Stubborn Belly Fat

Options
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I am trying to get rid of stubborn belly fat but nothing is working :sad:
I'm eating a healthy diet of 1200 calories a day, exercising 6 days a week about an hour each time. I'm currently using Hip Hop Abs, Spin class, and walking 3 miles, I do each 2 days per week. I have been losing weight at a steady pace and losing inches except around my waist.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Might try doing a search for "stubborn belly fat". So many topic matches to that.

Anyway, patience, keep losing fat, and incorporate some strength training. Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can't do anything that will make the weight come off of a certain place. If you're losing weight, keep it up. It'll come off eventually. A lot of people find that the stomach area is the last to go, unfortunately.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You are not quite to the stubborn fat zone yet. Annoying maybe, but not stubborn. It will come off where it wants when it wants according to your body programming. Sorry, dems da breaks.
  • gabelle321
    Options
    I'm not giving up and I will keep going it's just sooo frustrating :explode:
    I have been thinking of adding some weight training so hopefully that will help.
    Thanks everyone!!
  • eklugus
    eklugus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The middle is the last to go. Think long term and stick to your routines, it will have to go eventually. Also, unless you are trying to become an underwear model, you probably look great if a little belly fat is all that you have left.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes you should add in some strength training as it has many benefits. However this will not reduce belly fat. Just keep eating at a deficit and the fat will go eventually.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You only think you want to lose stubborn belly fat, because when you look in the mirror it's the easiest fat to see.

But the rest of the world has to look at your behind most of the time, and as far as your health goes, the fat between and around your organs is the most important.

Anyway, that's what helps me feel better about it. I'm well below original goal weight, and I still have stubborn belly fat. (It is gradually going away tho)
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am only now starting to notice a change with mine. The 30DS helped a bit but 2.5 weeks into Insanity and I am already noticing some changes. The saggy pouch part isn't so pouchy or saggy any more! Just keep working out and eating correctly and it will move.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I lost several inches off my thighs and hips, as well as my waist, but when I look in the mirror I'm more critical that I don't have a smaller stomach.

It's coming along. It just takes time.

We can't see your food diary, but if you're eating plenty of fruits, vegs, leaner meats, complex carbs and quality fats, you're doing all you can. Remember muscle burns more calories!
  • lilo617
    lilo617 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With all the exercise you are getting, you might want to push a little harder in your exercises. For example, instead of just walking the 3 miles, you might want to do a walk/jog combination. More cardio will burn more fat, even the stubborn belly fat. Adding in a small core workout on top of your spin class and walk days can help too.

Also, with the amount of exercise you are doing, you want to make sure that you are fueling your body enough to accomadate what your body needs. I also work out about 6 times a week and I usually eat around 1800-1900 calories per day, which is normal for me and I am diabetic, so I am even more careful. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound and if you are not eating enough calories with how much you are exercising, then your body can actually start storing fat so that your body doesn't starve (it has happened to me). Calculate your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) to find out how much you should be eating even. There are plenty of online calculators that can help you figure it out. Here is one that I use: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once you calculate your BMR, you have to multiply it by a factor based on how much you exercise (i.e. intensity & frequency). This will give you how many calories per day you eat to maintain your weight at what it is. Subtracting a deficit of 500 calories/day (which will help you lose 1 lb/week), then you'll know if you are at the right range. Myfitnesspal is great for keeping count of calories, however sometimes their suggested caloric intake can be a bit off.

P.S. there is a ton of research on this if you'd like to check it our for yourself.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I bet there is fat there, I mean you have to sit down and see it over your jeans
    you have to button your pants
    you have to rock a swim suit
    your eyes have to view looking down at your self in the shower

etc, etc,ect, perhaps you arnt noticing how much your losing around the middle because your obsessed w/it, as are most of us

think of all the cellulite and build up of fat around the walls of your stomach lining. it takes a lonnnnng time to lose all that.

your waist isn't gonna really lose inches as much as its going to not feel and look so bloated at first, IMO

keep doing what your doing, I swear all the activity your professing will surley make an impact, eventually
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have read in various different places that there is a huge, huge different between a healthy 'weight loss' diet, and a 'fat loss' diet.

For example a healthy breakfast, of say wholegrain, low sugar breakfast cereal, with 100mls milk, an apple, and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. - While this is a 'healthy' breakfast, it provides you with various nutrients, fills you up etc, it isn't a 'fat loss' diet..

