Might change your mind about Fast food.

Options
Chef Jamie Oliver may have won the battle with McDonald's in 2011, over their use of ammonium hydroxide, but he has yet to win the war. Although McDonald's stated that the company would discontinue using ammonium hydroxide in their hamburger recipe, it's still unclear if they are using the trimmings that turn into the so-called "pink slime." What's more, ammonium hydroxide is still used throughout food production.

check out this article about Pink Slime and the food grade ammonia Mc Donalds Uses for their ground beef and Chicken Nuggets.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/18175/20130806/jamie-oliver-mcdonalds-ammonium-hydroxide-pink-slime.htm

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    We should just start a fast food forum this week....
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Why do people care so much about others eating fast food?! If someone wants to eat fast food, then go for it! No one if forcing you to eat it, so stop trying to force others to stop eating it!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Why do people care so much about others eating fast food?! If someone wants to eat fast food, then go for it! No one if forcing you to eat it, so stop trying to force others to stop eating it!
    I don't think anyone's trying to force people to stop eating it. It seems that articles like this are just trying to make sure people are actually aware of what they're eating. If they realize what something is made of and choose to stop eating it, that's their own choice, not a forced one.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It does seem to go in waves, doesn't it. A couple of weeks ago it was clean eating, this week it's fast food. I don't know what I missed when I was offline last week.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's trying to force people to stop eating it. It seems that articles like this are just trying to make sure people are actually aware of what they're eating. If they realize what something is made of and choose to stop eating it, that's their own choice, not a forced one.

I understand what you're saying, but there is all sorts of chemicals, etc. in majority of what we eat, so it seems a little hypocritical to harp on fast food. People have attached this label to fast food like it's the worst thing ever, when in all reality, it's just food!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    So that's what makes their chicken nuggets so addicting.

"Ammonium hydroxide is naturally found in beef, other proteins, and virtually all foods. It is widely used in the processing of numerous foods, such as baked goods, cheeses, gelatins, chocolate, caramels, and puddings. One result of this food safety system is the dramatic reduction in the number of potential pathogens that may be present in foods, such as E.coli O157:H7.

Ammonia/ammonium hydroxide is one of a number of processing aids used with meat and poultry in order to ensure the safety of these foods before they are delivered to consumers. The pH enhancement process is an important component of our overall food safety effort. By adding a tiny amount of ammonia (gas) to the beef, we raise the pH in the beef to help kill any harmful bacteria that could possibly be present."

next you're going to tell me captain crunch is bad for you because it has HFCS
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope... pretty sure pink slime hasn't swayed me from eating chicken mcnuggets... I had some a couple of weeks ago.

The fact of the matter is there is all kinds of food grade "chemicals" that are used in other areas of industry... the only difference is those used in other areas of industry are at very different concentrations and usually have different compounds in it.

What's the difference between medicine and poison? The answer: Dosage.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Oh_look__it_s_THIS_thread_again-1.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Way back in the day McD's used some beef something in their FFs and didn't publicize it in their nutritional information. Word got out and Vegetarians went nuts. Back then, sometimes as a vegetarian there were literally no options but getting McD's FFs at a rest stop or similar venue- it's very different now. Anyway, McD's apologized and publically came out and announced that beef was no longer in the FFs. EXCEPT, they didn't change their recipe and the whole uproar happened all over again.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Way back in the day McD's used some beef something in their FFs and didn't publicize it in their nutritional information. Word got out and Vegetarians went nuts. Back then, sometimes as a vegetarian there were literally no options but getting McD's FFs at a rest stop or similar venue- it's very different now. Anyway, McD's apologized and publically came out and announced that beef was no longer in the FFs. EXCEPT, they didn't change their recipe and the whole uproar happened all over again.

Crazy hippies are crazy

Beef, like bacon, makes many things much, much better.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think its really strange what some people are willing to eat. Even if they have the knowledge, it's flat out not caring. I understand that its their life, their choice, their blah blah blah. But so was/is being fat, and most people on this website realize that's not healthy either.
    I think it's nice that McDonalds is trying to become a healthier place, but let's face it... fat sells. They're easy, it's cheaper than healthy food, and it's actually addictive. As long as their bottom line is still moving up, I don't think McDonalds cares at all about what they sell to the public.

It's a total personal choice, but I'd much rather have organic beef that I know was once a hunk of a cow than pink slime that's chemically altered cow leftover bits.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    just thought it was interesting.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'll give up Mcnuggets when I'm dead and not a moment before. You'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands even then!

...And now I want nuggets. Damn it. So much for oatmeal.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how anyone eats McD's "chicken nuggets". They're nuggets alright, but I don't think that any chicken from this planet is involved in their making...Give me chick fil a over them any day...heck, even BKs are better!**

**Just thought I'd throw in a little humor before this gets ugly....

P.S. Where is Jonnythan???
  • mandi_444
    mandi_444 Posts: 156
    Options

It does seem to go in waves, doesn't it. A couple of weeks ago it was clean eating, this week it's fast food. I don't know what I missed when I was offline last week.

I think Diet Coke will be next week... oh aspertame
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    all i say is if you find yourself heading to McDonalds STOP and go to a Five Guys or In and Out instead. it makes no sense to go to McDonalds when those other 2 restaurants exist.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

McDonalds and others stopped using "pink slime" in February of 2012, and mechanically-separated beef has been banned in the USA since 2004 due to fear of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    all i say is if you find yourself heading to McDonalds STOP and go to a Five Guys or In and Out instead. it makes no sense to go to McDonalds when those other 2 restaurants exist.

They don't exist in Hawaii. True story.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    samuel_L_Jackson.gif