Apps that record mileage for your runs..

Options
Does anyone know of an app for an android phone that maps out the routes and miles you run, while you run? I’m doing the couch to 10k and am about at the stage where I need to start mapping out routes, rather than just blundering through woodland.

I’m in the UK, if that’s relevant (I don’t really know how apps work)

Or would an HRM do the same thing?

Help!

Replies

• dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun to record mileage, routes, and speed. It will also give you calories burned, but I think that number is overstated. I like that it ties to a website that allows you to do reports and check your splits for each run. Pretty sure there are walking, hiking, and biking versions of it as well.

I'm in the US, so not sure if you have it available to you.

ETA: it uses GPS to map out your route and track your mileage so it can be slightly off. However, I typically do a run that I know is exactly 3 miles and my app comes in within a couple hundredths of a mile.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I also use mapmyrun. I have used both the paid and free app both are good (a few more features but don't really use them).

Any GPS will have a degree of error but you'll find a dedicated GPS like Garmin a little more accurate but I haven had an issue with mapmyrun. HRMs will not track your run unless it has GPS included. Most models of Garmins come with HRM.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun (whether I run or not, I just like the mileage tracker). I've also heard of RunKeeper but haven't tried it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and it works fine. I used MapMyrun for a while and it worked pretty well most of the time, but it lost a "real" (organized) 5k I did. I understand from others' comments that this is very rare and probably just bad luck, but I switched after that. They are very comparable; both will post info here, show your route with splits and a graph so you can see pace all along the route, save history, etc. You can use more than one at the same time for a while and then drop the one you don't like. I also tried Strava but did not like it as well.

One feature I really like with Endomondo (and I think MapMyRun has, but not sure) is the count down. I put my phone in a holster to protect from sweat, accidental touches, etc. So I press the countdown button and it starts at 10 seconds. It counts the last 5 out loud and by then I have it in the holster and I know it is in there and operating before I run. I also use the feature to have it announce the splits out loud so I know if I am going too fast or slow at each mile. I have recorded about 250 miles with it over the summer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Yup, mapmyrun had a countdown feature too.
  • 55in13
    Options
    Just to clarify about the trouble I had with MapMyRun - it did show me the info on the run on my phone when I finished the race. It failed to upload and I was in an area with spotty reception. When this happened to me with EndoMondo, it kept the data and uploaded it later. Others have told me that MapMyRun will usually do that also. What I did not like about Strava is that it was inaccurate during the run and only corrected when posting.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and the cardio trainer
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What do you all mean by splits?
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Nike+ App. Great for tracking runs. Keeps a total of all runs and total miles.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

You can choose to record your pace/time at certain intervals. Most people do mile or km splits so you know what your pace was for each. I also like the voice feedback at each mile telling me my average pace, etc. I think that's only a feature on the paid mapmyrun app.

I also lost a run once with mapmyrun but now just wait until I am in good service to hit the save.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've just started using RunKeeper. I'm still figuring it out but so far I like it.
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    I've just started using RunKeeper. I'm still figuring it out but so far I like it.

I LOVE RunKeeper. Its awesome! You can set it to tell you how far you've gone based on time or mileage and when you're done it shows a map of where you've been. You can sign up for different training plans too. Right now I'm doing the half marathon plan. Almost all the training plans are free too.

Another great point - RunKeeper updates to MFP for you with the time you ran and how many calories. Its so nice!
  • 55in13
    Options

You can choose to record your pace/time at certain intervals. Most people do mile or km splits so you know what your pace was for each. I also like the voice feedback at each mile telling me my average pace, etc. I think that's only a feature on the paid mapmyrun app.

I also lost a run once with mapmyrun but now just wait until I am in good service to hit the save.
    That voice feedback is a feature on the free version of Endomondo. It will interrupt music if you used earbuds and listen to tunes while running. I don't; I just leave the speaker turned up and listen for it to tell me my pace at each mile. When I am running more than 5 miles, it is really important not to run too fast in the beginning.
  • Bouneschlupp
    Bouneschlupp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been using runtastic over a month now and I'm quite satisfied with it. It maps my run, tracks elevation and speed and has a voice that informs me after every km.
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic too. There are free and paid versions, I just use the free one, not had any problems. There are quite a few different ones now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

A Garmin Forerunner (they have a variety of models) will give you a combination of HRM & GPS. Depending on which model you chose it may come with their Training Center software or access to Garmin Connect (the on-line equivalent) (Timex & Suunto also have similar offerings and there may well be others but Garmin seems to dominate the market)

I pop my ANT receiver in my laptop before heading out for a run and by the time I'm done stretching my data has already been uploaded from the watch.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to use Endomondo, which was super great at what it does, but stopped using it once I got my Up.
    Someone says that they're pretty sure Endomondo overstates burned calories. I agree, but all those maps do so too.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, which gives very good and accurate distances where I live (in the middle of nowhere) but I have heard it can be a bit flakey if you live in a city. Don't know why.

I've also tried Strava, which I like, but it doesn't link with MFP, which Runkeeper does.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options

A Garmin Forerunner (they have a variety of models) will give you a combination of HRM & GPS. Depending on which model you chose it may come with their Training Center software or access to Garmin Connect (the on-line equivalent) (Timex & Suunto also have similar offerings and there may well be others but Garmin seems to dominate the market)

I pop my ANT receiver in my laptop before heading out for a run and by the time I'm done stretching my data has already been uploaded from the watch.
    I LOVE my Garmin watch!! I had it in the box for a year and a half thinking it was this difficult thing. I just turn it on and it gives me heartrate (if I want it but run by feel) ... pace ..distance and time. Then I plug it into the computer and push one button and it downloaded all that plus grade of the road and elevation all on an easy to read graph! Im using it for grade and elevation for my next marathon next month. I found elevation on the website and am matching it on my training runs.
  • 55in13
    Options
    I used to use Endomondo, which was super great at what it does, but stopped using it once I got my Up.
    Someone says that they're pretty sure Endomondo overstates burned calories. I agree, but all those maps do so too.
    I think they all overstate calories. Endomondo is giving me about 158 calories per 10:30 mile and I weigh 170. I think that is high by maybe 25% or so, comparing it to calculator at Runner's World:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
    a recent run that Endomondo said was 1338 came up as only 1079 at Runner's World.

ETA - One thing it may be taking into account is elevation. I often have a variation of 150-200 feet in absolute altitude between the highest and lowest point on the run with lots of rises and drops along the way.