Don't call me skinny.

Options

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Why is it ok to ridicule the slim but not the fat?

It's not okay to make fun of someone's weight, whether she is fat or slim. However, I completely disagree with your implied assertion that it is not generally accepted to ridicule fat people. It most certainly is generally perceived that it is okay to ridicule fat people, particularly those who are obese. Jokes, mean comments, snide insults, snickers, stares - fat people get them all.

Again, it's not okay for people to make fun of your weight, but you certainly aren't alone. Ridicule is not the burden of the slim.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I look forward to being called skinny, even too skinny. I'm sorry it stresses you, though. People are always going to talk. Always.
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Both my wife and get that, as well as snide comments about how "active" we are. We are always running, racing, cycling, swimming, hiking, etc, and are very carefull about what we eat.

It always amazes me the amount of people (whom 95% would be considered overweight, and are the ones complaining about it) give us grief about how "thin" we are or about how much we do, or that we order grilled chicken with a water instead of the double baconator, large fry, and a jumbo softdrink...

I have had to bite my tounge a few times when I wanted to say..I'm not actually that skinny, I just look that way compared how grossly overweight you are....... instead I smile...
  • nikkinoonarr
    Options
    We are all amazing. I am so glad I chose to rant here. I could quite easily have posted a photo of a woman my size on facebook and captioned it with "Slender is better" ha ha ha ha ha ha! do you think I would have been warmly received???

Reading through some of the comments attached to a larger lady photo I noticed that anyone who commented about being slim was immediately shot down.

I believe that every person in this world is unique and beautiful. Well it would never do if we all wanted exactly the same body shape. That would be boring.

I love you all and really really appreciate your comments and thoughts. x
  • cfblais
    cfblais Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to your post and I feel your frustration, it's aggravating to be told you're too thin by people who don't really understand what a healthy body is. You can be healthy and still carry extra weight. You can be thin and still not be healthy. I like the comment "I'm not skinny, I'm fit" because it's similar to how I explain my efforts. I am not trying to get skinny, I'm trying to get healthy. I'm trying to get stronger. I'm trying to get faster. I'm trying to build endurance so I can do the things I love longer and without pain. I'm trying to make the quality of every day the best it can be and by eating healthy (and I eat a ton) and exercising, I'm enjoying life and feel better than I ever have. I'm also very lucky to be involved in a fitness class called Derby Lite (rollerskating for fun/fitness) where we have women of all ages, sizes and fitness levels. If there's one thing I've learned, you can't judge a woman's fitness by the size of her booty. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we need to support each other in our efforts to become healthier and stronger - as for beautiful - well, we already are...
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    They call you a skinny cow? That's the weirdest insult ever.

Anyway, I like the "I'm not skinny, I'm fit!" thing too. =)

Have to agree, odd comment to make. I'd probably just say back "Jealous?"
  • nikkinoonarr
    Options
    Why is it ok to ridicule the slim but not the fat?

It's not okay to make fun of someone's weight, whether she is fat or slim. However, I completely disagree with your implied assertion that it is not generally accepted to ridicule fat people. It most certainly is generally perceived that it is okay to ridicule fat people, particularly those who are obese. Jokes, mean comments, snide insults, snickers, stares - fat people get them all.

Again, it's not okay for people to make fun of your weight, but you certainly aren't alone. Ridicule is not the burden of the slim.

I do agree with everything you have said here. It is not ok to ridicule anyone about anything. Remember I was obese. I had the abuse for having "Thunder Thighs" and a "Fat Bum" I think that for me this is just so new. I am so not used to abuse about being "Skinny"
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I got my first "you're not going to lose too much more, are you?" comment last week. I wanted to lift up my shirt, show my belly rolls, and scream, "Lady, I'm still 190 pounds!" But I restrained myself. Some people just don't know better, and most people aren't trying to be insensitive and offensive. I know me, and I know what I want, and that's all that matters. Other people's opinions go in one ear and right out the other.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I get this too! I am still technically overweight! I still have a belly to lose. People tell me I should stop now all the time. I even get it on occasion from my wife! It is really frustrating. I don't judge people who are overweight or obese, because I have totally been there (about 120 lbs. heavier at one time).

By your pictures, you do not look "skinny", you look fit and healthy and happy! Good job! Enjoy your success for you and your family and don't worry about what others think or say.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. It get's old.

