Splitting of calories during the day

Options
I am not sure what the best way is to split the calories I am allowed (1200) between the 3 meals - more in the moring or lunch time or at night? My aim is to lose 7kg in the next month. I lost 4 in a week and now have slowed down.

Also, if I get a warning that my calorie intake is too low, is this really a problem. I generally eat all or more of my allowance, however, when I walk 6km at night, the burn is about 400 calories and I am not hungry afterwards. should i be eating another 400 calories just to get up to the 1200 again?

Thanks..

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can split your calories up however you like, whatever feels the best for you. You can split it evenly between 3 meals, or eat all of them at dinner- whatever. As long as you get adequate nutrition in the calories, it makes no difference when you want to eat them.

You should absolutely be eating back your exercise calories. If you don't feel hungry, it's not because you don't need the food- it's a self preservation trick your body plays on you when you've drastically restricted the calories. It's counterproductive to undereat- there really are no positive outcomes from it- you won't lose the weight faster and you'll be less healthy along the way, and you have less of a shot at maintaining the loss when you're finished.
  • hadleyritz
    Options
    Thanks! That was really helpful
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can split your calories up however you like, whatever feels the best for you. You can split it evenly between 3 meals, or eat all of them at dinner- whatever. As long as you get adequate nutrition in the calories, it makes no difference when you want to eat them.

You should absolutely be eating back your exercise calories. If you don't feel hungry, it's not because you don't need the food- it's a self preservation trick your body plays on you when you've drastically restricted the calories. It's counterproductive to undereat- there really are no positive outcomes from it- you won't lose the weight faster and you'll be less healthy along the way, and you have less of a shot at maintaining the loss when you're finished.

I agree. Personally, I like a larger dinner. I usually eat a lower calorie breakfast and lunch so most of my calories are available for dinner. I also eat back my exercise calories. I have been on MFP for a year and this method has worked great for me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Listen to the Bean.