Breadless Sandwiches

Options
I am doing more protein and less carbs due to PCOS and the fact that carbs cling to me like nothing else.

Well, I love sandwiches for lunch at work and needed ideas other than lettuce to eat my "sandwiches" with and found these ideas online and thought I'd share them. Some seem...interesting and some I would have never thought of.

And, just fyi, I eat no more than 100 grams of carbs per day, 1,470 calories and try to stay around 150 grams of protein. I am doing the 25%carbs/40%protein/35%fat low carb diet.

Hope they help somebody other than myself!

Instead of Bread:
*Tortillas (They make carb friendly)
*Spring roll wrappers
*Lunch meat (wrap your cheese, mustard, etc inside a lunchmeat "roll")
*Pita Bread
*Pounded chicken/turkey (Pound the crap out of your chicken/turkey with a mallet and cook it then either roll your goodies inside of it or put one pieice on top and bottom like bread)
*Cucumber slices or hollowed (Slices of cucumber to make baby sandwices or slice a cucumber down the middle long ways and scoop the seeds out, fill the hollow section of one side and put the other side of the cucumber on top of that, peeled or not)
*Portabella Mushrooms on top and bottom like a bun (I'd grill or cook mine first. YUM!)
*Egg (I guess mix 1 egg in a bowl as if you're making scrambled eggs. Pour into a small pan and cook on one side, flip and cook the other side. Do this with two eggs and then use them as a top and bottom with goodies inbetween. Good breakfast idea!)
*Cheese slices
*Thin hamburger patties (Flatten the patty out before cooking, cook, pat the grease off and fill the middle with goodies. Sounds interesting but good)
*Sliced apple or banana (Filled with peanut butter, nutella (no-no!), sprinkle with chocolate chips or any flavored chip, raisens, etc)

I hope someone can make use of these ideas I found and make their low carb diet a little more fun.

-Chunky!!

Replies

• Noiram55
    Noiram55 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks, Chunky. Love sandwiches but dont want to eat bread.:smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you like seaweed, use nori wraps. Sushi sandwich??
  • Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas
  • chunkymonkey0223
    Options
    If you like seaweed, use nori wraps. Sushi sandwich??

I am also a very picky eater! :( lol
  • chunkymonkey0223
    Options
    Thanks, Chunky. Love sandwiches but dont want to eat bread.:smile:

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately, bread is one of my favorite things to eat. Carbs actually. I love chips and bread and potatoes and rice the most. And, pasta. So, yeah, this tough but I'm trying to lose 54 lbs. I have lost about 40 in the past 2 years and want this last 50 GONE!
  • ellend17
    ellend17 Posts: 58
    Options
    You can also make "oopsie bread" I used this recipe: http://caloriecount.about.com/oopsie-bread-12-recipe-r197782 and made it with low fat cream cheese, but there are loads of recipes on google.
    I tried it at the weekend as i wanted to cut back my carbs and really enjoy them, very low carb and easy to make to last the whole week :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    bacon_cheese_sandwich.png
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lettuce and cabbage both make good wrappers. Had cabbage cup tacos yesterday and you can steam the leafs to get them soft like tortillas for an enchiladas.

I usually take a couple stalks of romain to make any sandwiches or hold my burgers
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lettuce and cabbage both make good wrappers. Had cabbage cup tacos yesterday and you can steam the leafs to get them soft like tortillas for an enchiladas.

I usually take a couple stalks of romain to make any sandwiches or hold my burgers

I love lettuce wrapped burgers! Elevation Burger and a couple of other quick places will do that...yum!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    bacon_cheese_sandwich.png

fried chicken breasts= low carb
    double_down_kfc.top.jpg