Real life comments about weight loss

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
So I went to a local tavern tonight that I don't frequent any more. I used to be a regular and considered the people my "friends". As soon as I walked in the door I was informed that they had been talking disparagingly about me. I sort of ignored that remark and thought the person who told me that was drunk idiot. Not really. They all seem to be angry at me for getting healthy and mock me for me being too skinny. All are men and all are fat. I flexed my arms told them I am very healthy and not a fat drunk. Yay! That made them shut up. They can keep talking and making excuses for their bad health. Meanwhile, I am awesome!

Replies

• MakingApril
    Options
    Way too go! Hey, if they don't like that you've gotten healthy... well pfft! that's their issue!
    Good for you! :happy: :drinker:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I have read threads about this topic, but I thought it was sort of made up or I had better friends or something because it had never happened to me. Tonight was an eye opener! Some people are not nearly as kind as we hope. I am disappointed in them but not deterred from my goal.
  • MakingApril
    Options
    As long as they don't stop you from doing your best
    Yeaa..some people aren't as nice as we hope,sad but true... sometimes their just jealous!
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    they are jelous to death....seriously....green with envy.....loosing weight is hard and the majority of poeple fail...they fail cause they try the gimmiky stuff first...so once that happens it becomes ingrained that it is impossible ...so anyone that achieves it is unusual and that causes comments...here we call it being slagged off...but well done you ...you made your past accquaintences green...you rock girl
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with anypandy1109, it is just the ultimate case of the green eyed monster. They are just jealous of what you have achieved because they probably don't have the willpower to do it themselves and can't handle seeing someone who has successfully done what they want to do.

You have done fantastic, and you look great so don't let anyone tell you otherwise

x
  • cindyfleetwood
    cindyfleetwood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    good for you
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I want to say to such people... "I'm doing this to make me feel good, not to make you feel bad!"
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    So I went to a local tavern tonight that I don't frequent any more. I used to be a regular and considered the people my "friends". As soon as I walked in the door I was informed that they had been talking disparagingly about me. I sort of ignored that remark and thought the person who told me that was drunk idiot. Not really. They all seem to be angry at me for getting healthy and mock me for me being too skinny. All are men and all are fat. I flexed my arms told them I am very healthy and not a fat drunk. Yay! That made them shut up. They can keep talking and making excuses for their bad health. Meanwhile, I am awesome!
    you ARE awesome!

and please tell me that these "men" are in middle school? no? :sad:
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    By disparaging you, theyre tyring to stop themselves from feeling uncomfortable and awkward, immature people laugh at those things which test them, your weight loss has made them feel uncomfortbale about their own weight and unfitness. Just ignore them and if you ever go back to that bar again, go in with supportive friends and ignore THEM
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    jealousy is a curse...well done you????????
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope I don't offend anyone by bringing the Bible into it, but the Bible does teach that when we try to walk a path that is better for us, whether spiritually, physically, or mentally, we will find people in our circles who will disparage our efforts to be better people. I'm not sure why some people are threatened by another person losing weight, working out, trying to be healthier, or whatever. Regardless of what they say, stay strong and keep taking care of yourself because you want to be the best YOU can be. They are insecure and jealous. Good luck on your journey!!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome that you flexed at them! Love it! When I first started losing, my mom told me I look sick and shouldn't lose any more. I wasn't even close to my goal yet, so I laughed her off. People don't handle change well, period. Like other said, it points out their own flaws and the ruts they are stuck in. You break out of those ruts, and it shows them what they could do for themselves if they just made some changes.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    People can get so weird when their friends and family lose weight. When her daughter-in-law cleaned up her diet and started running, my aunt went on and on to anyone who would listen about how sickly she looked (she didn't) and how her eating was probably disordered (doubtful).

When I shed some weight myself a few years ago, a friend of mine turned into a total feeder. Never before had she brought me food, but suddenly nearly every day she was showing up with some sugar-bomb, telling me I was getting too thin. For reference, "getting too thin" was what happened when I went from a 25 BMI to a 23. Not exactly dangerously underweight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!