Swimming? (Had to give up aerobics and running for now)

Options
Hello!

I broke my foot a month ago and the only exercise I am allowed to do at the moment is some upper body weights and swimming. I can swim but I haven't 'trained' swimming before (I used to be a runner and loved body attack/high impact aerobics) and swimming length after length could get tedious quite quickly.

Can anyone please recommend any good swimming workouts?

Also, please feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support and are in a similar position- I've lost 4.5lbs so far, hoping to lose about another 10.

Replies

• bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea to work with a trainer to be sure your stroke is efficient and won't cause injury. I use hand paddles to increase the upper body workout and take pressure of my elbow so I can swim more often without tendinitis. I don't do a particular routine, but I watch people who do and once you've found one you like I suggest you don't do what some of them do. They swim a length or lap. Stop. Take a sip of water. Stand around to gather themselves and then go another. You need good long aerobic cycles, so more swimming, less gathering.

And good luck. I know I sleep a whole lot better on my swim days.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Try this book.... I've used it and it's really helpful to give you progressive swim programmes that help you improve technique, gain fitness and strength and having a structure programme removes the boredom...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swim-Workouts-Triathletes-Practical-Endurance/dp/1934030759/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1375968115&sr=8-9&keywords=swim+training+for+triathlon

Good luck
  • GreeneGal
    Options
    Good morning!

I have a torn ACL and am trying to lose some weight before having the repair surgery and swimming is my thing for now too. The hardest part is that it doesn't have that immediate sweaty satisfaction of doing aerobics or, for me, an elliptical machine. However, the "core" workout of it is awesome! I do laps, but I don't just "swim" them. I do intervals of running in the water, lunges, arm work, etc. Many ways you can mix it up and still do some of the more hardcore lap swimming.

You also might want to check out a water aerobics class. You may be the youngest one in there and it may the earliest you've gotten up in your life but it's a good variation too :)

Good luck!

-Sarah
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ps you can take it to the pool with you because its waterproof so don't worry about how you remember the set.

Also, I use a variety of training aids... paddles, fins, pull buoy, boards etc all very useful to help you with technique and strength in your training sessions. Most pools have some of those at the side, so worth making use of them.
  • skinnieminnie007
    skinnieminnie007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the tips! Now I'm actually looking forward to my morning swim tomorrow :) I think I may invest in the book as well - how convenient that it's waterproof!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    http://www.goswim.tv/#

kicks out solid workouts
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the tips! Now I'm actually looking forward to my morning swim tomorrow :) I think I may invest in the book as well - how convenient that it's waterproof!

And if you can, invest in some time with a trainer. For my tri I spent probably 8 hours with a trainer over a month, and it paid off in spades. It can be "expensive" initially, but the life long investment in safety and health is well worth it in my opinion.

bodiva - have you tried keeping a high elbow in the crawl?

For a workout, I do a couple that are basically, simple and designed to be something you can work off of. Here's a sample to start with.

Warmup:
    150-200 yards

Work Set 1:
    100 yards pull buoy
    50 yards kick board
    100 yards pull buoy
    50 yards kick board
    4x25 sprint with 25 yard cooldown and rest in between

Swim Set:
    200 yards

Work Set 2:
    100 yards pull buoy
    50 yards kick board
    4x25 sprint with 25 yard cooldown and rest in between
    4x50 fist drill

Cooldown
    150-200 yards
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Join a Master's program if you have one in your area. It's a coached workout and they will help you improve your stroke, plus you get to swim with other people so there's a little social time too. I couldn't survive without the South Davis Masters Crusty Crab team and my teammates, makes swimming so much more enjoyable and I always feel better after a good hard swim.