My new bike!

Options
So I sprained my foot last week and had to stop running. I gave it a week to recover and it still hurts when I walk!! I decided to try riding my roommate's bike to get some cardio in and fell in love with biking. I am buying a bike this afternoon and am going to start biking to work next week. Whoo hoo!

What excites me the most is that because of the hills and stuff in this area, I am burning about 700 calories everytime I go out. Cha Ching! :happy:

Replies

• moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    So I sprained my foot last week and had to stop running. I gave it a week to recover and it still hurts when I walk!! I decided to try riding my roommate's bike to get some cardio in and fell in love with biking. I am buying a bike this afternoon and am going to start biking to work next week. Whoo hoo!

What excites me the most is that because of the hills and stuff in this area, I am burning about 700 calories everytime I go out. Cha Ching! :happy:
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    And think about all of the money you will be saving in gas!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Biking is amazing fun and exercise. What kind of bike are you getting?
  • shorerider
    Options
    Just saw on your profile that you live in DC? BE CAREFUL! The drivers there are maniacs. I had to commute there for 2 years and used my motorcycle most days. I can't tell you how many times I came close to getting creamed. e021.gif
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I thought DC had bike lanes now? At least inside the city?

Anyways, are you looking to get a road bike or a mountain bike? I adore my mountain bike, but I'm looking to get either a hybrid or straight roadie soon :)

If you don't mind some weight you can get a decent steel frame trek mountain bike for about 250$, less if you get it a year old (most bike shops will be glad to hunt one down for you). A cannondale will cost about 350$. Both are absolutely worth it.

I'd shy away from walmart bikes. I've seen two of them have the forks snap, one of which put one of my friends in a coma. Buy quality and it'll last forever, and keep you safe.

If you're looking to carry it up and down stairs a lot, you may wanna look into an aluminum frame. If you're rich you could also look into titanium and carbon fiber frames :)
  • shorerider
    Options

DC has traffic lights, traffic signs, and traffic laws too-but that doesn't mean anyone pays any attention to them!

I was riding through a round-about on my motorcycle on day when a taxi ran the red light coming into the circle and came within about 2" of taking me out of this world-the guy never even blinked or stopped!

There was a woman bicyclist just got killed in DC yesterday--hit by a garbage truck.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

DC has traffic lights, traffic signs, and traffic laws too-but that doesn't mean anyone pays any attention to them!

I was riding through a round-about on my motorcycle on day when a taxi ran the red light coming into the circle and came within about 2" of taking me out of this world-the guy never even blinked or stopped!

There was a woman bicyclist just got killed in DC yesterday--hit by a garbage truck.

Thats terrible :(
    One of my friends lives down there and she rides an old Harley... at least the thing is loud enough to keep her noticed. I never knew it was quite so bad!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I count myself blessed that I commuted to DC for 3 years actually and never had a crash. But I've been riding a motorcycle for 25 years, so experience helps. I also count myself extremely blessed that I no longer live even close to there! And, if I never step foot in that NVA/DC area again I will die happy.
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    My roommate commutes to work everyday and has never had an incident on the path that she goes, so I am feeling pretty confident.
    Oh, I can feel the pounds coming off as we type!