Is a calorie just a calorie?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well you thought wrong. I agree that calorie counting can not be precise. I agree that Americans have a wrong conception about calories. (before MFP, I did too) I am not ascribing a motive, simply pointing out the contradictions.

I guess it's possible, but unlikely. You're pointing out contradictions in the article where none exist.

I'm sorry you feel that way. :ohwell:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel that way. :ohwell:

Are you aware that saying "there are contradictions in this article" doesn't actually mean that contradictions actually exist? Even if you say it twice? Or that a quote from a doctor you disagree with doesn't make a contradiction?

You seem remarkably driven to not actually support anything you say with examples or research. That's too bad -- there's a legitimately good conversation to be had here. You should try joining it sometime.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This thread is a typical example of why science isn't advancing quicker. Some individuals are driven by the need to prove others wrong and they enjoy dissecting the writings of others. They also refuse to take what is good in something, then build on top of that through brainstorming and acceptance of differing personalities. Instead they seek out the bad, harp on it endlessly and quit only once they feel like they "won". With the collective intelligence of this forum, mountains could be moved, but it never will, at least as long as people keep viewing each other as various sorts of rivals. Foldit consists of layman gamers yet they did something big together. Some scientists are too bookish and could use the experience from "the streets", whereas those who read popular science only could benefit from a laid-back dialogue with writers of research articles. Minds are small.

Oh I disagree completely, and not just to be contrary. Dissent and competition are whats drives science and humans forward. The desire to excel, find answers etc...that is what makes us high on the food chain. Only when we question what we know do we surpass our current knowledge. Hell even in non-scientific fields we are taught to question, my very wise priest told me when you question your faith, that is when you have your first religious experience. So, yes, I strongly disagree with your statement. We are all rivals for knowledge, competitors for health...and that is what makes us great! Can we also be kind and supportive, hell to the YES!

Addendum to this: Ad Hominem is never the solution.

Edit: fixed quote tag
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    IMO some of you are just too focused on the scale. Do you have to track calories to lose or maintain weight? Yes. From that perspective a calorie is a calorie.

However I think we could argue that N calories a day from poultry, fish and veggies would be "better for you" than 1500 calories a day from McDonalds.

It's arguable that eating N calories a day of fast food, even though it would be the same amount of calories as "healthy" foods would have an adverse effect on your heath in terms of the fat., sodium and other preservatives you are taking in.

Many of the same people who want to argue that a "Calorie is a Calorie" also want to bludgeon you drinking zero calorie soda. Diet soda in my mind is the perfect example for this argument. If a calorie is a calorie, and water and diet soda both have zero, then there can be no negatives to drinking nothing but diet soda.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes...
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Interesting article challenging the "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" argument:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/02/calorie-counting/

I personally agree with this article, that the quality of calories is just as important as the quantity. Discussion?

Ready.....GO!

How can you debate. A claorie is a measure of energy. The amount of energy required to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree celsius. Food calories are defined as 1000 calories.

Now are we the most accurate at determining how many calories there are in various products? Nope. That's been known for years. Not all foods are identical. There are various compositional differences in the makeup of diffferent foods based on growth conditions, time they were picked and how ripe they were for fruits and veggies, and grains. Differences in processing that doesn't ensure one cheetoh os the exact duplicate of the next, the density and size and shape of breads and other foods produced are goign to vary from slice to slice, etc. Yet we treat them all the same if we look at the nutrition labels.

There is truth I believe in differences in the chemical makeup of foods from when it is raw vs. cooked. Cooking is a chemical reaction for foods. Therefore it alters the foods state.

So, yes, despite there being any science in this article, there are differences in the nutritional composition and caloric content and availability of foods. However, there is no difference between calories. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it. At it's core, a calorie is a calorie. A calorie is a unit of measure where 1 calorie = 4.18400 joules just like 1 foot = 12 inches. If you measure 1 foot of oak and 1 foot of pine, they will both equal 12 inches...you can't say just because you measured a treated piece of oak 2x4 that 1 foot is less than or greater than 12 inches.

Where the difference comes in is not the unit of measure, but the person who is cutting and measuring and using the wood. One person may cut to the right of the measured line, while someone else will cut either to the left of the line or directly on the line. It's these subtle differences that will add up over time. It's the way people count and record calories.

