Advice needed for muscle strain

I apologize if this is not in the right place.

I've been working out much harder than typical. I went from not working out at all, to working out for an hour a day, to working out 2 hours a day. I want to really push myself because I'm tired of not fitting into my clothes, and I want to be fit. Appearances don't matter to me, but I want to inspire my own husband to get fit as well.

Well, for the past... 3 or 4 days (?), one muscle in one of my legs has been majorly hindering my progress. I don't know enough about muscles to know what the problem is, but I do have a possible inkling. Before you read any further though, I do want to confirm that the discomfort is NOT a typical "Oh I worked this muscle enough to feel the burn!" kind of pain. I've had sore muscles, and this is different. While it's not IMPOSSIBLE to keep running on the treadmill, it becomes increasingly discomforting and painful.. and I find myself taking a short break every 2 or 3 minutes to take a break and relieve the muscle.

Since I don't know much about muscles, I thought I'd give you a visual of which muscle is bothering me (only in my right leg). I'm touching it in this picture:

3Ws4X.jpg
It especially hurts if I twist my ankle to the sides.. and even more so if I roll my outer ankle towards the ground.

What do I suspect as being the problem? Well, I'm very, very slightly bowlegged, and I recently came to the alarming realization that I don't distribute my weight evenly on the bases of my feet. I put all my body weight on the outside of my feet. I've tried consciously putting weight on the inside of my feet, and I absolutely can not do it! I discovered this while looking at my work shoes one day. Shoes that originally had a flat heel on them. Within 9 months or so, the heels looked like this:

3WsbD.jpg
3WscK.jpg
(Sorry, I know the second picture is a bit blurry and dark, and the shadow under the right heel makes it impossible to see the wear and tear.)

The camera actually did the heels justice, because they look so much worse in real life. But yes, those shoes are being held straight up. See how much heel has been worn away?

So is this the cause of the muscle pain, you think? How can I stop it from happening? I'd like to continue running/ jogging/ walking for an hour each day, but I've only been able to do 30 minutes in the past two days. The pain is non-existent when I first hop on the treadmill, but it seems to creep up into my leg sooner and sooner.

What can I do in the short term? In the long term?

Replies

• Singelli
    Singelli Posts: 40 Member
    I've seen people bump their threads when they didn't get a response, so I hope it isn't against the rules!

Anyways, I'm really hoping for some advice on this.

If it helps, I found another set of movement that causes the muscle to hurt, thanks to Tapout. If I'm sitting on my knees, and I try to stand from that position, the muscle hurts worse than ever! The only way I can get it to NOT hurt as bad, is by turning my right knee out as I come up (instead of keeping it forward like the other knee).

Also, the muscle (at least judging by the area of pain) feels to be really thin and narrow. It probably spans 75% of my lower leg length.
  • Do you wear orthotics? They would likely be helpful in correcting your stance and possibly alleviate muscle strain while working out.
    I have flat feet and my ankles roll inwards - I do wear orthotics but when I started to really work out again I had a lot of pain which has left me not being able to do much since. I would suggest starting slowly and easing your muscles into it.
    Also! If you havent, get fitted for proper running shoes at a running store - many of people have told me this due to my foot problems :smile:
  • kjg1965297
    kjg1965297 Posts: 121
    Sometimes we are so impatient to lose the weight we push ourselves beyond our bodies capabilities. Take a step backwards and don't go over board. I know the feeling because I am a very impatient person. Using MFP is not a diet it is to change our lifestyle from eating unhealthy to eating healthy with proper portions. MFP makes and helps us be accountable to ourselves because everyone lies to themselves once in a while. Be consistent with you food intake and excercise and don't over do it. Allow your body to gradually to get fit. Steady does it. Your weight will come off naturally. Good luck
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,997 Member
    You may have shin splits, google it and see if it fits. I remember I really overdid it back in the high impact aerobics days and ended up laying around with ice packs on both legs, though one was worse than the other. I had to rest them for a while and stretch my calves more pre-workout as they became more common after I first had them.

If it's a sprain, usually icing 48 hours afterward followed by heat the rest of the recovery is recommended.

If it's still hurting a lot then I'd suggest laying off it until it recovers. I hope you're feeling better soon and it's a short-term pain from overdoing it and not a bad sprain or anything. Take care!
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Sounds like shin splints but I'm no dr.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Sounds like it might be TMTS - Too much, too soon. Try easing up on the daily running time, or at least divide the time up into multiple, short sessions per day. Or do another form of exercise.

What shoes do you run in (make & model)?
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    I'm guessing shin splints. Rest and ice. Go to a good running store and get fitted for proper shoes. When you do begin working out again, be sure to increase gradually.
    Hope you're feeling better soon!