck
    arms
    bust
    under bust (i.e. where your bra band goes)
    natural waist
    belly button
    hips
    thighs
    calves

I used to even do above the knee. :)

In reality, I thought my calves were done! I really don't have much to spare there at all. Never did. Surprisingly, the other week, they were down a bit as well. Shocking!!!

Some things are holding steady, but the tiniest improvement can be celebrated. You might be surprised which areas change.
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great advice here! I'm in the same boat as you. As much as I try to not focus on the visible changes, it's sometimes hard not to. Every day is a new chance to get closer to our goal of being healthier. We can do this!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 213 (starting in September last year) to now 173, which is "only" 40 lbs in 11 months, so my loss has been very slow and gradual too. I've actually been on a plateau for about 7 weeks now, holding steady but not losing. I understand where you are coming from because we all want to snap our fingers and be thin. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. What has helped me keep going and stay motivated is the changes I have made are permanent. I can continue to eat this way and exercise for the rest of my life. When I reach my goal weight of around 150 lbs I know that I will not be "done" but will continue to improve my health and fitness even if I'm not still trying to lose weight. Also I have a really great support system in place including my family, my wonderful hubby, and my MFP friends. That has meant the most to me and has really helped me to stay strong when I want to stuff a whole cheesecake in my mouth!! LOL!!:flowerforyou:
  • Inrequia
    Options
    Yes, we can! :D
  • Inrequia
    Options
    I have gone from 213 (starting in September last year) to now 173, which is "only" 40 lbs in 11 months, so my loss has been very slow and gradual too. I've actually been on a plateau for about 7 weeks now, holding steady but not losing. I understand where you are coming from because we all want to snap our fingers and be thin. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. What has helped me keep going and stay motivated is the changes I have made are permanent. I can continue to eat this way and exercise for the rest of my life. When I reach my goal weight of around 150 lbs I know that I will not be "done" but will continue to improve my health and fitness even if I'm not still trying to lose weight. Also I have a really great support system in place including my family, my wonderful hubby, and my MFP friends. That has meant the most to me and has really helped me to stay strong when I want to stuff a whole cheesecake in my mouth!! LOL!!:flowerforyou:

That's what I'm trying to keep in mind - changes for the long term. I know it'll be a slower process than restricting, restricting, restricting, to see dramatic results. I just like to have a lot of things in my bag of tricks for when I'm feeling down. Thanks for sharing!