log a piece of gum?

Options
2»

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I really hope that you were joking when you asked this question!
    I guess sometimes common sense goes a long way.
    I don't know anyone where 5 calories is going to make or break your food goals for the day.
    No, don't log a piece of gum. (wait - I log one Rollo....)
    :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Should I log my 5 calorie or less piece or orbit cinnimint gum?
    I don't...but doesn't mean you shouldn't. We all have those lil things we don't log. I don't log seasonings and I imagine some have sodium.

I think as smuehlgbauer suggests, common sense on what you feel is best. If you're a 'log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth' type of person then by all means log the gum.

I log pretty much everything but I've seen ppl log vitamins, etc. but I don't go that far, if my vitamin C has sugar/cals or whatever in it, I'm not worried about, I also don't log in my strength training or all my workouts.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    No way. I don't even log vegetables.
    I'm just as curious why as well? Some veggies are pretty high in carbs, corn, peas, etc. High sugar veggies can really add up.

I've heard of ppl not adding in fruits or veggies, now THAT seems odd to me... gum, not so much:wink::smokin:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your not eating the whole pack in one day! I wouldn't be suprised if you burn those 5 calories that are in the gum just by chewing on it!
    Well, now if I ate the whole pkg. WITH the wrapper I'd definitely add it in for the fiber alone!:tongue:
  • tater8589
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your not eating the whole pack in one day! I wouldn't be suprised if you burn those 5 calories that are in the gum just by chewing on it!

I started to, but i feel like the 5 or less cals that it counts are burned by chewing it. (plus its WAY less than the snacks i'm wanting)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I'd be far more concerned about not logging a pkg. of cookies lol
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING... BUT I do NOT log gum... It's crazy... I chew Sugar-Free Orbitz (2 pieces/5 calories) all day every day but I guarantee I burn the calories off by just chewing all day!

Don't log it...

I agree. I don't log it either. The deficit MFP sets up for you is not so precise that 5 calories is going to cause damage to your progress unless you're chewing a huge amount.
  • ellenzab
    Options
    I spoke too broadly...I would definitely log an ear of corn or a piece of avocado or a baked potato. But I don't log the slab of tomato I put on top of my sandwich or the handful of red pepper I throw in an omelet, or even the lettuce I use to make a big salad. I guess it's the same mentality that makes these veggies "free" in Weight Watchers.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I spoke too broadly...I would definitely log an ear of corn or a piece of avocado or a baked potato. But I don't log the slab of tomato I put on top of my sandwich or the handful of red pepper I throw in an omelet, or even the lettuce I use to make a big salad. I guess it's the same mentality that makes these veggies "free" in Weight Watchers.

It depends what day of the week it is if I log in a piece of lettuce on a sandwich or not........but then that's just me:drinker:

yes I was wondering if it was WW related seems many members or former members come here and sounds so shocked that it's suggested they track ALL food, veggies included. I might not log in a piece of spinach on my sammie but I log a big salad bowl full of veggies for sure. Oh and every SINGLE pickle for sure because of all the sodium, ugh

I don't log only for the cals but to be sure I get in all the nutrients I need as well and if I didn't log in my veggies, I'd not know if I needed more carbs/fiber etc. or not for the day.

I like to stay in the logging mentality as much as I can, it's best to just stick to the habits I've learned in the last 3 years. They've worked incredibly well for me so I think I'll stick to what I've seen work for other successful folks on here and myself over the years:drinker: :smooched:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    noooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!! :bigsmile:

But then my calorie allowance is never that tight. I.e I allow 100 -300 cals per day for stuff I might 'forget' (or cant be bothered to log!! :wink:

No calorie data is THAT accurate so you should always leave a few to play with IMO :flowerforyou: