Starting a diet. Advice?

Options
Hello everyone, as of this moment i'm starting what will hopefully be my last diet, i've been struggling with obesity for almost 18 years, I'm currently 23. I usually start really strong and fall apart after a few weeks/months. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me stick to it this time. Thanks!

Replies

• Garden74
    Options
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Don't start a diet.

Start a lifestyle.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you like/enjoy or you will never stick to it. Just find healthier ways to cook them and be careful with portion control.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Incorporate small changes that you can stick to in the long run. It sounds cheesy, but I really do refer to it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. I've lost 42 pounds since January, and I haven't made any big changes.
    I eat all the same foods as I did before; the only difference is that now I log all of my food and make sure that whatever I eat fits into my calorie goal. I make healthy choices, but I also occasionally eat "dirty" foods like pizza, fried pickles, desserts, and alcohol. I exercise 4-5 times a week, but most of my exercise routines are only 30-60 minutes.
    It really is as simple as eating less and moving more. :smile:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what diet you are planning on following. Hard to give advice without knowing that. I'd basically say calculate your TDEE, if you are trying to lose weight, subtract 20% of the calories from your TDEE and eat at that caloric intake. Calculate proper macronutrient intakes and make sure you hit those goals. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT that helps you reach your calorie and macronutrient goals.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Maintain a caloric deficit.

Exercise. Preferably a combo of both cardio & weight lifting.

Profit.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Maintain a caloric deficit.

Exercise. Preferably a combo of both cardio & weight lifting.

Profit.

This.

Search "in place of a road map" on the forums to get started.
  • HYama
    HYama Posts: 11
    Options
    It's a journey, don't beat yourself up if you stray, just find your way back.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Don't start a diet.

Start a lifestyle.
    Well said, and I'm not saying that to get laid!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yeah, don't start a diet
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Before you even drop calories and increase/add exercise, I would advice a person to eat the maximum amount of calories to maintain weight while logging and measuring everything for a month or two. That way you know: a) how many calories your body needs to maintain weight according to present activity; and b) how much of a deficit to create to lose a realistic amount of weight in a given time frame. Furthermore, this also allows your endocrine system to recover after bouts of restriction which lowers your RMR/TDEE and affects fat loss at a specific caloric intake.

Anyway, imagine all the foods you eat during weight maintenance. Now just eat a little less of that. Keep it simple without including very restrictive conditions and rules that you know you couldn't adhere to during maintenance.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Don't start a diet.

Start a lifestyle.
    Well said, and I'm not saying that to get laid!

:huh:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    A diet in temporary, eating healthy + exercise is a lifestyle. I hate the word diet.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    i've been struggling with obesity for almost 18 years, I'm currently 23.

How did you know at 5 yrs old?
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Probably the two best information sources I know of. Watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" (On Netflix, Amazon, maybe even Hulu for free).
    Don't start a diet.

Start a lifestyle.
    ^^^^This is the most important thing to get through your head. It's a mental shift and it's important to make that mental shift.