What Am I Doing Wrong? Help Please! :)

Options
Hey All

My food diary is open. Can you guys take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong? The scale is BARELY moving and I am working my *kitten* off and eating really well (at least what I think is really well!) I've been doing that for a few weeks now and only lost like 1-2lbs. Typically when I cut my carbs out (refined) and watch what I eat, the weight comes off pretty easily (it has in the past). This time... it just seems different. The scale isn't moving. I am doing 30 day shred and/or running almost everyday.

If anyone has any advice of different things I can try, please let me know :)

Thanks!

Replies

• apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hello! After a cursory glance at your food diary, I don't see a single vegetable on there. You eat a lot of fruit and nuts and lean protein, which is all great! However, I know for me personally if I eat a lot of vegetables I not only notice a difference on the scale but in how I feel. Maybe you eat vegetables more and I just didn't see it in the 3 days of your diary I looked at. Also, you don't seem to hit your calorie goals most days. If you're working out super hard you could be shocking your system by eating too few calories. Just my opinions based on what I've found works for me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right away what you're doing wrong. You're not eating enough. 1200 is the BARE MINIMUM a person should eat. Stop eating below that. Also, eat back your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel for the work you're doing. MFP already works out your deficit for you, so eat, eat eat!

Also, go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 and figure out your TDEE-20% following this guys' steps. If you're doing things right, then your MFP numbers and TDEE numbers should be pretty close. You can either eat using the TDEE-20% method (don't eat exercise calories if you do so), or MFP. But either way, both are going to tell you to eat more calories.

Don't be scared of the calories. You're still at a deficit. With more calories, you will be happier and you'll be able to sustain your lifestyle change.
  • eclaire9
    eclaire9 Posts: 44
    Options
    Yeah I do eat a lot of carrots and spinach. But that's good advice, I will try to incorporate more veggies into my daily eating. Thank you.

As for not hitting my calorie goal - I am really struggling with that. I just get full and am not hungry (truly! I LOVE food!) so I don't know if I should force myself to eat when I am not hungry just to meet my goal?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?

ETA: Age? Height?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do eat a lot of carrots and spinach. But that's good advice, I will try to incorporate more veggies into my daily eating. Thank you.

As for not hitting my calorie goal - I am really struggling with that. I just get full and am not hungry (truly! I LOVE food!) so I don't know if I should force myself to eat when I am not hungry just to meet my goal?

If you're really not hungry enough to eat more food, try incorporating more calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, eggs, full fat dairy, cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt, protein shakes and smoothies, etc. all add a quick boost of calories without much extra food.
  • eclaire9
    Options
    I can tell you right away what you're doing wrong. You're not eating enough. 1200 is the BARE MINIMUM a person should eat. Stop eating below that. Also, eat back your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel for the work you're doing. MFP already works out your deficit for you, so eat, eat eat!

Also, go here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 and figure out your TDEE-20% following this guys' steps. If you're doing things right, then your MFP numbers and TDEE numbers should be pretty close. You can either eat using the TDEE-20% method (don't eat exercise calories if you do so), or MFP. But either way, both are going to tell you to eat more calories.

Don't be scared of the calories. You're still at a deficit. With more calories, you will be happier and you'll be able to sustain your lifestyle change.

Okay, I will start eating more and will eat back my exercise calories! Lets see if that helps :) Fingers crossed :)

Also, going to read that long post now to figure out the TDEE stuff. Thanks so much!
  • eclaire9
    Options

If you're really not hungry enough to eat more food, try incorporating more calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, eggs, full fat dairy, cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt, protein shakes and smoothies, etc. all add a quick boost of calories without much extra food.

Avocado and eggs! Yum! Both great suggestions... going to pick some up tomorrow and start adding those in to my daily food intake!

Sometimes I just get stuck on WHAT to eat... coming up with different things, ya know? Appreciate it :)
  • eclaire9
    Options

Yes, I weigh and/or measure all of my food. I have done that in the past A LOT, so most of it I can eye ball now and I know I am in the general ballpark.

I am 31 and 5'9" and without stating my weight (boo!) I have about 40lbs to lose!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No problem. It works, I promise!
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I really can't offer much advice simply because I haven't been doing so well myself and I'm no expert. There are many people here who know a LOT about fitness and nutrition. Just please keep in mind that you should experiment until you find what works. If the first thing you try works then keep doing it! If not, don't get discouraged. Many people have success with TDEE - whatever % and many people have success with something else. Some people (my mom for example) NEVER counted calories a day in her life and lost 10 lbs a month for 6 months simply by going to overeaters anonymous and having a set amount of fruits, veggies and protein to eat every day, regardless of what food she chose. Don't give up.. I do agree though that you should be eating more since your calorie requirements are already at 1200. :) I'll add you if you'd like.. good luck!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little....as an earlier poster said 1200 is a bare minimum....up your intake and you will start to see pounds drop again
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Yes, I weigh and/or measure all of my food. I have done that in the past A LOT, so most of it I can eye ball now and I know I am in the general ballpark.

I am 31 and 5'9" and without stating my weight (boo!) I have about 40lbs to lose!

You have been at it for a few weeks and have lost a couple of pounds. Maybe do not eyeball or be in the general ballpark for your food and actually weigh it to get an accurate picture of your intake?
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have not lost weight, but have you lost any inches? Sometimes the body will go into a type of 'shock' mode when it feels we are losing to much and not getting enough. However, maybe all the work your doing is coming off of areas such as the waist, thighs, arms etc. Your just not seeing this on the scales.