Ideal Protein

Options
Hi, I saw my brother and his wife this weekend and they both looked fabulous! I asked them what they have done, and they said they have done 8 weeks on the Ideal Protein diet. I did some research online and found that I can follow the same plan using alternative products, and today is my first day. I am excited about this! Last year I lost 40lbs, but since October of 2012 I have gained 20lbs back!! I have been stable for the past 3 months, but really need to lose what I had gained, and then about another 20lbs to be at goal weight. My husband and I decided to give the Ideal Protein Diet a try. If there is anyone else on here that is following the IP plan, I would love to have you as a 'friend' so we can share ideas and encourage one another. Thanks!

Replies

• cfergusontx
    Options
    A friend of mine here at work is doing Ideal Protein and has lost 25 lbs. She looks good, but I don't want to "join" anything and have to buy products and eat their food. I'm doing it on my own but losing so slowly.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did the Ideal Protein diet for 13 weeks and lost 35 pounds and several inches. I turned to that program after dieting on my own "unsuccessfully" (well, slower than I wanted. I did lose 10 pounds over 8 weeks which looking back now was pretty good). I chose that plan because 1) I knew many people who had successfully used the program and 2) I was a friend of the practitioner who headed the program. For me, the positives were: it works (huge positive). You physiologically cannot NOT lose weight on this plan. It helped for me to have to go every week and weigh in. I felt like I "had" to follow the plan. There was no guess work involved; follow the program with it's packaged meals, your choice of "approved" vegetable and lean proteins. My hair and skin never looked so good while I was on the plan. The negatives were: it was expensive (although, for me it kept me motivated to follow the plan exactly. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money and not get results). I was hungry ALL the time. Other people said that they felt full, especially after eating one of their packaged meals with the high protein, but I was never one of them. I had been used to lots of food and have always had a big appetite and I just never got accustomed to eating so little and you can only eat 3 meals and 1 snack each day. That's it. You are not supposed to exercise while on this plan. I tried doing Zumba while on it and I stalled on my weight loss. That sucked because I had finally found an exercise that I really liked, but the pounds would just not come off. There are no cheat days, ever, while on the plan. It made events (parties, dining out, travel) difficult because it involved a lot of pre-planning and bringing your own food. This plan is only successful if you stick to it. The "maintenance" phase of the plan was also not a plan I could stick to for life. The last negative, for me, was that I do think has thrown off my metabolism. After 13 weeks, I had hit my wall with this plan. I just couldn't do it anymore even though I had about 15 more pounds I wanted to lose. I decided to go back to what I did before Ideal Protein (where I lost 10 pounds). I gave myself about a month of not worrying too much about the scale and found MFP. I kept my calories around 1200 (which is an increase from Ideal Protein) through "healthy" eating and maintained my weight. After about 3 weeks, I started to lose and slowly lost another 8 pounds. However, now I've hit a stall and am playing around with increasing my calories. I am still determined to lose 10 more pounds.

So bottom line, I felt that it was worth doing, however just carefully consider how you come off the diet and how you will keep those pounds off. Too many people I know who had been very successful losing the weight went off the diet to go back to eating how they ate in the first place and ended up heavier than they were before they started Ideal Protein! I think of Ideal Protein in terms of a "diet" while now I am thinking in terms of "healthy lifestyle". Good luck!
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started the ideal protein diet 2 weeks ago and feel the best I have in a very long time. The food tastes great and, once you get over the initial fee, I find my grocery bill is no different. Except I eat better!! I have a cappuccino in the morning (this is one of the breakfasts), their soup and my 2 c. salad/vege for lunch and a meal with my husband in the evening. The evening meal consists of 8 oz of protein and 2 cups of veges. My glucose levels have stabilized (I am pre-diabetic) to near normal and I have lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks.
    For those trying to do this on your own, please don't. This is diet designed to spare the muscle wasting that happens with severe ketosis. This diet puts you in very mild ketosis (I measure a trace in my urine). I don't feel hungry except when I am supposed to.
    You have to buy food anyway and learn to eat differently in order to keep the weight off, so i appreciate a diet that helps me reach my goals efficiently.
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I survived day 1, but I was actually up a pound on the scale!! I was 100% compliant with the plan, so this was a huge disappointment. I hope I get a better number tomorrow!
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I survived day 1, but I was actually up a pound on the scale!! I was 100% compliant with the plan, so this was a huge disappointment. I hope I get a better number tomorrow!

