feet hurt after exercise

Options
I am VERY overweight and trying to add exercise in. I can walk on my treadmill for 1 mile at 2.5-2.7 pace, but my one heel hurts then for 2-3 days after that.. probably plantars fasciitis. Anyone have suggestions? I don't want to quit trying

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need better shoes!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    How about alternating walking with an exercise bike or a rowing machine? And yes, better shoes might help, although only so much.
  • proddy65
    Options
    I bought Acsic (not sure spelled right) and they feel good while they are on, hurts after taking them off
  • proddy65
    Options
    I have cut down to just twice a week now to see if it will resolve.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Look into swimming or water aerobics. A lot of disabled people do that -- low/no impact.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It could also be Plantar calcaneal bursitis or a heel spur.

It would probably be best to see a doctor about this pain as it's unlikely it will go away on it's own.

Depending on what the diagnoses is, a massage therapist can help you with the Plantar fasciitis and give you exercises and stretches to do at home to help with the condition. You can also try to ice it a few times a day for 20 mins, this should reduce the inflammation and help manage your pain.

For now, stick to lower impact activities as suggested above. =)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BB has a good idea. Stationary bikes are great, and the pressure is off your aching feet too. Also, as someone else suggested, swimming too.

In the meantime grab some pain killers. I know its no fun. I keep working in exercise even with an injured knee, just had to adjust what I chose to do. Pain sucks, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get over the hump.

Good luck to you, and know that you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I dealt with pain from a torn achilles tendon for a long time (a few years) When I finally went I had to wear a boot for 19 weeks. I wish now I'd of gone before I did. I probably wouldn't of been down as long. As far as exercises, stationary bike was the first thing I was allowed to do after the boot. I still tend to favor it, but don't want to be back in that boot ever. Good luck I hope your's isn't very bad :)
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    well you can look into ankle braces of some sort.
    You can do warm up exercises with your feet
    you can look into new runners
    see a doctor
    or try other kinds of exercises, like swimming per example is very gently on the body. :)

I wish you all the luck!!!
  • mikenelson20
    mikenelson20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Never mind the name brand of shoes. A new pair should feel as good as an old, beat up pair. Go to running/walking shoe store. Yes you will pay a bit more, but in the end it is well worth it.

I know exactly what you are going through. I had planter fasciitis and it was not fun, and to boot (no pun intended), you cannot do anything. See a chiropractor and get a foot analyze done, maybe orthotics will help (maybe pronounced heel strike or heel spurs). You may also need a second pair of walking shoes to wear around the house, if your arches need some support till they heal.

There are lots of exercises on the net that help with that. Massage works as well. Otherwise you have no choice but to take is easy on the feet. Try some other stuff if it is giving you a hard time.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Asics are wonderful shoes .....

But I wouldn't blame them just yet. Especially if your feet feel BETTER with them on and only hurt when you take them off.

I suggest as another has to see your doc to make sure everything is fine and there aren't any underlying issues.

Till then, low impact workouts, biking, swimming, yoga are all great exercises to try as well.

Good luck :)
  • proddy65
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is a cool website and you all are so supportive!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If the pain is localized just to your heel you could also try heel cups. I have a huge heel strike issue and it can cause me some pain from time to time. The Athletic Trainers at my work put a set of Tuli's Heel cups in my shoes and it has been a tremendous help. They cost about $12 a pair, might be what you need, might not. Just a thought.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    all excellent suggestions.
    in terms of the shoe its usually good to go at least a half size up feet can swollen during a workout, specially if you're not use to it.

but you should check with a doctor.