Yes, it may or may not be true that the amount of calories listed on a package may be inaccurate because it takes less calories for a person to digest since it's now in a processed form...but the question is, by how much? And is that number accurate from person to person? Also, which is a greater calorie difference, the difference in the amount of calories it takes to digest something than is listed on the package, or the way a person measures their portion/serving size? Which one can be corrected and/or controlled by the individual? If counting calories is wrong...then why does it work for so many people?

For me...in my personal opinion...counting calories, watching macros, exercising...works...if done properly. By properly, I mean that people take the time to find out what a healthy deficit is, eat at that healthy deficit, have patients and just let it work. There is no other plan in the world that works better. Surgeries may work for a little while, but you still have to be diligent about how much you eat and the amount of activity you do in order for the results to maintain. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc, etc...all count calories, they just do it in a way that the person on the program doesn't really have to do all of the work.

There can be as many experiments on lab rats that you can imagine, you can have this group study or that group study, none of that matters until the person who wants to lose weight, wants to actually put the work into losing the weight. Be more diligent about finding a routine and program that they can..and will...actually follow. Something they can be consistant with, something that doesn't seem like a total strain and something they will be able to maintain for a lifetime.

Disclaimer: The information provided is my opinion only. While you may disagree with me, I really don't care. :flowerforyou: I am not a scientist, I have no formal training in this area, and I get most of my information either online or I pull it out of my butt.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Obviously a calorie is a calorie from an energy storage measurement perspective. Thats obvious. But seeing how this is a health forum, are all calories coming from all foods equal in terms of increasing our vitality and health, as well as losing weight, increasing lean mass, and improving athletic performance? My argument is no.

I think that the enzymatic, hormonal, and chemical reactions that occur in our bodies post-consumption dramatically affect our overall health, and no one can deny that different foods produce different enzymatic, hormonal, and chemical responses in our bodies. I would argue that the raw foodist that eats nothing cooked or processed and everything coming from its most natural state can indeed eat more calories than the typical fast-fooder, or even the slim fast/protein shake/processed food dieter. The reason being is because the various chemicals and enzymes in the raw food (still present in their raw, natural state) illicit a different hormonal and chemical response in our bodies, affecting how those calories are used, how many are used, and how many just get flushed on through the system.

Any thoughts on this?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This thread is a typical example of why science isn't advancing quicker. Some individuals are driven by the need to prove others wrong and they enjoy dissecting the writings of others. They also refuse to take what is good in something, then build on top of that through brainstorming and acceptance of differing personalities. Instead they seek out the bad, harp on it endlessly and quit only once they feel like they "won". With the collective intelligence of this forum, mountains could be moved, but it never will, at least as long as people keep viewing each other as various sorts of rivals. Foldit consists of layman gamers yet they did something big together. Some scientists are too bookish and could use the experience from "the streets", whereas those who read popular science only could benefit from a laid-back dialogue with writers of research articles. Minds are small.

Oh I disagree completely, and not just to be contrary. Dissent and competition are whats drives science and humans forward. The desire to excel, find answers etc...that is what makes us high on the food chain. Only when we question what we know do we surpass our current knowledge. Hell even in non-scientific fields we are taught to question, my very wise priest told me when you question your faith, that is when you have your first religious experience. So, yes, I strongly disagree with your statement. We are all rivals for knowledge, competitors for health...and that is what makes us great! Can we also be kind and supportive, hell to the YES!

I'm not sure you two disagree, though I think the first post was rather inelegantly phrased at that point. Putting a bunch of people in a room to have a discussion is a much better exercise if significant disagreement exists, especially in the realm of novel science. You test hypothesis, and rule out ones that don't work. I don't think the first post would disagree with that at all.

It is important, though, that everyone in the room is actually having the same conversation, which is something that is lost frequently. It doesn't just occur here, though the internet likely magnifies the experience. It's like saying, "OK, we're going to have a conversation about the best type of socks to wear for hiking. A handful of people are proponents of wool socks, a handful are proponents of cotton socks, a handful are a proponent of synthetic fibers, and are arguing the merits of each. A fourth group is sitting in the corner yelling "SOCKS ARE AWESOME, YOU SHOULD WEAR THEM!" Technically not something anyone in the room would disagree with, but completely besides the point, because that's not the conversation that everyone else is having.

