Spicy Black Bean Burgers... I'm obsessed!

Options
My boyfriend and I decided to stop eating meat about a month ago.
I stopped altogether, except for egg whites, and he still eats white meat.

I found Morning Star spicy black bean burgers, and I cannot stop eating them!
They're so good on Thinwiches wheat buns, with some salsa, a sprinkle of cheese, some cayenne pepper and mustard!

Om nom nom. (: so good.

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i am going to try tham i love beans
  • octopusbeard
    octopusbeard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They're delicious! They have whole chunks of corn in them too.
  • snshn704
    Options
    I'll have to try them that way. I've been eating gardenburger's blackbean and chile burgers. Also yummy!
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • octopusbeard
    Options
    I highly recommend them with the Thinwiches buns. I was never a big fan of hamburger buns until I found these. I use them for my toast in the morning as well!
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 14 years. The spicy black bean burgers were my favorites. I did not like the grillers or gardenburger's black bean burger at all. I would eat Morning Star Farm's black bean burger as my "meat" at almost every dinner, sometimes dipping them in bbq sauce! I cooked meat for the kids, but would make a black bean burger as my meat.

Some people are afraid to try them. They really do not taste like beans at all. You are right, they are delicious!
  • Allipop
    Allipop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love bean burgers! I get really sick when I eat beef but I crave a burger every now and then. My favorite is a Butter Bean Burger. Smash a can of butter beans in a bowl, mix in some onion, jalepeno, 1 egg beaten, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and saltines or bread crumbs to make it come together, I bake mine and they are so delicious and help me with that burger craving. It's so easy to play around with too. Morningstar is great but I can't always afford them so I made my own way ^_^
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree! they are really good!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend them with the Thinwiches buns. I was never a big fan of hamburger buns until I found these. I use them for my toast in the morning as well!

They also have the sandwich thins called Fill 'Ems that are hot dog buns. My boyfriend likes to put a banana and peanut butter in them and have them for breakfast. He calls them breakfast hot dogs. :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've really gotten into making my own foods lately, rather than buying pre-packaged things like the MorningStar burgers. If anyone's interested, this is a recipe for making your own spicy black bean burgers - it's really not difficult at all, and the homemade burgers I've done have been much tastier than the frozen pre-made ones. There are many variations of this recipe all over the internet if you google "spicy black bean burger recipe". You could easily add drained corn and diced tomatoes or tomato paste to this recipe to make it more like the morningstar burgers.

1 15 ounce can black beans, drained (I'd buy no-salt added beans)
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 egg (or your choice of egg substitute)
    1 cup bread crumbs
    oil for frying (optional)

Preparation:
    Mash the beans in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined.
    Press firmly to form into patties and lightly fry in oil. Or, fire up the grill and barbecue your black bean veggie burgers over a medium heat.
  • octopusbeard
    Options
    I think I'll try both of these recipes!

I also cook the burgers and chop them up to stick in my eggs. It's pretty good:)