Kid Friendly food ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Another way to go about it is by asking what the kids won't eat. Or ask what their favourite foods are. I know some kids can be super picky, but others really will eat anything. My nephew will eat pretty much anything you put in front of him (he's almost 2), but I remember when my cousin was little and would only eat plain pasta and ketchup. If the mother is telling you that they will eat anything, then maybe they will?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Kids aren't aliens with alien food needs, they just have smaller mouths and a need to dip things in ketchup. Give them whatever you give the parents, but with ketchup.

Goes for adults too. When I was in the college cafeteria I referred to ketchup as "food lubricant." Helped things go down.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves sweet potato fries and grilled chicken nuggets. I think she would eat it every day if I let her. I'm also gluten free, so I totally understand that, but you can also make fruit kabobs with grapes, melon chunks and strawberries or pineapple. It's fun and sweet and you can do lots of them or let the kids help you with it. Have fun with your friends and the kids. : )
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    As a mom myself, if she told you anything

She meant it

Have some choices and she can go from there

Agreed. If she had a picky eater she would have gladly told you the list of foods her kid would eat.

My kids eat anything so I don't cook anything different, I just cut it in smaller pieces for the 1 year old.

But most kids love chicken nuggets or fish sticks with french fries or tater tots or mac n cheese. And yes, they love to dip: ketchup, BBQ sauce, ranch.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would say tator tot hot dish but there is gluton in that. so..everything else I can think of has gluton and dairy in it. I know you wanna make something "awesome" but maybe ask the kids directly what they would like to eat lol i know sometimes that is easier.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My kids will eat pretty much anything I eat. She may not cook different meals for them but feeds them the same thing she eats, only with less sauce.

I say get what you want and just put the sauce to the side for the kids. My 3 year old wants to dip everything in Cholula hot sauce. Seriously, just get regular food and have the mom help you cook it up and plate it.

Mine would be unhappy with hot dogs and nuggets. Pizza, however, they will eat. With bacon and black olives.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    As some have mentioned, it is hard to tell others what kids eat because the favorites change quickly. Especially with little kids. When I visit places with my toddler the best I can tell people is she'll eat about anything because in the roulette of toddler appetites that holds true. I don't want to have someone specially buy chicken nuggets when I know she's just as likely to eat chopped up lemon pepper chicken. In her world it's all chicken.

Basically, buy stuff you won't mind eating if the kids refuse it. Then you won't feel resentful if you have a bunch of leftovers, and if the mom was wrong about her kids eating "anything" then she can make the last minute runs to the grocery store and it will all work out in the end.

The advice on ketchup is great. Toddlers love to dip their food in stuff. Ketchup dipped apple sticks **shudder** are a favorite here.

The advice to have a taco night is also great. Kids are more likely to have food they help make or assemble.

A main meal with an easy side would be good too (just because it doubles your chances of part of dinner being acceptable), but I don't know what convenience foods meet your dietary needs.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else, they probably are easy. Most parents will tell you what their kid likes.. My kid will literally eat ANYTHING- I'm a picky eater- but she has an amazing palate. I wouldn't sweat it too much- but if you are still worried about it.. just make it fun. Kids like anything fun. For instance, my nephew would NEVER eat dinner for my sister.. he always said everything was gross.. and one day I pretended like I needed a super boy to go fight monsters with me (but only SUPER boys ate ALL of their dinner).. he hasn't had a problem eating since. Obviously you can't make dinner a game- but you could make it a fun project- by letting them help you.. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Kids aren't aliens with alien food needs, they just have smaller mouths and a need to dip things in ketchup. Give them whatever you give the parents, but with ketchup.
    QFT
  • Heath_Bar
    Options
    One thing I've learned about my kids (5 & 6) is that when we eat at someone's house, even if they make the exact same meal we have at home, they are "too busy" to eat much at one time. They really would rather have an afternoon snack, small dinner, and then popcorn later. I would keep lots of different snacky stuff around, all the fruits & veggies mentioned to dip (ranch, PB), cheese slices with ritz crackers, pickles, olives, ants on a log, trail mix. They also love smoothies.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Folks, there seems to be some misunderstanding here. I am aware that I don't need "special" kid foods. I have no intention of making separate meals for the kids. I will be feeding the kids and adults the same options. I am looking for dinner ideas that are family friendly and easy to make for a large group of people. I am used to cooking for only two people and I know very well what each of us likes. Therefore, I am coming up short on ideas on what to make, given that I am not used to feeding anybody besides myself and occasionally my husband - I'm definitely not used to having to cook in large quantities. I was hoping for tried and tested suggestions from people used to feeding a family, otherwise I'll just end up making boring, generic stuff like hamburgers for a lack of any better ideas.