Among the first three groups, if they're science minded, they'd eventually design a few experiments, run them, and see what the data says -- then make a conclusion. The fourth group would be, and should be, left out. They're not interested in the discussion the other group is having.
    Inelegance may always remain my middle name, since my first language isn't English. I try very hard to be precise in how I think, but at times, in discussions such as this one, I fail. Baked into my point was the socks analogy, believe it or not. You deserve kudos for your patience and I wonder what kind of scientist you are, a philosopher perhaps.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I really like this post, and I'd like to focus on a couple parts of it, specifically.
    For me...in my personal opinion...counting calories, watching macros, exercising...works...if done properly.

I think that's a pretty solid statement that would be very difficult to disagree with.
    Where the difference comes in is not the unit of measure, but the person who is cutting and measuring and using the wood. One person may cut to the right of the measured line, while someone else will cut either to the left of the line or directly on the line. It's these subtle differences that will add up over time. It's the way people count and record calories.

That's definitely one part of the vagueness of calorie counting, the portion size aspect of it. I like your metaphor regarding cutting wood, too. The second part that the article is pointing to in terms of the vagueness of calorie counting is in those biological and digestive effects -- if 10 calories of a food, consumed, actually ends up providing us with 6 calories of usable energy, should we even consider that food to have 10 calories at all? To go along with your metaphor -- if you're cutting 9 foot lengths from 10 foot boards, but some of the boards have 2 feet that are badly warped and unusable -- should we really consider them to be 10 feet? It's an interesting question that then raises the question about TDEE/BMR/etc. -- would looking at that 10 calorie food as, in essence, an 8 calorie food, give us a better understanding of what our TDEE/BMR actually is? Basically, allow us to be more accurate?
    Yes, it may or may not be true that the amount of calories listed on a package may be inaccurate because it takes less calories for a person to digest since it's now in a processed form...but the question is, by how much? And is that number accurate from person to person? Also, which is a greater calorie difference, the difference in the amount of calories it takes to digest something than is listed on the package, or the way a person measures their portion/serving size? Which one can be corrected and/or controlled by the individual? If counting calories is wrong...then why does it work for so many people?

These are all excellent questions, and they're some of the ones that popped into my head when I read the article.

"How much?" This is something I'd really be interested in seeing research for.

"Is it accurate from person to person?" Likely not with a high level of precision, but you could likely average it out -- thus reintroducing some of that vagueness, but still taking a step forward with regard to our understanding of how food effects our bodies.

"Is the difference in the amount of calories..." I think both things contribute to vague levels of calories. This "digestion factor" in addition to the "measuring/portion size" -- though when looked at, relative to the calories on the package, the digestion factor would seem to only take them away, not add. Meaning, a 10 calorie piece of food might give us 6 usable calories, but it won't ever give us 12 usable calories. Improper portion control can wildly skew results all over the board.

"If counting calories is wrong...why does it work for so many people?" I don't think the argument that they're making is that counting calories is wrong. The argument they are making is that the way in which we're counting calories might not be very accurate, and there might be more to it than we commonly hold to be true. This then raises the other questions from above. As for why it works for so many people -- as a thought experiment, I can think of one possible output to this article's research:

For instance, I think the maintainability of a diet is a very important piece of whether a diet works for a given person or not. Many, many people fail on calorie restricted diets -- meaning, they can't stay on them, and one complaint is often "hunger". Simply put, they're not eating enough food to not be hungry on their diet, and that's a factor in them coming off of it.

One of the benefits of research like this would be to consider foods that have lower bioavailability (i.e. what we currently consider a 10 calorie food, but only has 6 calories) -- building a diet around those foods, for people who complain about hunger, would be a way to intake the same amount of usable calories as a diet with foods of higher bioavailability, while adding volume/bulk to the diet. They could eat more of the 6 "net" calorie food than the 8 "net" calorie food, which could help them on the hunger sensations.

That's just my back-of-the-napkin thoughts on application of this research.

