I hear about it all the time...Crossfit.

Options
So I'm 22. About 5'8", 230 pounds. I have never taken working out very seriously until recently when I decided that I wanted to be a firefighter. OBVIOUSLY, my laziness had to end there. In 2015 I will be taking the firefighter combat challenge, and I want to be so in shape that the combat test will be a piece of cake.

We have a "box" in our city of Crossfit-ers.....nice people, gorgeous bodies....and I am intimidated out of my wits. For months I debated on whether or not to join (time wasted, no doubt) and in the end decided on a measley gym membership. (I've actually been, oh, maybe three times.) But I am STILL wondering about Crossfit. They are happy to have me there to try out a free class, but I get horrible visions of me about to pass out surrounded by beautiful people.....

So, who does Crossfit? Pros? Cons? (God forbid I step out of my comfort zone, even though I would like to! In the end, I LOVE a job well done.)

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

I started doing CF on July 1st. I was very very out of shape, and knew it was going to be a struggle. And I LOVE IT. It's FUN. And I've never loved an exercise before, despite trying several different kinds.

Those people with amazing bodies, about 99% of them are going to be the nicest, most welcoming, most encouraging people you'll ever meet. Any time someone asks me about CF (and since I love it so much I can't shut up about it, that's pretty often...), I tell them the very best thing they can do is to just try it. Every box out there will give you a free trial class.

There's also a group of Crossfitters here on MFP, we're called CrossFit Love. Good luck to you!

ETA: Crossfit was originally created as training for soldiers and first responders. So I can only imagine it would help you in your goals of being a firefighter!
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options
    Absolutely give it a shot! At my box there are people of every shape and size. Every crossfitter has to start their journey somewhere. I've been doing it for almost three months now and I wish I had jumped in sooner. My experience is that no one there judges anyone else, in fact, I look at the folks doing CF who are at the beginning of their fitness/weightless journey with admiration!
  • moomoo84
    Options
    Go for it!

We have a guy at our box who is morbidly obese and he is doing great. All the workouts are scalable to ability and injuries etc. I've been doing it for 6 months now and my strength from only going 3 times a week has really built up. Yes there are "beautiful people" but I have never met a group of more encouraging athletes. I've been last to finish a WOD and have had the whole class cheering me on and helping me count out those last reps. Sweaty high fives all around!

My husband does it and so do our two young sons aged 4 and 6 so we are setting great examples for our boys and they are growing up surrounded by fit healthy people and seeing exercise as a positive thing! Even our 2 year old tries to get in on the action
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Going to say the same as everyone else- do it! Everything will be scaled to your ability so don't worry about that.

Everyone cheers you on and it's a great atmosphere. Oh and there is the biggest mix of people at my box- old & young. No one cares, we're all mates. I started twice a week, upped to three and now I go 4-5 times. I'm addicted :)
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    If anything I feel better at the Crossfit box than at a gym, because I'm actually doing what is needed to get to my goal and being pushed by the nature of it.

We have a mix of people at ours, some overweight, some tiny, some muscley some "average".

Go give a free session a go if its available, they will scale it for you so that you won't pass out - you'll ache,you'll feel sick, you'll curse and think why am I here... then the next day you'll get up and do it all over again :D
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I joined Crossfit in March and it's been great so far. I think that the group classes is what I need/needed to stay motivated, as just going the the gym never quite did it for me. Those people with the great bodies will be super friendly, don't worry! :) Add to that the people cheering you on, and pushing you to finish, and it's a great work out. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. :)