Thanks very much to those of you who have offered suggestions. I think I have a good idea now of what to do.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    If that's the case, then why don't you just make more of what you would normally make?? Your original post certainly sounded like you were looking for "special kid food."
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If that's the case, then why don't you just make more of what you would normally make?? Your original post certainly sounded like you were looking for "special kid food."

There is no "what I would normally make." I make new recipes every single week and rarely make the same thing twice (at least not the same way), other than a few basics. Every week, I sit and sift through recipes online and in cookbooks for ideas for what to make. I am doing the same for this visit, and thought that since I had different criteria than usual, I would reach out to people who might be more used to cooking for a more varied group, particularly one that includes kids, who may be less likely to just try something if it seems strange to them. Given that I have no experience cooking for a family group or catering to the tastes of others, it seemed reasonable to ask advice and suggestions from people who have this kind of experience.
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Options
    My boys love make your own tacos, make your own taco salads, turkey burgers, pasta, pork chops, chicken ribs, sausage - especially chicken apple sausage or Sweet Italian sausage, eggs, potatoes, and raw veggies and fruit. Neither like casseroles, cooked veggies (except corn, green beans, and potatoes). Breakfast for dinner is a treat they love too. Grilled cheese with soup is a hit too.
  • lynn1982
    Options

There is no "what I would normally make." I make new recipes every single week and rarely make the same thing twice (at least not the same way), other than a few basics. Every week, I sit and sift through recipes online and in cookbooks for ideas for what to make. I am doing the same for this visit, and thought that since I had different criteria than usual, I would reach out to people who might be more used to cooking for a more varied group, particularly one that includes kids, who may be less likely to just try something if it seems strange to them. Given that I have no experience cooking for a family group or catering to the tastes of others, it seemed reasonable to ask advice and suggestions from people who have this kind of experience.

Your question is reasonable, but the original wording was misleading so don't get annoyed with posters who tell you that you don't need to make special kiddie food.

I wish I had time to sift through recipes every week and never make the same thing twice. Must be nice.

Edited to add: I know many posters suggested putting all sauces on the side for the kids. Also be sure, if you're cooking with spices, to make it less spicy for kids. Their taste buds are usually more sensitive and can't handle the spice. (For example, even steak spice on bbq'd steak or chicken is too spicy for my nephew, but to me it doesn't taste spicy at all.)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Folks, there seems to be some misunderstanding here. I am aware that I don't need "special" kid foods. I have no intention of making separate meals for the kids. I will be feeding the kids and adults the same options. I am looking for dinner ideas that are family friendly and easy to make for a large group of people. I am used to cooking for only two people and I know very well what each of us likes. Therefore, I am coming up short on ideas on what to make, given that I am not used to feeding anybody besides myself and occasionally my husband - I'm definitely not used to having to cook in large quantities. I was hoping for tried and tested suggestions from people used to feeding a family, otherwise I'll just end up making boring, generic stuff like hamburgers for a lack of any better ideas.

Thanks very much to those of you who have offered suggestions. I think I have a good idea now of what to do.

I think you were smart to ask because kids are picky and won't necessarily eat everything we eat. So I understand why you would ask and hope you got enough good ideas :}
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My grandson { he's 7} loves chicken drumsticks.{he calls them chicken on a bone}. either done on the BBQ or in oven. I also make sweet potato fries to go with them and he loves those too.. He likes quesadillas too.. I make them with chicken or beef and sautéed peppers and onions and of course lots of cheese... When I have my grandkids I always get them to make their own pizzas.. they eat better if they have helped make the food.. Most kids love chicken parmesan and you can't go wrong with spaghetti and mealballs. When we BBQ burgers I usually make the little sliders for the kids.. they just seem to eat the little ones better for some reason and they are always happy to see corn on the cob..
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I am sure the kids will love whatever you make .