Gained 4lbs in one day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You need to relax. It's most likely water weight. You didn't gain 4lbs of fat.
    From your picture you shouldn't be worrying about a pound or 2. Stop freaking out.

this lol
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale! You should not be weighing twice a day. That's a tad obsessive. Your weight will naturally fluctuate day to day and can also be influenced by where you are in your hormonal cycle. Have one day a week as your "valid" weigh in day and preferably not the day after your lift day, if you lift weights. Which I highly encourage :)
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    LOL! It's just sodium has blown you up. Once it's processed and sweated out, you're golden. One pound of fat is 3500 calories. So, unless you ate 14,000 calories for breakfast.....calm it on back down ;)
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself ten times a day. Weight naturally fluctuates during the day and its not representative of actual losses or gains. Do it once a week, under the same conditions each time. You'll drive yourself crazy weighing multiple times a day!
  • Beachlopez
    Beachlopez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pffffff. I had a weekend recently where I gained 10. It was an awesome weekend.....

Weekends are the bane of my existence.

LOL...your post made me smile:)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Errr...unless you did a huge dump after you ate, what do you expect?? 4lbs is approx 2000g. So say you drink a gallon of water a day, then add 3 meals and snacks, you've consumed approx 7lbs of food and water - I fail to see why anyone would think they should weigh the same at the end of the day than at the beginning.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i actually only weigh myself about 2x/ month, maybe only once a month!

usually about 5 days after the last day of my cycle.

on days when i eat out and can't cook for myself i end up "gaining weight" because I retain fluids.

but overall, i've found i'm much happier by limiting my time on the scale and increasing my fitness goals. as long as i keep meeting my food and fitness goals the numbers balance out and I get a great idea of my weight by only weighing every so often.

I do, however, keep track of inches and take photos so that i can see a difference. I do that as a direct result of great advice here on the boards. it has helped tremendously.

I'm only trying to shed 4-6 more lbs, and it's incredibly difficult to get these last pounds off, so in order to not go nuts I have had to ditch my concern for weight and focus more on fitness.
  • hpilon27
    hpilon27 Posts: 43
    Options
    Noticed that this has not been mentioned yet, but if it is sodium, you need to balance this with potassium. Eat a banana :-)

BTW I am maintaining at 117 lbs most mornings and as much as 120 lbs many nights.
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    The whole Sodium / Water thing makes me laugh. Basic biological process in the body like digestion and elimination of waste comes to mind. If there's a lot of food to digest, it'll take time to break down and get flushed out (sometimes 2-3 days) Doesn't mean one has gained fat or retained fluids. Depending on what kind of foods you've had a lot of ... give your bowls a chance to get rid of the waste ;) (we can carry around 7lbs of excess waste in our intestines alone). hence it's important with any kind of diet or weight loss programme to make sure bowel movement is regular ;) Go for a walk and drink some water, it'll help to get things moving along.

So what you're basically saying is that it's never water retention and that in reality every just needs to move their bowels?

Nope, that's not what i'm saying. I just find it amusing that it's ALWAYS water retention or the assumption one's Sodium intake must have been through the roof.

When someone says they've had A LOT of food the day before then i consider the time it takes to digest the lot.
    And to a point, yes ... good bowel movement is important, just that most people tend not to talk about it, and I'm all in favour of getting them moving properly ;)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When someone says they've had A LOT of food the day before then i consider the time it takes to digest the lot.
    And to a point, yes ... good bowel movement is important, just that most people tend not to talk about it, and I'm all in favour of getting them moving properly ;)

This made me smile ...
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me a person normal weight will fluctuate from 4-6 pounds through out a day. So you should always weight first thing in the morning to get an accurate weigh in.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me a person normal weight will fluctuate from 4-6 pounds through out a day. So you should always weight first thing in the morning to get an accurate weigh in.

After your first bowel movement.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I weighed 119.7, and then I ate a lot and thismorning I weighed myself and I weighed 121 and then this evening I weighed myself again and now I weigh 123.4?! I am so upset! I know it's probably because I have been eating a lot of food, but is it going to go back down to 119? And how long will that take? What do I do? :cry:

thankyou!

WOW, just WOW! 119 lbs and you are gaining 4lbs of water weight between morning and evening? How tall are you and what is your calorie goal?
  • losinggweightt
    Options
    i actually only weigh myself about 2x/ month, maybe only once a month!

usually about 5 days after the last day of my cycle.

on days when i eat out and can't cook for myself i end up "gaining weight" because I retain fluids.

but overall, i've found i'm much happier by limiting my time on the scale and increasing my fitness goals. as long as i keep meeting my food and fitness goals the numbers balance out and I get a great idea of my weight by only weighing every so often.

I do, however, keep track of inches and take photos so that i can see a difference. I do that as a direct result of great advice here on the boards. it has helped tremendously.

I'm only trying to shed 4-6 more lbs, and it's incredibly difficult to get these last pounds off, so in order to not go nuts I have had to ditch my concern for weight and focus more on fitness.

wow thanks for this. That is a good idea, focusing on fitness rather than weight. I think I will start to do that! Goodluck and thankyou!
  • losinggweightt
    Options

Thankyou!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is normal, depending on body size, one can fluctuate several pounds a day. Pick a good consistent time to weigh yourself occasionally and you'll see a much more accurate portrayal of your real day-to-day weight.