Knee surgery patient needs advice!

Options
Hello everyone... I had knee surgery two months ago and am doing good, but I need to get moving! I can move around fairly well, but I can't do a lot of knee bending including squats and lunges... I also can't run, jump, ride my bike... walking sometimes hurts too.

Has anyone been in this situation? I need some advice. I like to do exercises that require me to lie down, but it has to be something I can do lying on the bed or couch (it's hard to get back up off the floor).

I'm fine doing strengthening exercises, I need help with the cardio! I need to burn those calories! I don't have any money to go to the pool although I do go once a week for physical therapy. I also go to rehab another two days a week.

Replies

• king4ar
    king4ar Posts: 25
    Options
    Hello everyone... I had knee surgery two months ago and am doing good, but I need to get moving! I can move around fairly well, but I can't do a lot of knee bending including squats and lunges... I also can't run, jump, ride my bike... walking sometimes hurts too.

Has anyone been in this situation? I need some advice. I like to do exercises that require me to lie down, but it has to be something I can do lying on the bed or couch (it's hard to get back up off the floor).

I'm fine doing strengthening exercises, I need help with the cardio! I need to burn those calories! I don't have any money to go to the pool although I do go once a week for physical therapy. I also go to rehab another two days a week.
  • CMartin6706
    Options
    I torn my Achilles tendon in Dec and it killed me that I couldn't do anything. I was in a walking boot for four months! I could walk, but it was rough! Do you know anyone who has a hand bike? Or set up a pully type system that would allow you to do cardo by pulling rope toward you over and over. The best method for this is to get a good pully (from the local hardware store) and screw it into the wall somewhere then put the rope through . As long as you keep it tight you should be able to work enough to at least get your heart rate up. It's cheaper then buy at hand bike and it wouldn't have be in your lap. I guess it depends on how "on your back" you are. Good luck and remember it'll heal and that's when you can get back into shape!!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a hand bike? It may sound like a not so good exercise, but you really can get your heart rate up on that thing.
    I wrecked on my bike a few years ago and jacked up my patella tendon...BAD!
    I didn't have full motion for about 6 months.
    I would still go to the gym and do the hand bike and lift. It wasn't fun not being able to do the things I love to do, but it was something!
    Good luck to you,
    Kelly!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I deal with that issue every day. I need a surgery but have not had it done. I can walk and I can swim but I can't do ANYTHING with bending my knees ( one flight of stairs up or down- starts cracking fireworks inside at least one of my knees.) So, when I go to the gym, I wear rubber stiff brace on my knee (I got it from Medic store). I do 60 min walk on the trademill with 15 degree inclination at 3.0 speed. It burns 600 cals in 1 hr:bigsmile:
    Check gyms around you and don't forget YMCA, you should be able to find one for about $19-29 per month (with pool and sauna included).
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • king4ar
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! It's good to see I'm not alone.
    I don't really have money for the gym only what I do at rehab which is limited cardio.
    I will have to look into a hand bike, I think I may know someone who has one that doesn't use it; maybe I could borrow it!! I never thought of it...

Thanks again!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I was recently in exactly the same boat -- I had knee surgery and the lack of cardio was making me CRAZY! Honestly, I just got through the time as best I could, and when I got the okay I got back on the exercycle and would do an hour at a time with no resistance (as per my therapist).

It's been a few months now and I still feel it when I try to do lunges or run. So really, the only advice I can give is the same I'm sure you've heard a million times. DON'T PUSH IT. Just resign yourself to this time that you need and if it hurts, stop.

I know you don't have a ton of money to spend, but sometimes the local Y or college will let you swim at their pool.

I second (third) the hand bike advice as well. Unfortunately, once the knee goes you really are limited in your sports and that's why it's so important to let it heal...so that you'll have a whole lifetime of being able to do even common sports.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What type of surgery did you have? Are you currently going to therapy? If so, what are you doing there? If not, where did you leave off? You can ask your orthopedist for specific limitations and work up to that point.

On the bike for example, a lot of my ACL rehabs work on getting the knee to bend by using the good leg to control the pedal. They take about 5 minutes of rocking it back and forth before they can get it around, then in another 10 minutes, they are able to maintain the cycle with the seat set really far back (toes resting comfortably on pedal).

I know it sounds simple, but it really works. Let me know and I'll see if I can help!
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had my left knee replaced in September 07 and spent lots of time doing range of motion exercises as part of the rehab. Get a towel or bungee cord (or go to the sporting goods and spend money on an adjustable strap). Lay on your bed and place the towel around your ankle. While holding the towel with both hands bend your knee as far as possible using the towel to help when you get to the pain zone. I did this multiple times every day for 6+ months to help get my range of motion back. It hurts like @#$@ but it works. When you get to the point where you can get on a stationary bike make sure you adjust the seat to a height that is appropriate for you body structure. Most riders have the seat way too low. Low seat = more bend required. The seat should be high enough that your leg almost fully extends at the bottom of the pedaling cycle.

