Breastfeeding and hunger

Options
Hi my baby is 8 months old and on some solids. I have been having a heck of a time "jumping back on the wagon" for the last couple of months. I have always had a big appetite now it's amplified! I keep getting discouraged day after day. I start the day well then crash by the end of the day I feel I am ALWAYS hungry! I need some motivation or advice. Anyone????

Replies

• estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You need 300cal more daily because of the breast feeding. Are you still breast feeding?? Maybe you need more food. Personally I would try to eat more protein and complex carbs at the beginning of the day. Drink plenty of water. Whenever you want to eat something, drink a glass of water first.
  • HYama
    HYama Posts: 11
    Options
    Nursing takes a lot out of a mom, I'm still nursing my 16 month old twins, and I use it as my calorie burning. I feel you, by the end of the day I'm so hungry that I don't know what to do, but I learned that getting back to my weight goal is a journey and not a challenge. Don't be discouraged by what happens, just get back on the wagon every morning. Things that have helped is making sure to have fruit that is easy to eat; so when I get hungry I reach for a cup of strawberries or a handful of cherries. Also, it helps me SO much to have little snacks through out the day. I just make sure that they're under 120 cals each. So by eating my snack with a glass of ice water I feel full and it keeps me from reaching for something that's a big no no.
  • InLaLaLand04
    InLaLaLand04 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I nursed my 2yr old until she self weaned at about 11 1/2 months. I was ALWAYS starving. Drink LOTS of water. Eat when you are hungry. Definitely up your protein and look for quick healthy but filling snacks. And don't beat your self up about. You're hungry for a good reason :)
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    You need 300cal more daily because of the breast feeding. Are you still breast feeding?? Maybe you need more food. Personally I would try to eat more protein and complex carbs at the beginning of the day. Drink plenty of water. Whenever you want to eat something, drink a glass of water first.

good advice
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have breast all 8 of my kids. I am currently breast feeding my 2 year old. If you feel hungry EAT. Don't eat junk though. Protein, protein, and did I say protein is very important. Nuts and avocados are great sources of healthy fats. Water, water, and more water too. Good for you (and baby) for your choice and ability to breast feed!