Lifters: need info on front squats

My lifting program has front squats for the next two months but doesn't give you any info on them. Had some random guy show me them once. I will be looking at some vids of them. My question is how much weight should I start at? I'm up to 105 lbs on regular squats but can't imagine trying that across my front, or am I wrong? For some reason I'm very nervous about doing these. Any thing I should know or watch for while doing them? Any info would help! Thanks :-)

Replies

• Enchiladas123
    Enchiladas123 Posts: 3 Member
    Just use the bar until you get the hang of it. Once you have it down pat you can up the weight 5-10 pounds at a time until it challenges you. Be sure to keep your torso upright. Don't lean forward or you will lose your balance. They are fun once you get used to it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Here's a good video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zyw3fXZes

If you're just starting any lift you should always start with just the bar.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Start with a broomstick. They require a lot more mobility than back squats.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Thank you! When I think about doing these I actually get very nervous. I was thinking about starting with the bar but wasn't sure if I was just being wimpy! lol
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Let me know how it goes - I got a trainer to show me how to do front squats and they killed my collarbones. I'm super bony in my shoulder/neck/collarbone area and couldn't find a comfortable resting spot. I'm going to keep trying though - determined to get it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    definitely start with something light first with something like a pvc pipe to get used to the bar position and arm placement. you might also need to work through flexibility issues.

for a quick idea of where the bar should be placed on the shoulder shelf that's created when you hold your hand straight out in front of you perpendicularly. there's an indent there and it's basically where the bar should sit. from there you bend at the elbow and slip your finger under the bar to help stabilize it, but the majority of weight is on that shoulder shelf.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    I'm not saying I was good or anything, but I was doing front squat/push presses fairly confidently with NROLFW and I was doing it with 55 lbs. It was challenging!

Take your finger tips and stretch your hand back so that it is palm up. Get used to that feeling. It's sort of awkward and painful at first, but I'm pretty sure this is how your hands should be. Far as I know, the bar should be resting on your fingertips/collar bone area.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    I usually only lift 60% of the weight i would do for back squats its but only because i start with back then do front squats.
  • tracieangeletti
    I will be doing back squats first as well. I'm taking all of your advice and starting really light with either just the bar or perhaps one of the smaller fixed weight bars. Two of you mentioned different kinds of grips. Which one is better or easiest?
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    I lift much lighter with front squats than back squats. I think like 75% of the weight I do on my back. It just always feels awkward to me even when I have the proper form..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    You need very good hip, ankle, thoracic spine, shoulder and wrist mobility to do FS for starters.

If you have issues holding it google how to use straps.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Once you get efficient, you should be able to front squat about 80-90% of your back squat. However, I'd recommend you start light, and work up to this.

Initially you will likely find the limitation is mobility, particularly the areas Chris mentions above, and being comfortable in the rack position. On the topic of rack position, I always prefer the clean rack, partly I'm biased because I'm a weightlifter, but even for a non weightlifter, it has carry over if you ever move on to any form of clean, it's easier to dump the bar if it goes wrong, and you're less likely to run into issues through having one shoulder higher than the other, and therefore lateral curvature in the spine.

Once you get past this, you will likely find that the limit is back strength, as you will struggle to keep the torso upright. You cna go with assistance exercises, but even just doing front squats alone will get you through this.

Finally, you will find that although back strength still comes into it, you are a lot more limited by quad strength, when you get to this stage, you should be getting close to the 80-90% of back squat ratio, and looking good.

Hope that's useful.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    My answer to these types of questions is get a trainer. Yea I know nooone can afford a trainer but I guarantee you that 99% of people who say they can't blow money out the wazoo on all kinds of frivolous bullshhh...There is no replacing someone knowledgeable watching you fail and watching your faults. This isn't play play. This is serious stuff when you start loading joints,ligaments,tendons and muscles, but for some reason the industry downplays this for the sake of always having something new to teach people. I do applaud you for doing squats though. Best exercise on the planet. If you haven't noticed you'll find a billion different bits of advice to the point that eventually it will end up as no advice.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Once you get efficient, you should be able to front squat about 80-90% of your back squat. However, I'd recommend you start light, and work up to this.

Initially you will likely find the limitation is mobility, particularly the areas Chris mentions above, and being comfortable in the rack position. On the topic of rack position, I always prefer the clean rack, partly I'm biased because I'm a weightlifter, but even for a non weightlifter, it has carry over if you ever move on to any form of clean, it's easier to dump the bar if it goes wrong, and you're less likely to run into issues through having one shoulder higher than the other, and therefore lateral curvature in the spine.

Once you get past this, you will likely find that the limit is back strength, as you will struggle to keep the torso upright. You cna go with assistance exercises, but even just doing front squats alone will get you through this.

Finally, you will find that although back strength still comes into it, you are a lot more limited by quad strength, when you get to this stage, you should be getting close to the 80-90% of back squat ratio, and looking good.

Hope that's useful.

I'm sure she's right with ya on that.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    I currently back squat for a 1rm of 395lbs (UK Kg plates) and front Squat for just under 200lbs to give you an idea of my ratio of front to back squat.

One thing I found help immensely was actually working on a half decent clean grip. It so much more stable than crossed arms and means im not spending half my energy keeping the bar stable.

I love front squats, throw in a powerclean at the start and you don't even need a rack so you can do them in the middle of the gym floor.... in your underpants.... not all gyms may allow this though :)
  • tracieangeletti
    Well I did them this morning and survived!!! Luckily, for me, yesterday at the gym a gentleman was doing them and I watched his form. He very nicely showed me how he does them and even helped me do some, with just the bar, to help me with form. I only added 10 lbs to the bar and did my sets. Some other guy watched me today and told me my form was spot on. :-) Now I know enough to know that when I start adding real weight to the bar that will all change. Lol I'm actually going to take it a little slower on weight progression with this lift to be safe. I used the crossed arm grip but not sure that is best to use. The other way looks like it would be too much stress on wrists. Thoughts?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    I used the crossed arm grip but not sure that is best to use. The other way looks like it would be too much stress on wrists. Thoughts?

I mentioned some of this in my earlier post, but will add some more.

It's nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of mobility work for the wrists and shoulders, and that's assuming you can't do it already. Remember the bar sits on your shoulders, and you can actually open your hand a lot, you don't need to grip it in your hands, which would put a lot of pressure in your wrist.
    If you really can't hit that position, you can even use straps whilst you work on mobility.
  • tracieangeletti
    If I can do it I think I would much prefer to do them the way you suggested. I imagine as the weight gets heavier it is easier to do it that way.
  • tracieangeletti
    I wanted to thank you all for replying!! :-)