Thanks for the well thought out post.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Another aspect I'm thinking of, thanks to my thermodynamics comment earlier, is climate. In the summer I want a lot less heavy meals and favour salads, soups, sandwiches and the like, whereas winter weather leads to rich ingredients in my meals. This obviously isn't pure physiology, but the mind plays a part, too.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Re: the topic, I fail to see the point of the article. Accurately counting calories absorbed is a fool's game at this point. I thought that was generally understood. Nutritional labels are estimates. How well you prepare your food for absorption (chewing, quality of saliva, digestive enzyme efficiency, etc) is individual- and event- dependent. How much is used by the microbiome in your gut is also individual- and event- dependent. How efficiently you absorb available nutrients, the same.

The best that can be done is to run the experiment on yourself - if I eat X diet, my weight changes at Y rate. Second best is to use an estimator, but you're still going to end up running the experiment. It just gives you a place to start.

And as an aside:
    A secondary point that the article makes would be about concepts like denaturing proteins - that speaks not necessarily to the calorie impact of the food, but to the usability of the nutrient itself. If a piece of food X has 5g of protein, but when cooked, the proteins are denatured and unusable, one should not count 5g for protein intake, because that food may not be supplying the essential components of protein which are needed for life (which is why we count protein in the first place).

That speaks directly to the nutritional quality of a given calorie and is a pretty interesting point.

I think you are confused. Denaturing a protein does not make it unusable. What do you think happens to protein when it hits the hydrochloric acid and pepsinogen in your stomach? Or the trypsin, chymotrypsin and carboxypeptidases in your intestine? How do you think proteins are absorbed into the body? FYI - other than in neonates, the small intestine does not have the capacity to absorb intact proteins - they need to be broken down into amino acids and di- or tri- peptides, first.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    IMO some of you are just too focused on the scale. Do you have to track calories to lose or maintain weight? Yes. From that perspective a calorie is a calorie.

However I think we could argue that N calories a day from poultry, fish and veggies would be "better for you" than 1500 calories a day from McDonalds.

It's arguable that eating N calories a day of fast food, even though it would be the same amount of calories as "healthy" foods would have an adverse effect on your heath in terms of the fat., sodium and other preservatives you are taking in.

Many of the same people who want to argue that a "Calorie is a Calorie" also want to bludgeon you drinking zero calorie soda. Diet soda in my mind is the perfect example for this argument. If a calorie is a calorie, and water and diet soda both have zero, then there can be no negatives to drinking nothing but diet soda.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Way to miss the point of the discussion. We're talking calorie absorption as an energy source, how the body breaks down different sources of those calories, and whether that's something that is important to take into account when calorie counting, not discussing the nutritional benefits.

Calorie-wise, a diet soda is no different than water. Obviously when you consider things like caffeine, colors, flavors, etc, they are different. Whether that difference is important to you, is up to you.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Re: the topic, I fail to see the point of the article. Accurately counting calories absorbed is a fool's game at this point. I thought that was generally understood. Nutritional labels are estimates. How well you prepare your food for absorption (chewing, quality of saliva, digestive enzyme efficiency, etc) is individual- and event- dependent. How much is used by the microbiome in your gut is also individual- and event- dependent. How efficiently you absorb available nutrients, the same.

The best that can be done is to run the experiment on yourself - if I eat X diet, my weight changes at Y rate. Second best is to use an estimator, but you're still going to end up running the experiment. It just gives you a place to start.

I disagree on the "best that can be done" part -- while it is true that these things are highly individualistic, it doesn't necessarily follow that there is no value in approaching the topic as a macroscopic view of a population - an average. While we do vary, individual to individual, we likely vary within certain bounds -- it'd be interesting to know and understand those bounds, as well as the variance that one would expect to see, etc. Given that our labeling methodologies were developed based upon a certain standard, as we approach the problem from a public health perspective, if changing that standard (and therefore, the labeling methodology) results in a more informed populace and better health outcomes, it's something worth considering -- even if we're still not being very precise, we might be "better".
    And as an aside:
    A secondary point that the article makes would be about concepts like denaturing proteins - that speaks not necessarily to the calorie impact of the food, but to the usability of the nutrient itself. If a piece of food X has 5g of protein, but when cooked, the proteins are denatured and unusable, one should not count 5g for protein intake, because that food may not be supplying the essential components of protein which are needed for life (which is why we count protein in the first place).

