Exercise Bike

Options
I'm thinking of getting a stationary bike for home. Have any of you had much success with one?

Replies

• mdkesi
    mdkesi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 10 years and love it. This is the one piece of exercise equipment that everyone in my family has used and enjoyed. More bang for your buck than walking...and you can read or watch movies while your exercise! Just be sure to get one that has a place to put your bood or tablet. Good luck!
  • mdkesi
    mdkesi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, be sure you check out the recumbent bikes - much more comfortable.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have a recumbent exercise bike and I LOVE it. It has helped me greatly with weight loss and getting my cardio kicked up. It's got magnetic resistance, so I can increase the tension just by pressing on the handles. It also tracks heartbeat, miles, etc.

Inbox me if you want the model and info about where I bought it. I know we're not supposed to promote products on the message boards!

Good luck!
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Great. There is one that I have been looking at that Walmart sells and it has pretty good reviews. I may look into that one.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mine has been collecting dust for several years but that's only because I bought an indoor trainer for my road bike so when the snow flies I can keep on riding indoors (for me it's more of a consistent fit issue and I prefer the geometry of a road bike frame)

Riding is great exercise!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Defo get a recumbent.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Great. There is one that I have been looking at that Walmart sells and it has pretty good reviews. I may look into that one.

Check for used ones too.....quite often you can get a much better quality bike for a very reasonable price. It may take a little extra work and patience but in the long run no one regrets buying quality. (Can you tell that I'm a cheapskate accountant....:laugh: )
    I've never actually tried the stationary bikes at the gym. Do these work for you Damonique? I always walk by them every day, and wonder about them so I can possibly change up my routine. I know there is something at my gym called 'spin class' that looks horrible and they look to be getting there sweat on, but for someone who just gets on it and peddles for a while is it good? I'm wonderinf your success on it, so maybe I can implement it into my own program. Right now I'm a big fan of runnin and eliptical.

If you're a runner you should definitely consider adding some form of biking to your workouts as a cross-training activity - it helps address muscular imbalances and helps with injury resistance (and it can be fun...spinning can be pretty challenging, you should check it out)
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've never actually tried the stationary bikes at the gym. Do these work for you Damonique? I always walk by them every day, and wonder about them so I can possibly change up my routine. I know there is something at my gym called 'spin class' that looks horrible and they look to be getting there sweat on, but for someone who just gets on it and peddles for a while is it good? I'm wonderinf your success on it, so maybe I can implement it into my own program. Right now I'm a big fan of runnin and eliptical.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options

I have a knee issue so my trainer told me to use a bike for my cardio because its low impact. i love it. its gives me a good workout, i watch tv whilst i do it and then before i know it ive been cycling at a good rate for 30 mins. Id say it was worth it. I burn around 225 in around 20 mins. I always do 5 miles, then weights, then more cycling or i do 5 miles then swim.
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We have a recumbent bike at home. Definitely more comfy than those itty bitty seats. We watch TV when we use ours.
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I've tried them at the gym before but not consistently. I want to get one for home to use consistently. I'm going to go ahead and get one and see how it works for me.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    From a few years back, I remember trying one out, and although I did finish the 30 minutes on it, the seat was about as comfy as sitting on a cactus.