A breakfast of lets say, an egg white vegetable omelette, and water. That is a 'fat loss' breakfast...

I am only recently learning about the difference between this and realising that since I have swapped certain foods in my diet for 'fat loss' substitutes, and taken out some of the foods I ate just because they were healthy, I am definitely seeing a difference!

Also ease back on the cardio a bit, perhaps use 2 days a week for cardio, and 3 days a week for strength.. When woman strength train, we don't get big and bulky like men because we simply don't have the testosterone levels for it.. Woman body builders are only that big and bulky due to testosterone supplements, steroids etc. It's more important to start building lean muscle mass, and muscle at a resting rate burns 9 times more calories that fat does. While cardio is important, keeping it short, sweet and high intensity s the key i think! For example on a 3 mile walk. Walk at a fast pace for 2 minutes, and jog for one minute. This helps get the calories really burning. But also after long long bouts of cardio your body starts using muscle rather than fat as fuel.. So keeping them short and sweet is key!

I've spent months really trying to get knowledgeable about all this, and it's only now since I have started implementing a lot of these methods that I'm seeing great, satisfying results.. Hope this has helped!
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i was just coming to post this topic. i am finally down below my pre pregnancy weight but i still have a big flab of fat on my belly. which i did not have at this weight before. i thought i would look like i did before at this same weight. i guess i have more to come off.

i hate the belly fat. bleh.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I have read in various different places that there is a huge, huge different between a healthy 'weight loss' diet, and a 'fat loss' diet.

For example a healthy breakfast, of say wholegrain, low sugar breakfast cereal, with 100mls milk, an apple, and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. - While this is a 'healthy' breakfast, it provides you with various nutrients, fills you up etc, it isn't a 'fat loss' diet..

A breakfast of lets say, an egg white vegetable omelette, and water. That is a 'fat loss' breakfast...

I am only recently learning about the difference between this and realising that since I have swapped certain foods in my diet for 'fat loss' substitutes, and taken out some of the foods I ate just because they were healthy, I am definitely seeing a difference!

Also ease back on the cardio a bit, perhaps use 2 days a week for cardio, and 3 days a week for strength.. When woman strength train, we don't get big and bulky like men because we simply don't have the testosterone levels for it.. Woman body builders are only that big and bulky due to testosterone supplements, steroids etc. It's more important to start building lean muscle mass, and muscle at a resting rate burns 9 times more calories that fat does. While cardio is important, keeping it short, sweet and high intensity s the key i think! For example on a 3 mile walk. Walk at a fast pace for 2 minutes, and jog for one minute. This helps get the calories really burning. But also after long long bouts of cardio your body starts using muscle rather than fat as fuel.. So keeping them short and sweet is key!

I've spent months really trying to get knowledgeable about all this, and it's only now since I have started implementing a lot of these methods that I'm seeing great, satisfying results.. Hope this has helped!

No.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories slightly and incorporate weight training into your workouts. Add more protein to your diet.

More cals + high protein will preserve muscle. Eating 1200 cals will burn muscle as well as fat, resulting in a drop in your metabolism, which is a likely reason why the stubborn belly fat isn't moving. :smile:

ETA: Your body needs to run EFFICIENTLY to burn stubborn fat like that. Giving it more fuel (and from good sources, like protein) will help you be more efficient.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hmmm, hip hop abs isn't working?? i'm stumped.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up and I will keep going it's just sooo frustrating :explode:
    I have been thinking of adding some weight training so hopefully that will help.
    Thanks everyone!!

+1 for strength training.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Increase your calories slightly and incorporate weight training into your workouts. Add more protein to your diet.

More cals + high protein will preserve muscle. Eating 1200 cals will burn muscle as well as fat, resulting in a drop in your metabolism, which is a likely reason why the stubborn belly fat isn't moving. :smile:

ETA: Your body needs to run EFFICIENTLY to burn stubborn fat like that. Giving it more fuel (and from good sources, like protein) will help you be more efficient.

Explain to me why I'm losing my belly fat from being in Japan, eating less protein, and way more sugar and starches?

Maybe it's the greater calorie deficit? Hmmm...
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Explain to me why I'm losing my belly fat from being in Japan, eating less protein, and way more sugar and starches?

Maybe it's the greater calorie deficit? Hmmm...

Because everyone's different and there isn't a one-fits-all for everyone.

There is, however, an opportunity to share personal experiences (the above is the only thing that works for me) with the intention that someone may find it useful.