However, in my case, the problem may be me. I'm thinking that I have been self-loathing for so long that I can't even hear a compliment as a compliment. "You look so great" to my mind means "Thank gawd you lost weight because you looked like h3ll before". "You're getting too skinny" sounds more like "Great, now you've found another extreme method for looking like cr@p". "You aren't planning to lose anymore weight are you?" instantly hits my ears sounding like "You've gone too far already and you look gross".

So perhaps, in my case, the problem isn't the commenters. The problem may just be the filter between their mouth and my brain that re-writes a compliment into something sinister...
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have had people tell me i look good, and I have thought about lifting up my shirt and saying "how is having fat rolls on my back and a semi big belly looking good?" Heck, I'm still 174.4 and on a short person, it's noticeable as can be.

I can't wait until the day where I have muscles showing, where I don't have to cover up every ounce of my skin and maybe for once in my life I can wear a bikini. I still have a ways to go but one day, I will get there.

Btw, you look amazing and beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Holy crap was that a good rant! Granted I've never been told I look "skinny" because I've been overweight and then eventually obese (where I am now) so not like that would come up. But I hate - HATE - that word, "skinny". That word to me isn't healthy. That word to me doesn't mean one takes care of themselves. And it certainly doesn't meant to me that the person has good muscle either. Being skin and bones is not the look I'm going for, ever. Knowing me I'd have some snarky comment back at them depending on who the person was that said it. :(
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    First off, I feel your pain. Unsupportive people are the worst, esp. ones who don't mind their own beeswax. But.....I miss being called skinny. I used to get it all the time, and loved it. Now I'm "The girl who used to be skinny" or "Vicki who gained all that weight". I'll take skinny any time. But unwelcome comments are, well, unwelcome.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I like being called skinny, it feels way better than being fat. Most people mean it as a compliment and those that don't, well they would find something else to hate on anyway. I honestly prefer skinny to fit, just my personal preference.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm 246 pounds and I already have people telling me I have lost enough weight... I can only imagine their dismay when I lose another hundred pounds.

And to be called a skinny cow? That's just weird....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I want to shout at people when they call me a skinny cow and say "well at least I'm not a fat cow like you" but I don't, because that is rude. Why is it ok to ridicule the slim but not the fat? why do people turn against you when you have worked really hard to get where you are. In a room full of people if someone shouts "Yo Skinny Girl" nobody would bat an eye. If I shouted "Hey Fat Girl" everyone would look at me and tut and give me dirty looks and probably throw a few insults at me.

Remember I have now been at both ends of this scale. I am slim, I was overweight, I was obese. I have seen it all, I have heard it all. I have had insults for being big and now for being slim.

Jealousy.

Just ignore it. Or start firing back if you really want to shut people up.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Lots of people still don't get that body shaming ANY type of body is wrong and hurtful. They also don't understand that sometimes their opinions of other peoples' bodies should just be kept to themselves.

And seriously, who's calling you a skinny cow? I don't think they should be on your friends list.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Some people think skinny is a compliment, almost the ultimate compliment (many women in my family think this). Curvy is also a euphemism, that doesn't really describe body shape very well either. I have my own opinions on the definition of curvy, but I don't want to derail your thread.

The only thing "real" women have in common is that we all have vaginas. :)

Pretty comes in all packages, and most importantly from within.

Considering all of the "fat" discrimination and mistreatment out their, for many people, insulting "skinny" people feels like a small way to combat all of the messaging that tells you that you are worthless/lazy/ugly/etc because of your weight. The best way to deflect it to leave weight out of the conversation altogether. Healthy is as healthy does.

Another alternative comment? We focus so much on judging and categorizing women based on looks and not character, I'd prefer if you'd evaluate me on my merits, and not the scale." ;)
  • Pearliture
    Options
    I sometimes wonder the same thing. I have worked wirh the same people for 5 years and been with me bf for 10. My co workers met me when i weighed about 275 then on top of tjat I then continued to gain til I was in the 300's. My bf met me when I was around 220 he has watched my weight fluctuate until I decided I seriously needed a change. I asked him WHY IF YOU LOVE ME SO MUCH DID YOU NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY WEIGHT. His response was I said nothing because I love you, besides how would the conversation go " honey ilove you but you are getting fat" then you would lock yourself in the bathroom and i would have ended up single. No thank you. I would love to know why there is a double standard it is impolite to point out someone gaining weight or being fat be it is perfectly acceptable to share your opinion about someone losing a lot of weight and being " too skinny" especially for me right now i am told " you have lost enough" and to that i say you may think so but my scale begs to differ and my bmi still tells me i am obese.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bc theyre jelous