Weighing food

Options
I just bought a digital food scale, and I'm a bit confused, so here I go....Do I weigh the food before or after it's cooked? For some reason I've got this mental block going on!

I make my own nut butters, no added ingredients, just a pinch of salt, so how do I weigh a tablespoon of cashew butter? I need help.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weigh the tablespoon. Weigh the tablespoon with the nut butter. Remove the difference. Et voila.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Even easier, put the spoon on the scale first, then turn it on so it reads zero with the spoon on top (the tare weight of the spoon). Then scoop out your butter and measure it again. This will give you the weight of the butter.
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    In terms of looking up the ounces of something on MFP, it will tell you whether something is cooked or raw, often. If you want to eat 4 oz of beef then you weigh it after its cooked and find the cooked figure on MFP. I always weigh what I actually eat, so often that means cooked.

If you have a digital scale, you might have a Tare feature. You put, say, a bowl on the scale and press the Tare button (or similar). The scale will zero out again and whatever you put in the bowl will be the only thing that is weighed. It's pretty cool.
  • rlu1028
    rlu1028 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unless I can use a measuring spoon, I weigh my food using grams, as I can be more exact (28 possible measurements per oz, whereas my digital scale only displays 4 per oz). I use 2 methods for measuring ingredients (depends on whether I think I'll spill!): I weigh the container that I'm putting the ingredient into, then the container after adding the ingredient. Alternatively, using the package the ingredient comes in, I weigh it before I remove my desired amount, then reweigh it after removal.
  • helenanavarro1993
    Options
    I use to measure most of the ingredients I eat before I cook them, specially foods like pasta or rice, otherwise you'll be counting the water it absorbs while cooking. I think the same goes with porridge/oatmeal...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Always weight before cooking. The only time to weigh after cooking is to portion. Calorie/nutrition data is always based on raw/uncooked product unless it specifically says "cooked".

Why? Because the cooking method can never be 100% the same every time.

Weigh out 6oz of raw chicken breast, and it will be 6oz of raw chicken breast every time. But maybe tonight you cook it perfectly so it's still moist and juicy inside. But tomorrow you over cook it and now it's sorta dry inside. Those two cooked chicken breasts both have the same calorie/nutrition info, but the overlooked one will weigh less because you have cooked out more of the natural juices (which don't carry away calories).

With dry goods it's the opposite effect. Weigh out 40g of rice and you always have your serving size. But depending on how much water it absorbs on that particular night of cooking, it will weigh different amounts (and even take up different volume) in a cooked state depending on that amount of absorption.

But say you have a family of four and you want to cook four servings of rice, so you weigh out 160g and cook it. Now is when you weigh after cooking. Find the weight of the cooked rice, divide by four, and you have your single serving portion.

It's why any commercial you hear, or any restaurant that has steak on the menu, has a disclaimer that the weight is uncooked weight. Because someone that orders a rare 10oz strip steak is going to end up with a heavier cooked steak than the person that ordered a 10oz medium strip steak. And why if you ever weighed a Quarter Pound burger, it would probably weigh closer to 3oz.

And yes, make sure your scale has a Tare function. That way you can zero out the weight of whatever you're measuring in. Or, can keep weighing items into the same bowl/pot and just keep zeroing out what's already been added. :)
  • rhapsodygirl
    Options
    Yes, the scale I just bought from Walmart has the Tare function. I've been playing around with it, getting used to it. I looked at the raisin box and it said 1/4 cup (40g) is 130 calories. I first put the measuring cup on the scale, then hit the Tare button, I was surprised to see just how much in raisins there was!

I'm sure the more I use it, the better I'll get at weighing. I've never used a food scale in my life, so this is really new to me.

Thank you all for being so helpful:smile: .

P.S. It's the Biggest Loser Scale made by Taylor, weighs up to 11 pounds.
  • SULLINEWF
    SULLINEWF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Since we're on this topic, can somebody help me? I'm new to the site and struggling with grams...

Can you not change the measurement to ounces? I have no idea what a 100 gms looks like. Yes I can use my food scale and change it to grams when I'm at home and preparing meals but sometimes, when I'm out (like today), how do I know what 20 grams of Falafel looks like??? Finding it challenging switching from WW points system to MFP but loving this program and site... any info you can provide, would be greatly helpful! Thanks.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I was told that the most reliable entries in the database are those without an asterisk and most of these are for raw food. They also provide a nice variety of measurement options. For SULLINEWF ... There are lots of online converters that are helpful to go between imperial and metric measurements, but 100g is about 3.5 oz.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For weighing the nut butter, put the container with the nut butter on the scale (without the lid) and zero the scale.

Take your spoon and scoop out the nut butter until the reading on the scale is the desired (but negative) measurement.

I think this is the most direct method rather than weighing the spoon itself. Using this method you can also lick the spoon.
  • SULLINEWF
    SULLINEWF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... that was very helpful!
  • rhapsodygirl
    Options
    Thank you all for your input :)