Getting really discouraged

Options
Hi all. I know I am not eating all the right foods. I am new here and still hae alot to learn about healthy eating habits. I have been loggin my food and exercise everyday. But I still feel that I am hungry after I eat. Jut dont feel like I have enough calories. Any suggestions on what I could eat to fill me up more so I am not feeling starving?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How much protein a day are you eating????

I eat 100-130 grams a day of protein and 35-45 grams of fiber. This combination keeps me full all day. I find that if I'm full, I don't snack.

Good luck!
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies anything with fiber or protein will make you feel fuller longer. Just make sure its lean meat like chicken or turkey. Lots of fruit will help too.
  • SkyeBows
    Options
    I have a fix for the starving part but it hasn't helped me with weight loss, so I'd like to see other peoples opinions as well. Basically I me set at the lowest settings and I am a stay at home mom. I workout 90 to 120 minutes a day during the week and on the weekends I take a really long walk with the kids. I have a HRM and I burn anywhere from 800 to 1200 calories doing this, plus grocery shopping once a week I push the cart with my daughter in it and I put my chunky son on me who is 30 pounds this takes two hours and I usually burn another 1000 calories, those are my cheat days since I have so many calories. You are from what I read anyways to eat half of your exercise calories. Well on a avg daily basis including my exercise calories I am allowed an extra 400 to 600 calories sometimes another 500 depending on the day. Basically at the end of the day if I am truly still hungry I head out on an hour walk with the kids and come back and eat. So this is how I have fixed my hunger and I hardly ever go over but not my real problem is my food choices :( and I haven't lost very much weight so I am sure your real food choices mean more then your calories but we are broke so unfortunately in order for me to eat my calories back, unhealthy is cheaper :( and easier
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    foods high in fiber
  • sharonmac
    Options
    My aunt is a member here too and she said the same thing. More fiber and protein. I know I am not getting enough of those. Any suggestions on meals high in both?
  • andimarie10
    Options
    Hey there!
    I'm new at this site also, and I am feeling exactly the same way!! I know it's because I don't know how to eat properly (too many junky snacks, etc..). I don't have any helpful suggestions just yet but I am also hoping to get some insight...just wanted you to know that I'm in the same boat!! Good Luck!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The best thing for feeling full is fibre and protein. Make sure you have each of them for every meal as that will help. Google good sources of these and add them to every snack as well. Also make sure to have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner every day along with all that water!

I started MFP in November 2009 and kept logging everything, in fact I couldn't eat anything without running to log in to see how it would affect my daily totals. It took me until May 2010 to "get it" and find my own rhythm. Since May I've steadily lost 2 pounds per week.

This is not an overnight fix, it does take time to find your way. Be patient with yourself and log every little morsel. I learned more about myself from my bad days, and first number of months because I was completely honest, logging every bite. Only when you review this and track it can you figure out how to fix your personal demons.

Good luck!
  • njjbosse
    Options
    if its really hunger and not just a desire to munch on food (this was a hard distinction for me to make for a while after i had my baby) my secret is brown rice with goya sazon. it's really yummy and a cup (which does'nt sound like much, but it nearly fills a cereal bowl! with 1/2 packet of goya sazon only has 150 calories in it, and it's so filling that usually after i eat it i'm so bloated i don't want to think about food for the next few hours. try it for lunch with some fruit or veggies (something high fiber and low calorie) and you'll feel full, and be amazed at how many calories you have left at the end of the day to eat something really yummy!
  • MissKaylaDawn
    Options
    I always have water with me, that tends to help. My mom used diet soda. When she ran out of calories, she would drink a diet soda and it would make her fill full ( I would do that all the time, a lot of sodium is bad too) I use Special k bars for my snacks. 90 calories and they keep my filled up. Little things like that or try fruits, fruits too help tokeep you not so hungry.
    Kayla
  • sharonmac
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    Fiber. Fiber. Fiber. I like the Fiber One muffins! Fantastic for Breakfast! I carry fiber bars with me EVERYWHERE... Here are some other suggestions! Remember.. These are only foods high in fiber!