Fluctuations are to be expected. I was told not to weigh myself every day, but I couldn't stop myself from getting on the scale! Losses for me happened literally overnight. I would go for days with the scale never moving, or even going up, and then a 2.5 pound loss. Make sure you drink lots and lots of water and weigh yourself at the same time every day. Focus on the weekly loss (hard, I know).
  • wknmom
    Options
    After two full days - I saw good numbers on the scale! Now I am looking forward to the 1 week weigh in on Monday!
  • Calisto7
    Options
    I did ideal protein from November to May and lost 88 lb. I phased off to go on a 2 week vacation to Florida with the family and will be starting back on Phase 1 using alternatives when the kids go back to school. I gained weight on vacation (because I ate without really caring) but since I have been back have maintained that weight without gaining more.

My husband lost over 60 lb and has stayed at that with very little weight gain for 5 months being off.

I do weigh myself every day, BUT I know not to worry about it as they go up and down even not on a diet every day!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you are looking for results too quickly....

if you weigh in everyday you are going to drive yourself iNSANE.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

maybe that is her goal!! maybe she wants to fit into that straight jacket!! why don't you try and be more supportive???????
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

maybe that is her goal!! maybe she wants to fit into that straight jacket!! why don't you try and be more supportive???????

but Capt! I've worn a straightjacket...those things itch....and well...they get hot....you're much better off waiting till october when the leaves turn and the cool air arrives to use that...

for now stick with rope and tape.....it's cooler....

i'm being as supportive as I can
  • wknmom
    Options

but Capt! I've worn a straightjacket...those things itch....and well...they get hot....you're much better off waiting till october when the leaves turn and the cool air arrives to use that...

for now stick with rope and tape.....it's cooler....

i'm being as supportive as I can

Thanks for making me smile! After week one, in total I lost 3.5 lbs. Not as much as I expected, but a loss is a loss and I will be happy with that. Now into week two...
  • jenniferc536
    Options
    How many inches did you lose in that week? My mom lost 13 total inches after just 4 days. I am attending an open house tonight, I am still undecided about "joining", but I am interested in the science of the plan. I think the no exercise will drive me nuts. And I can't have nuts on IP! lol Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So is this something you do for the rest of your life? Because that's a problem with "fad diets" even if they work. Once you stop doing them and move on with life, you'll probably gain :( Good luck to you though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many inches did you lose in that week? My mom lost 13 total inches after just 4 days. I am attending an open house tonight, I am still undecided about "joining", but I am interested in the science of the plan. I think the no exercise will drive me nuts. And I can't have nuts on IP! lol Good luck and keep up the good work!

Science is simple, you need to take in 3500 calories less than you burn to lose 1 lb. So big loses you see the first few weeks is almost 100% water weight. There are no special protein blends or diets, they all work on simple science.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    2 cents about what I learned throughout years of weight-related issues.

Every time I hear about some "diet" with a name/label on it (can be anything, Atkins, Ducan, Paleo, Ideal Protein, etc) I do this:
    IGNORE.

I ask myself what happens after I am done with said diet/way of eating/approach.
    What's going to happen next? Go back to NOT being on that diet? And if I am no longer on that diet, what will I be on?

If I think the diet / lifestyle in question is doable for life and I can continue to do it forever, then it's worth taking a look at; if I realize this is something realistic only for a certain amount of time - then I ignore.

This is why I don't count calories routinely. This is not realistic for me over the long term - though in the beginning, until you gain perspective and learn your main foods, it is very helpful.

The only "way" that has worked for me, that continues to work for me very well and that I read is the ONLY WAY that works long-term - is to learn how to integrate healthy eating and healthy living into every day life, without making it THE FOCUS.
    After all, you can only be overly preoccupied with something for so long without having your mental health affected.

So I just do the "Lifestyle Diet" :-) (Don't look it up, I just made this up).

1. Eat "clean" (you can look this up, it used to be called "eating" but in the context of our contemporary society you have to add "clean" and understand exactly what that means).

2. Cook from scratch as much as possible all while trying to keep all high-calorie ingredients relatively low (such as oil, animal fats, carbs, etc)

3. Include all groups of natural foods in moderation, with some priority given to lean organic meats and fresh vegetables (if your pocket allows).

4. Watch your portions, aim to no bigger than your fist for the main serving.

5. Stop a step or two before feeling full.

6. Avoid sugar and white flower entirely - most days if you can. Actually "always" if you can - but chances are you won't.

