Hi, I'm new here!!

Options
:heart: Hi, I just joined my fitness pal. I need to lose about 60 pounds to be healthy and get my cholesterol and blood pressure. My husband helps me stay upbeat, but I get discouraged fast and don't want to go do exercise. So if you have any motivation hints, please let me know. thanks

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on your decision to get fit -- that's great! You'll find everyone on this site to be very positive, encouraging and motivating. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. :)

Also, if you're on Facebook, please feel free to check out the group I created over there, called Motivation. Many positive, encouraging people and helpful hints & tips over that way, too! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    You can do plenty to change your figure without exercise, but exercise is advised. Just watching your calories and eating correct portions can make you shed some poundage. Just reading some of the stuff on here is motivation enough to get you on your feet. I didn't wanna do exercise either, but I got motivation from this site, and I walk or do something physical almost everyday.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi bonnie,

First of all Welcome to MFP:flowerforyou:
    I know where your are coming from I to have high blood pressure, cholesterol and
    am type 2 diabetic. I have lost 11.6 pounds since this program. I want to get
    off of medication and get myself healthy again. I have always exercised, in fact
    I just signed up for a Yoga class once a week. I walk everyday. I know you don't
    like exercise but even walking 20 mins a day will help you lose faster. If you
    have any questions I will be your friend. Everyone here is very helpful and
    you will get motivated.
    Again Welcome and Good Luck on your journey.:bigsmile:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello from one Newbie to another!

This is a fine tool. I'd say get your meal planning and logging down first then start adding small walks. Like after dinner with you husband, walk around the neighborhood. It's great together time and it gets in some exercise.

Cheers,

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about tricking the mind into thinking it's having fun. And I found out today that going top speed isn't as beneficial as totally relaxing first and going at a slightly slower speed. The harder you work each workout the harder it might be to come in the next time. Even if it is just the rest of this week.

This program offers something different for everyone because the largest part is just counting calories daily and getting familiar with how much they're putting in your food when you go out and have your favorites. Making friends here helps too because then you have others that can motivate you and vice versa. I've seen all manner of posts here.

There are lots of exercise programs floating around within MFP's forums. Not just that but lots of healthy food tips and ideas. No two people are the same. But I'm sure you'll find something that fits you.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Me too! Lets help each other!
  • mssnow
    mssnow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Bonnie and welcome to MFP. If you are serious about getting in shape and being healthier you are definitely in the right place. You are not the only one that have had this lack of motivation to exercise, i have struggled over the last couple years to loose weight and keep it off, i would start and stop, but this time i looked in the mirror one day and i almost did not recognize my self and it was like a light came on....i have been on my program for 6weeks now and have lost 12lbs and 8.5 inches. I am so excited about my accomplishments, i will not kid you and say it is easy but i can tell you it is possible, if you are ready to take control of your destiny and join us on this get fit journey...One thing you will need to do is find a good support group, which you already have right here, next get you an accountability partner someone that will encourage you to move on those days when you don't feel like moving, this really helps alot. Next set some realistic goals for yourself daily, weekly....and pretty soon you will be looking and feeling better. Good luck on your weight loss destiny!:flowerforyou:
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    What works for me in terms of exercise is Zumba. I am not a dancer, never have been, was born with two left feet, but... Zumba is an amazing, fun, allover workout for me. In fact, I started going to classes with my step-daughter before I decided to whoop my tail into better shape and lost ten pounds and 7 inches in the first month with no dietary changes whatsoever.

Whatever you choose, you can count on the people here to be ultra supportive and offer motivation in the form of kind words. Best of luck to you!