Any tips for newbies

Options
New to this game First day Fed up already :laugh:

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Get some kitchen scales and weigh & log everything

You will soon find what is calories dense for weight / volume, and what is loads of bulk, filling & healthy for not a lot of calories
  • sue9900
    sue9900 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals/snacks in advance so you don't grab high calorie foods that you will regret. Logging will help.....I lost 20 pounds while using this site.....the 12 months I took off I've gained a pound a month....I'm back and getting back to a weight I was really happy with. You can do this!
  • judywhi
    judywhi Posts: 18
    Options
    lol Im not laughing at you just with you because this is my second day and I was just the same way yesterday fed up wondering how I can ever keep this up, but as you see Im still here and I have about 100 lbs to lose so if I can stick it out so can you so come on lets do this.
  • sue9900
    sue9900 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten how it helps to see that at 1:00 PM I have only 600 calories left to eat for the day. It was amazing to see again how many carbs I had consumed....logging holds me accountable. Exercise isn't my problem....it's EATING!!!!!
  • florencezempoluch
    florencezempoluch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Certainly can be overwhelming at first when there appears to be so much to learn. I do Weight Watchers, but chose to come here for more support and LOVE the breakdown of foods showing carbs/sodium/fat etc. I really need visual support involving my sodium and carb intake, and hope I will have the discipline to keep accessing the site daily. I have lost over 80 pounds on WW in 2and 1/2 years, and am 68 years old!! I have at least 80 more pounds to go, but I am worth the effort! SUCCESS TO US ALL!:blushing:
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Patience...everything good takes time and effort.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    tips?

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:
    the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

so there are a few thoughts.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think you have to figure out exactly what you're fed up about. This is my second time trying MFP, and so far this is the longest I've stuck with it. I found that adding friends on here is more helpful and fun than just going it alone. You have to have the mindset of actually wanting it.

ETA: Make sure you set the right activity level for yourself!
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    Really wrap your mind around this & be disciplined to excercise & eat healthy every day! It will become a habit that you will want to do! Good luck.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    tips?

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

^^^^ YUP ^^^^^
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    tips?

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

My tips? Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    Get some friends with the same goals, age, etc. that can give you motivation! You can friend me if you'd like.:flowerforyou:
  • Ericacarrino
    Options
    Record EVERYTHING you eat and drink EVERYDAY!! Doesn't matter if you go over or stay under your calorie limit, It helps to keep you accountable to yourself and helps to keep you on track!!

Cheers!
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    tips?

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

^^^^ YUP ^^^^^

This and drink at least 8 glasses of water! :)
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Learn to filter out the truth from the myth. You'll hear lots of opinions and debates. The forums can be frustrating
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that's the Ke$ha diet...
  • susieggr
    susieggr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. MOST IMPORTANT: Be honest and record on MFP EVERY bite of food or liquid you consume, staying with your goal each day.
    2. Weigh foods with a little kitchen scale and use measuring cups to measure everything.
    3. Check in every day on MFP (I am at 115 consecutive days.)
    4. Weigh yourself daily being sure to record your weight on MFP weekly.
    5. I have MFP on my computer, Droid phone and Kindle...no excuse for not reporting!
    6. Exercise doing what you like and are comfortable doing. This is a lifetime change so you want to enjoy it.
    7. Be patient with yourself...you did not put the weight on overnight so it sure won't come off overnight.
    8. Tell yourself over and over "I CAN and WILL do this! I am doing this for me and a healthy, long, good life!"
    I first logged in with MFP in January but did not start using MFP until April. So glad I finally got going on it! I wanted to lose 24 lbs but changed it yesterday when I reached 23 lbs. lost. I now want to go to 30 lbs lost.
    Good Luck! We are all with you!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    DON'T TAKE POST RESPONSES TOO SERIOUSLY IN THE "CHIT CHAT AND GAMES" SECTION.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    tips?

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

This. +1