Breaking Point

Options
I'm curious if any of you fab people out there had a sort of breaking point? A moment where it just clicked for you and you knew that you had to turn life around and quite the eating that you were and become healthier.

For me it was 2 weeks ago...I was in my room and trying to find clothes to put on for the day that would fit me and after trying on at least 4 pairs of pants with none of them even close to fitting me, or if they did fit my rolls of belly would be pooring over the sides because they were so darn tight, I realized (God I'm so embarrased to admit this :embarassed:) that the only pair that I could actually wear that wouldn't require a steam roller to get on was an old pair of..........MATERNITY khakis. :frown: Yes you read right, Maternity.

My son is 2. I haven't been pregnant for over 2 year and the only pants that would fit were Maternity ones. It was a sad sad day for me. I realized at that moment that I had to change my life. I couldn't have any more excuses, I need to make this change for me, for my kids and husband and for a healthy life with them.

No more excuses, no more reason why I can't. I can!! I WILL!!

Replies

• Unfortunately, Jenn, I've had a few defining moments throughout my life of obesity .... Up to this time I either failed or attempted to go with the quick fix (pills) .... And guess what ... FAIL!!! I think my defining moment this time is that I know that I have to do this for ME!! I'm all there is left. My husband died 3 yrs ago (he was 49), but he never had a negative word to say about my encroaching weight .... The only thing he cared about was my health. I take pills for diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol regulation, and it's time to get rid of all of those nasty little things!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was this past December when I had my annual ob-gyn appointment. I thought I weighed 160 because that's what I was when I had last weighed in October... all my work pants were too tight. My belly was spilling over all my jeans. Not even my baggy "babydoll" tops hid my belly anymore. I stepped up the scale and saw 180 ... my highest was 175 when I was about 16 and vowed to never get higher than that and proceeded to lose 30 lbs. After seeing 180, I went home and decided to stop drinking soda, stop eating so much crap, and started working out. I got a 7 day trial at a gym (which I later joined and still use occasionally).

I've lost 23 lbs to date but even more inches. I'm now smaller than I was at my adult smallest.
  • Becky011
    Options
    In the last year, I havw noticed things getting tighter and the scale (when i rarley EVER got on it) was going up. But I felt like I didn't look THAT bad. I did weight watchers at the beginning of the year, dropped 13lbs FAST and my clothes starting fitting better. But of course, I did not stick with it - I always felt like I could barely eat anything to stay in my points and it was just frustrating. and if I lost less than 2 lbs, no one really cared or supported you in a meeting. And i was shamed when i gained and just left. AND gained it all back.

I had known I was eating recklessly at the worst possible time (I switched from an active job to a desk job - causing almost IMMEDIATE weight gain.) But I just kept going.

My breaking point was about a month ago, the day before I joined MFP.

In preparation for client meetings I started trying on suits - in the last year I've built up my suit wardrobe to about 5 or 6. I had them tailored to take them in and fit just right - but heres the problem, even my "fat" suit was tight and you could see the cellulite in my thighs through them. I wanted to cry...

That was it - I felt disgusting and disappointed that I had let myself get to this point. Now about a month in I'm down 7.8lb, losing slow and steady and feeling just as committed as i did the first day. The support is priceless - it took me about 2 or 3 weeks to start using it and I must say it really helped. You'll meet a lot of us on the message board. Add as you go - We're all in this together! I'll definately add you - our goals are very similar :)
  • macgirl1906
    Options
    Yup! Sure did have that "Breaking Point"!!

Mine was a couple weeks ago! My fiance and I were going somewhere--can't remember where--but I wanted to wear my dress pants--my NICE, hardly worn ones! I grabbed them from the pile and put them on... HA! I had two options, either not wear them, or break my arms trying to get the button to reach the hold to fasten them up! I chose not to wear them of course because I knew how RIDICULOUS I would have looked with my "muffin" hanging over all nasty (I hate to see girls in public that don't care and just let it show...).

I decided then... "What the hell?"...

THEN! My Fiance took me out for my birthday to splurge on some new clothing! :) I was excited to actually get a pair of dress pants that fit comfortably and a new pair of jeans :) After trying on 2 or 3 different sizes--from 13 to 15 to 17 (the biggest pair they had)--and not fitting into any of them, I broke down... My day was ultimately ruined. "I was too fat to where even the BIGGEST pair they had in the store!".

Another thing... I hate taking my jeans off at the end of each night... after I take my jeans off and hold them up and away from my face it disgusts me how WIDE they are... I shouldn't be that wide... if it LOOKS that wide off me... I am scared to death of how other people look at me when I'm wearing them!

All these things led to me deciding--it's time. I don't want to be "FAT" anymore! I'm sick of not being able to wear cute things like other girls do... Especially American Eagle and Hollister clothing--I want to wear that stuff too! I also don't want to check every outfit out in the morning to make sure my "muffin" isn't drastically rolling out of the sides of my jeans!

:)

Just thought I'd share!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was February of this year. I had been through 3 round of Fertility Treatments (Clomid & IUI) and it wasn't working. I'm almost 32 years old and I wanted a baby by the time I was 25!! ...

Well My work changed insurance companies and I had to leave my Fertility Doctor, and switched to HMO insurance. So new doctor and new gyno, new procedures, which they required I go through before I could go to another Fertility Dr.

I weighed in at 297 pounds!! ... I was so disgusted, I was 3lbs away from 200... I could not believe it.... and what pushed me the most, is when the dr told me "People like you, the only solution is lapband surgery".. so I walked out of that office that day with tears in my eyes, and my adrenaline rushing.. DETERMINED to prove her wrong.

I lost 21lbs my first month...
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I lost 21lbs my first month...

Hell Yeah!! Stuff like this makes me so mad, some dr's are so quick to push on surgery instead of trying to find a solution to the problem. WTG on the weight loss!!