~ Fruits Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Raspberries 1 cup 8.0
    Pear, with skin 1 medium 5.5
    Apple, with skin 1 medium 4.4
    Strawberries (halves) 1 1/4 cup 3.8
    Banana 1 medium 3.1
    Orange 1 medium 3.1
    Figs, dried 2 medium 1.6
    Raisins 2 tablespoons 1.0

~ Grains, cereal & pasta Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Spaghetti, whole-wheat, cooked 1 cup 6.2
    Barley, pearled, cooked 1 cup 6.0
    Bran flakes 3/4 cup 5.3
    Oat bran muffin 1 medium 5.2
    Oatmeal, quick, regular or instant, cooked 1 cup 4.0
    Popcorn, air-popped 3 cups 3.5
    Brown rice, cooked 1 cup 3.5
    Bread, rye 1 slice 1.9
    Bread, whole-wheat or multigrain 1 slice 1.9

~Legumes, nuts & seeds Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Split peas, cooked 1 cup 16.3
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 15.6
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 15.0
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 13.2
    Baked beans, vegetarian, canned, cooked 1 cup 10.4
    Sunflower seed kernels 1/4 cup 3.9
    Almonds 1 ounce (23 nuts) 3.5
    Pistachio nuts 1 ounce (49 nuts) 2.9
    Pecans 1 ounce (19 halves) 2.7

~Vegetables Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 10.3
    Peas, cooked 1 cup 8.8
    Broccoli, boiled 1 cup 5.1
    Turnip greens, boiled 1 cup 5.0
    Sweet corn, cooked 1 cup 4.2
    Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 4.1
    Potato, with skin, baked 1 medium 2.9
    Tomato paste 1/4 cup 2.7
    Carrot, raw 1 medium 1.7

GOOD LUCK!! Keep your head up! Don't let the dirrrtttty little monster called "discouraged" get to you! Keep your head up & SMILE!!! :flowerforyou:
  • silver12176
    silver12176 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water. I have read that sometimes feeling hungry is a sign of actually being thirsty,
  • sharonmac
    Options
    Great advice everyone. Thanks so much!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone....fruits, protein and fiber. And Water.

Little late getting here. When I go into the starving mode I drink a large glass of water and have a fiber bar. Or some fresh fruit. It always helps.

So don't get discouraged, get a box of raisins!

Seriously, it can be frustrating but the more research you do and the more people you talk to that have "been there, done that" is so very helpful.

All my best and a big HUG
  • sharonmac
    Options
    as soon as hubby gets home im going to the grocery store. :happy:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi Honey,

Uncle SharonMac (aka Mr LainMac) has oatmeal everyday with sugar (real) and egg white protein powder. He calls it the "donut for the middle age man".

Here are two of my better fiber friendly breakfasts, you can look them up for the full details.

Tuesday August 17, 2010

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    1/4 Cup Whole Milk - Vitamin D Milk, 1/2 cup
    Arnold - Whole Grains Bread - Double Fiber 100% Whole Wheat Bread , 2 slice
    Morning Star - Soy Sausage Patty, 1 pattie
    Cheese - Provolone, 1 oz

Cals 460, Fiber 13

Friday September10, 2010

Tomato - Raw, Red, 1 tomato
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Egglands Best - Large Eggs, 2 egg
    1/4 Cup Whole Milk - Vitamin D Milk, 1/2 cup
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Milton's - Healthy Multi-Grain English Muffins
    Polaner All Fruit With Fiber - Strawberry Spread
    Grassland - Butter Pat - Foil Wrapped

Cals 447 Fiber 8
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    And when you are shopping, especially in the bread department, read lables.

You'd be amazed at how widely the fiber count is different in each type of bread. Stuff that looks like it would have tons has little and others that are "white" have an okay amount of fiber in them.
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions on here... Also, try drinking about 16 oz of water before a meal. It fills you up rather quickly. I've been told if you're feeling hungry - it's usually because you're dehydrated and not really because you're hungry. Not sure if I believe that, but it makes me drink.
  • sharonmac
    Options
    I love oatmeal aunt Lain Mac
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    I see you just had a baby, are you breastfeeding? If so did you add in the extra calories for breastfeeding. From what I have read you get an extra 500 for breastfeeding. Also everyone else had some excellent suggestions. When I am really hungry I eat popcorn because I can eat alot of it for not very many calories and it keeps me full. I hope this helps