Which protein supplement is best for me?

Options
Hi! I am new to the myfitnesspal community and I have just started my first week of dieting. When I have dieted before I usually used the pro7ein from nutra-shop, but now I want to try something different. My ultimate goal is to lose weight and gain muscle by dieting hard and working out 4-5 times a week. What would you guys recommend be the best protein supplement for me?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits within your macros and tastes good. There is no magic supplement, so by in large, your taste/preference should dictate what you get.

Look at the labels, get one that meets yoru goals, then try a few until you find something you like. Sample sizes are great at this point.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Steak.
    Beans

Just food
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    As mentioned natural food is best. but drinks are convenient. I'm assuming you want more protein per calorie instead of some of the higher calorie recovery/meal replacement type drinks. Optimum Nutrition Gold standard Whey is very popular and tastes pretty good. They also have a natural version that has minimal ingredients. BSN products tastes good, but their sytha six is a little higher in calories than I like.

I use Nitrean Vanilla , which is sold direct by a company called at large nutrition. They make it with a blend of whey, casein and egg protein. Vanilla tastes OK, but the chocolate has a hint of egg in it.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements are not necessary. If you have no problems with eating meat or fish, you will be able to get plenty through these sources alone. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, then a whey or soy protein shake can be helpful. Also, eggs, dairy, nut and legumes are pretty good sources as well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To those who have suggested real food...

While I agree with you, the OP asked a pretty specific question. He isn't asking about how to get more protein, he's asking specifically about supplementing protein. If you want to suggest real food, then that's fine... but at least do it after you answer his question.
  • rruss14
    rruss14 Posts: 3
    Options
    Jackson is correct, I do agree with everyone that eating "real" food is the best protein and maybe I should've phrased my question differently. I'm looking for a protein powder, bars, etc. that work for muscle gain and weight loss together?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I love my optimum nutrition 100% whey Gold standard but honestly it is a bit pricey unless you can find a good deal online.

Btw, even if you are working out 4-5 times a week, you are not going to really gain a substantial amount of muscle if you are doing the extreme diet like you stated.
  • rruss14
    rruss14 Posts: 3
    Options
    What would your suggestion be on the diet?