7. Be on the lookout for the "Stress Devil".

Some people (you may or may not be one of them) use food to cope with stress just like some use alcohol, cigarettes, prescription drugs and other addictions to cope with the pressures of modern life. If you happen to be one of those people whose "thing" is food, this is probably the most important part of the "diet". Stress can be anything like "bad thoughts", tensions at work, problems with kids, various anxieties about the future, desperate desire to rest with some comforting feeling after running around like crazy all day, whatever. If you have experienced such moments, when your mind veers off all while the hand reaches out for the potato chips bag and introduces them in the mouth one after another without the brain being fully aware of the event - then RECOGNIZE it is happening and somehow, someway, find a way to wake up and step away from that "Devil".
    I say "somehow, someway" because it is not easy. In such moments, you can have a PhD in nutrition, you can know your daily calories to the 1/100th point or what not - you're still in danger, because it is not lack of knowledge that causes the problem or willingness to make "the right choices" - but ABILITY.

I suspect that a large percentage of people with weight problems ca track back their woes to stress-based eating, where nutritional knowledge doesn't make an oz of difference. You know very well the fries are "bad" in large quantities, but in those moments you are wired to do just that: stuff yourself with large quantities of fries despite all the nutritional awareness in the world. That Stress Devil is very hard to control when it hits.

Then again, you may be lucky enough to not have such issues. Then nutritional and physical activity-related knowledge, accompanied by a decent resolution - is all it takes.

8. Don't keep "treats" in the house. Want to have a treat day? Plan for fewer calories than normal during the rest of the day, go to a sweet shop, sit down, have a cake and eat it too, enjoy and don't even think about feeling guilty in any way, shape or form because you owned it (in the example where you delivering chips hand to mouth, spontaneously, with the brain elsewhere - you are not "owning it") .
    Then leave and don't take anything "to go".

9. Set special time aside to exercise 4-5 times a week, as natural moving has been engineered out of life for most of us.

10. Do all the above like you brush your teeth. Don't make this lifestyle above the center of your daily energies, preoccupations and conversations, just like you don't make brushing your teeth the center of your preoccupations.

That doesn't apply to the "Stress Devil" part, this will NEVER be like you brush your teeth. It will be hard every time it hits and the danger of relapse will always be there once you have experienced food as addiction - as a way to cope with stress. If once in a while the Devil wins and you end up "going to town" - go to bed, sleep, get up the next day and pretend it never happened: continue with your normal lifestyle.

Best of wishes to you!
  • o2bfit3
    Options
    Feeling really great about this past Holiday season as it relates to my weight. For the very first time in my life, I did not gain a single pound!! Ideal Protein helped me feel satisfied so that I could not be tempted by the numerous opportunities to eat sugar and calorie laden foods.
    Yes, this plan has helped me focus on the foods that deliver health to my body and let me experience what it feels like to have my glucose levels at normal. My mental and physical energy has improved and I no longer ache.
    I am soon going to phase off of the plan, having almost met my weight loss goals, knowing that at the end of the day, it matters what I put in my mouth, so the choice is definitely all mine. Ideal Protein is not for everyone, but at least try it before shunning it.

For those who have used "alternative" proteins instead of Ideal Protein, how did that workout and what products did you like most?
  • wknmom
    Options
    Feeling really great about this past Holiday season as it relates to my weight. For the very first time in my life, I did not gain a single pound!! Ideal Protein helped me feel satisfied so that I could not be tempted by the numerous opportunities to eat sugar and calorie laden foods.
    Yes, this plan has helped me focus on the foods that deliver health to my body and let me experience what it feels like to have my glucose levels at normal. My mental and physical energy has improved and I no longer ache.
    I am soon going to phase off of the plan, having almost met my weight loss goals, knowing that at the end of the day, it matters what I put in my mouth, so the choice is definitely all mine. Ideal Protein is not for everyone, but at least try it before shunning it.

For those who have used "alternative" proteins instead of Ideal Protein, how did that workout and what products did you like most?

Good for you! I have used alternative proteins, and that works too. Perhaps the results don't come as fast, and you don't have the 'support' of a coach. I am now trying to eat more protein and veggies, but watching the calorie intake here on MFP. That seems to be working too, and it works with my busy lifestyle. When I am on the run and don't have time to make a salad (or you can't eat a salad very easily in the car!) I have a protein bar and fit my veggies in later when it works for me. It isn't 'ideal', but hey, a loss is a loss :)
  • o2bfit3
    Options
    Yes, loss is loss and really, the fact that you are watching, counting, and not feeling starved is the most important thing to stay on track. All my best to you!