To eat Breakfast or not (GMA artical this morning).

Options
Just read about this, what do you guess think? I am not a breakfast person, I love breakfast foods just not first thing in the morning. I prefer to save my calories for the evening when I am more hungry.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/mixed-messages-value-breakfast-110241225.html

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting, so I only eat my meals from noon to 8pm.

Breakfast for dinner, is my favorite!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think science.

Eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast. The decision itself means nothing. Calories are what matters.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think I would get fired and have no friends if I didn't eat breakfast. LOL I exercise in the early AM, so at breakfast time, I am really, really hungry. The "hangry" would set in pretty quickly if I had nothing to eat at all, and I would be snappish and horrid.

And I agree with the poster above regarding calories in vs. calories out. I don't think it matters when you eat - if you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast. The decision itself means nothing. Calories are what matters.

This.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast. But if I'm hungry in the morning (like today), then I'll breakfast. I've begun to think it really doesn't matter.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie, no matter when you eat it :)
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast as a method to let my body know I am now awake and moving plus I run several days in the morning...without breakfast I will tank in the early afternoon. Congrats on the poster who can eat late at night my body thinks if I eat past 9 in the evening I should be awake until 3 :embarassed: So science or not breakfast is a must for me.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think I would get fired and have no friends if I didn't eat breakfast.

^^
    This LOL I wake up starving, and when I'm starving....no one wins. :happy:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    People still watch Good Morning America?

Who knew?!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think common sense. There are far too many thin healthy people who don't eat breakfast for breakfast to be necessary for either weight loss or health. There are far too many thin healthy people who eat breakfast for breakfast to be a hinderance for either weight loss or health.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast.

I'm not hungry.

If i do eat breakfast, whether it's social pressure, a weird mood, or I force myself to, it makes me feel sick to my stomach until lunch time, and absolutely ravenous the rest of the day.

You can always tell a day I ate early on my food diary, because I go over calories by 1000-3000, no matter how small the breakfast was. I have to eat the world or I'll feel like I'm dying. No self control on top of a day-long queasiness.

Breakfast is my enemy. I'm glad I finally stopped trying to force myself to eat early just because people keep telling me it's "important" or "healthy" to do so.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting, so I only eat my meals from noon to 8pm.

Breakfast for dinner, is my favorite!

16/8 here. I LOVE eating breakfast for dinner, or before bed.
    I alsways said pancakes were made to eat before bed, not in the morning :wink:
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Never eat breakfast, never have eaten breakfast. Just can't deal with food in the mornings. Right or wrong, I'm 54 yrs old and I'm sure NOT going to change now.
    I prefer to eat in the evenings when I'm hungry and not force something down first thing.
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have my shakeology every morning for breakfast. I need just a little something to get me going.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is a historical anomaly. For most of our history, people generally didn't eat much, if at all, first thing in the morning. So it's certainly not a "necessary" meal, and much of the lore around it is, frankly, marketing.

Ultimately, it's a personal decision for each person to make.
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options

That's just it: the science says that not all calories are equal and breakfast calories are more beneficial for weight loss. There are several suspected reasons for this. The obvious one is that calories consumed when you're active are more readily consumed while those consumed when you're less active are more likely stored. Stored calories are fat calories, and are higher density energy, while food calories are more likely proteins and sugars which (esp sugars) are fast low power calories.

The other idea is that breakfast kick starts your metabolism, so the sooner you get your body out of overnight fasting mode the less inclined your body is to try and conserve energy and store it.

The following is a note from the Fitbit premium food report page: "Remember to keep dinner and evening snacks to below 30% if you are trying to lose weight and below 50% if you are trying to maintain your weight."
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you have accurate hunger signals you're not hungry at breakfast, don't eat breakfast. I know some people that have actually lost five pounds by turning away from typical protocol of "eat breakfast" and eating intuitively.

At the end of the day, it's cals in vs. cals out. I usually eat most food at night b/c of exercise schedule and I'm doing fine.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

That's just it: the science says that not all calories are equal and breakfast calories are more beneficial for weight loss. There are several suspected reasons for this. The obvious one is that calories consumed when you're active are more readily consumed while those consumed when you're less active are more likely stored. Stored calories are fat calories, and are higher density energy, while food calories are more likely proteins and sugars which (esp sugars) are fast low power calories.

The other idea is that breakfast kick starts your metabolism, so the sooner you get your body out of overnight fasting mode the less inclined your body is to try and conserve energy and store it.

The following is a note from the Fitbit premium food report page: "Remember to keep dinner and evening snacks to below 30% if you are trying to lose weight and below 50% if you are trying to maintain your weight."
    I don't even know where to start with this horses*&t
  • badmoose
    badmoose Posts: 25
    Options

Start by reading the article the OP linked, then citing studies that well contradict it.

What you *think* is true isn't worth the electrons used to darken the letters on the screen.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Start by reading the article the OP linked, then citing studies that well contradict it.

What you *think* is true isn't worth the electrons used to darken the letters on the screen.

Strong example of reguritation of information.

You do not "jump start" your metabolism as it never stops running. Take a wild guess as to what would occur if your metabolism stopped running.

I like the fact you're calling him out when his physical condition surely surpasses yours on multiple levels. If im not mistaken he follows intermittent fasting. We consume the majority of our calories later in the day, post workout and closer to bed. I routinely eat 2,000 calories just bed everynight. Do i look obese? Does he? Comb through my friends list and look at a large number of others who follow intermittent fasting and you will see they're lean and in shape as well.

You're right that not all calories are created equal, as each type of macronutrient has a different thermic effect after being consumed. However, it is still a case of energy balance. Eat below your TDEE and you will lose weight, eat above and you will gain.