One other comment. My wife tore her ACL and ripped her meniscus about 2 years ago and she developed so much scar tissue during the immediate aftermath of the surgery that she ended up in a second surgery to remove scar tissue because there was no way she could break through it with exercise. Hopefully you are not suffering from this problem.
  • king4ar
    Options
    More advice! Great!
    I had a meniscus repair done and have been going to physical therapy for it. I can use the stationary bike, but it hurts sometimes because my knee cap slides out of place. This happens randomly so, I'm limited in a sense that I can't bend my knee very far unless I know my knee cap is in place. This usually means that I actually move it into place with my hand. Sometimes I use tape to hold it into place; it doesn't last long though.
    I am looking for a cardio exercise that doesn't involve the knees at all. Something to work on the other parts of my body. Maybe a cheap video you can do sitting?
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I tore my ACL a few years ago and my physical therapist put me in the pool! I say swim until you can't swim anymore....
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    have you thought of trying bellydancing? i can be a great cardio workout with no stress on the knees. proper dance posture always has the knees soft (slightly bent) and mostly flat footed. it really strengthens your thigh muscles, which i guess would help with knee problems. if you can try a class in your area, do it! if not, there's a ton of DVD's out there, even on netflix. i just got Jillina's Shape Up n Hip Out, and it kicked my butt!

keep on shimmying,
    em
  • king4ar
    Options
    I found this website and I'm going to give it a try!
    [http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/321_belly-dancing.htm]
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    woo hoo! another convert!
  • sewtoday123
    Options
    Well, did you talk to your dr about what you are allowed to do? Have you gone to a physical therapist yet to help teach you what you can do and how to start working your muscles? The reason I am asking is because I had to undergo surgery to have my ankle fused. Let me tell you this has been a huge shock for me. I used to play tennis, racketbal, run, go to the gym and do everything, after I had to be in a hard cast for about 7 months or use a wheelchair, and it took me about 4 to 6 months to walk again. I have to use a specially built insert to help me walk like a normal person. I asked the doctor to help me relearn how to exercise again. So I went to physical therapy. That helped me alot to learn what I can and can not do. I started with Tai Chi first, then I went on to the gym, and now I am going to Curves. Remember this was not just happen over night. The process took took me over 1.5 years of hard work. I love going to Curves, but there are days I hurt, and cann't go. Like today, but I keep working at. Don't stop, keep up the work, and soon you will see results. I bought the Wii, and I get to play tennis again! You have no idea what it was like to play tennis again knowing you can never run. I cried when I played my first game. Now I plan to buy the yoga tomorrow. I am so excited. Sorry I took so long.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have chondromalacia in my R knee from an old injury, acts up when I start working out so I recently bought a patellar band, was cheap, about 10 bucks from Target. It's a strap that has a piece of either hard rubber or silicone and it is worn just below the kneecap. The plastic/silicone places pressure on the patellar tendon which helps keep your kneecap tracking correctly. Talk to your orthopedic surgeon about this to see if they recommend one for you.

Mine seems to be helping quite a bit with the pain I used to experience during workouts. Although it still pops/grates/crackles/grinds like crazy. :ohwell:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    More advice! Great!
    I had a meniscus repair done and have been going to physical therapy for it. I can use the stationary bike, but it hurts sometimes because my knee cap slides out of place. This happens randomly so, I'm limited in a sense that I can't bend my knee very far unless I know my knee cap is in place. This usually means that I actually move it into place with my hand. Sometimes I use tape to hold it into place; it doesn't last long though.
    I am looking for a cardio exercise that doesn't involve the knees at all. Something to work on the other parts of my body. Maybe a cheap video you can do sitting?

So why didn't your surgeon do a patella realignment if your having these kind of problems with your knee still? Doesn't seem right! Ok I work in surgery so I get a little out of hand when it comes to all the things offered and things you could have do to fix the broken parts! :happy:
    Maybe there is more to your conditions, but I would talk to your Doc again about that problem!
    Good luck to you, Kelly!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hmm, two months post-op? You should be getting off limitations regarding deep flexion (when you bend it compresses the meniscus which defeats the purpose of the surgery). Do you know what layer was torn? That will impact your rehab protocol.

The reason for the tracking problems is lack of quad strength. The catch here is that most people also have tight hamstrings which will limit the potential range of motion in the quads. So, first start with hard core hamstring stretching, then incorporate as much quad strengthening as you can tolerate. It is very important to focus on the last 10-15 degrees of knee extension (you'll feel like your're hyperextending) so that it doesn't "give-out" on you. This will help with the tracking and prevent patellar tendon related issues. A cho-pat strap may help (the band across the patellar tendon) or you may find that a knee sleeve with a support donught on one side of the opening for the patella helps.

You absolutely need to fix the tracking issue in order to regain ful use of your knee.

p.s. I'm an athletic trainer, so you don't think I'm a quack. I practice and teach sports medicine at a college for a living! :drinker:
  • sewtoday123
    Options
    I am now doing Yoga, or let me state what I can with a fused ankle. My left side I have learned how to do Yoga differently due to the fusion, and my right side I can do anything. I plan on getting the Wii Yoga on my next pay period to help me with my workout.
  • suzannemoreau
    Options
    I had knee surgery on my acl 9 years ago and I remember it took me about 4 months to really feel strong enough to dance. I have a dance studio so I am exercising alot. My suggestion would be to lay on your back and do the exercise like you are riding a bike. This will also get your cardio up. The lower you can keep your legs to the floor without touching will help your abs and you will get a better workout. Don't forget to breathe well. Good Luck and don't give up! I think it takes a full year to really have full recovery.