Breaking Point

Options
I'm curious if any of you fab people out there had a sort of breaking point? A moment where it just clicked for you and you knew that you had to turn life around and quite the eating that you were and become healthier.

For me it was 2 weeks ago...I was in my room and trying to find clothes to put on for the day that would fit me and after trying on at least 4 pairs of pants with none of them even close to fitting me, or if they did fit my rolls of belly would be pooring over the sides because they were so darn tight, I realized (God I'm so embarrased to admit this :embarassed:) that the only pair that I could actually wear that wouldn't require a steam roller to get on was an old pair of..........MATERNITY khakis. :frown: Yes you read right, Maternity.

My son is 2. I haven't been pregnant for over 2 year and the only pants that would fit were Maternity ones. It was a sad sad day for me. I realized at that moment that I had to change my life. I couldn't have any more excuses, I need to make this change for me, for my kids and husband and for a healthy life with them.

No more excuses, no more reason why I can't. I can!! I WILL!!

Replies

• LuckySue333
    Options
    Yes I have realized it quite a few times... I have lost and gained it back plus... Sad to say. I am tyring again and each time I try it gets harder and harder. If I can lose 25 lbs I am going to try to maintain it there and hopefully want have to lose again just hold the weight where I want it...
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My breaking point came when I realized that the fat was hindering my T-Rex sized arms from reaching behind my back and hooking my bra... Not a pretty sight.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It hit me a couple weeks ago when my husband and I were at the shop getting our ring fingers tattooed. The whole place is surrounded with mirrors and when I looked at him and the commitment he was making to me and then looked at myself in the mirror, I remembered a comical side note I said with my vows to him. I always laughed and promised that he would never have to worry about me gaining weight and letting go of my looks...never even dreaming of the possibility that I would. Well, here we are almost 50 pounds later. That was my breaking point. I want to look and feel good for more than just me, I want to do it for my husband.

I'm more than excited to get back to being healthy again! (And to wear something other than leggings...ugh.)
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    I have been overweight my whole life. I never really eat terribly bad things for me; I just have always loved food and I eat it. I've never been able to reach around and put my bra on. It’s always been a struggle for me to take it off, although I can do that. What I do is I snap it in the front inside out and then turn it around and pull it right side up. Anyway, other than large amounts of ice cream and brownie mix, I eat healthy. The problem is I always eat too much; food is good, therefore I keep eating it. Portion control is my biggest problem.

Well my breaking point happened, after I’d lost a lot of weight. I went to Peru for a month which was a year and a half ago now, in that month I lost 40 lbs and became very anemic. When I went to the doctor she told me it was great I had lost all the weight but I still had more to go and that I needed to get my health back up because how I lost the weight wasn’t good for me. One day I was looking at my pictures of before I went to Peru and I was amazed at how large my stomach was. I knew I was overweight but this went beyond what I remember seeing in the mirror. Once I was back in the United States, I began eating more and being more health conscious. I only gained back 15 lbs of the 40 I’d lost and was able to keep it off for an entire year. I wasn’t losing weight but I felt the best I had in a long time.

Unfortunately, that isn’t the end of the story. As a college student I still live summers with my parents and I went home. When I returned home I began eating like I do at home and started to pack on the pounds. Then I started living with my ex-boyfriend/boyfriend-again and packed it on even faster. I not only gained back all the weight I’d lost in Peru and kept off in the past year but gained an extra 10 pounds!!! The week before I moved back to school, my boyfriend and I broke up and I went back to living at home. There I lost about 5 pounds in a week. I know that the first 10 pounds are really easy to lose for me so I didn’t think twice about it. But this time I began to look in the mirror and actually see what I saw in the pictures from before, I was huge. That is when I picked myfitnesspal back up and told myself this has to be a life decision, not just one for now so I can maintain my weight but so I can lose it all and keep it off. I still look in the mirror and what I see it hard to bear but everyday I lose another pound or work out I see the difference. I fear that my weight loss will be slow because I will be gaining back muscle that I had previously lost and put on as fat.

I wish things could be different but that is definitely my breaking point. This time, its just me, my dorm room and what I put within my reach. Its sad to think for me that when I go home again, it will begin to undermine all the work I do at school this year but I am hopeful to think that I will learn a few things that will help me make this continue to work even with all the temptation at home.
  • rayallen3
    rayallen3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Try shakeology chocolate shakes. go to www.theperfectshakes.com and read and view the shakeology info. I started these shakes into my diet a week ago and lost 2.5lbs in a week. The idea behind them is that the shake has the alot of veggies, fiber, protein, probiotics and natural ingredients that will satisfy the body nutritionally to stop the food cravings. The probiotics will help your digestion and regularity. Basically the shakes give your body what it needs and wants so it needs for nothing else. you can also do a 3 day cleanse on these shake too. 3 shakes a day with fruit as a snack and a nice salad for dinner. I didn't do that but I plan on it real soon. a friend of mine loss 5lbs in a week and the weight didn't come back (this included excercise too!) Hope this helps! It has helped me and many others. Get the chocolate, it taste way too good to be this great for you. Don't let the price throw you for too big of a loop. It works out to $4 a shake. That's really not that bad for a meal replacement. 140 calories 14g of protein.
  • Shieva
    Shieva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was last year,I had my baby in feb 2009 gained sooo much weight after that not even realizing it until May 2009 my sister took a photo of me and I was like NO WAYYYY.. I thought I was still that small girl i started out being before pregnancy.. thats when I STOPPED an ever sense then ive lost over 50 pounds .. I still have my days sometimes I have to catch myself.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My breaking point had been building up for a while. When I was in college, I never felt like I had the time to workout (or motivation either) so I just dealt with being quite overweight and somewhat unhappy. Once I got a full time job offer and I'd be living completely on my own in my own apartment, I told myself I'd focus on working out but I wasn't totally serious.

Finally things snapped into place when I went to buy pants to wear to work, just Dockers and some dress pants. I kept trying on work pants and NOTHING from JCPenney or Macy's looking good, everything was too tight. These were size 16 pants. I've always been able to fit into size 16 fine, and I had even already lost 15 pounds at that point just from having such a hectic semester and living at the bottom of a giant hill at college that semester. My mom hauled me into Lane Bryant (sorry to the people that shop there, but I've always fit in pants sold in the regular stores). The idea of having to shop at Lane Bryant made me furious and I basically had a meltdown/hissy fit. Then I decided I refuse to set foot in that store ever again. So as soon as I was settled in Virginia and started work, I started working out and stopped eating crap. I ended up buying some size 16 Dockers that fit. Now I'm wearing size 10 petite Dockers :)