That speaks directly to the nutritional quality of a given calorie and is a pretty interesting point.

I think you are confused. Denaturing a protein does not make it unusable. What do you think happens to protein when it hits the hydrochloric acid and pepsinogen in your stomach? Or the trypsin, chymotrypsin and carboxypeptidases in your intestine? How do you think proteins are absorbed into the body? FYI - other than in neonates, the small intestine does not have the capacity to absorb intact proteins - they need to be broken down into amino acids and di- or tri- peptides, first.

I didn't mean to imply causality between denaturing and unusability, though I can see why that is rather messily phrased. I work in a research field, but not specifically one that relates to nutritional science. My comments were meant more to illustrate an idea as to why research of this nature is valuable and fundamentally important, not to give a lecture on specific biological processes. I'll gladly bow to those with more expertise than I in addressing specific mechanisms.

Also as an aside, the "generally understood" part of your first paragraph...I always thought that was the case. Reading a lot of threads here, though, it doesn't seem to be the generally understood thought within these forums.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I did not read the article, but I really don't have to in order to know my opinion

A calorie is a calorie & a pound is a pound.
    I choose to obtain most of my calories from real, whole foods, and keep as many of my pounds of the lean muscle mass type.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I did not read the article, but I really don't have to in order to know my opinion

I choose to obtain most of my calories from real, whole foods, and keep as many of my pounds of the lean muscle mass type.

I mean this completely honestly, and without snark:

If you didn't read the article, and have no interest in discussing what the article even talks about, why would you feel the need to even respond? Without the context of the article, the title of the post is without meaning.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options

If you didn't read the article, and have no interest in discussing what the article even talks about, why would you feel the need to even respond? Without the context of the article, the title of the post is without meaning.

^^THIS
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Completely valid question. I assumed it was yet another typical calorie vs calorie debate involving good vs bad foods, hence the sarcastic repsponse and I just threw in the lb of muscle vs lb of fat comment just to add more. However after having went and actually read the article, it's quite interesting. FTR I have never bought into that a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from, (based on nutrient values of different foods) this article gives further backing to that belief.
    My apologies for the sarcasm.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    a calorie is just a calorie...quality does not matter, quantity does...

Is the article saying that you can eat a caloric surplus of "quality" calories and you won't gain?

You can eat + 3500 a week of "quality" calories, and you will gain one pound a week....

If you don't believe me try it and see what happens..

so a calorie is a calorie...which is a measure of energy ..eat too many, you gain; eat too few, you lose..

A woman, Sally, is eating 1000kcal a day, walking briskly three times a week for a couple miles, and isn't losing any weight. What do you tell her to do?

there is not enough information about "Sally" to give advice....has she been eating at 1000 calories for over six months? If yes, could be metabolic slowdown and she may need to eat more. How many calories is she burning on these walks? Does she weigh, measure, log everything? how tall is she, weight? etc...

Presumably, she's in a lab, and everything is tightly controlled, measured, etc. She's in a bubble in this hypothetical situation. Though the point I was trying to make is contained within your response:
    If yes, could be metabolic slowdown and she may need to eat more...

The point you had been making previously in this thread (and others) is that calories are all that matter. It's a reasonable position to take, definitely in line with common (if overly simplistic) nutritional thought today. However, when presented with a person who was eating at a given calorie range and not losing weight, you prescribed "eat more" as a therapy.

If calories were actually the absolute bottom line, your prescription would be doomed to fail - more calories would mean she would start gaining weight, contrary to Sally's stated goal of losing. The admission that eating more can be a therapy that leads to increased weight loss presupposes that there are outside issues other than calories that play a role in weight management -- metabolism, in this case. The article was simply making the case that digestion and other factors also play a role, which is not a very radical position to take.

I don't think my prescription would be doomed to fail; as I would recommend Sally eat over 1000 for a six month period until she re-set her metabolism and then would either reduce to a maintenance level to maintain weight or deficit to lose weight.

assuming a normal person that has normal eating habits, then yes a calorie is just a calorie and if you eat less you lose, if you eat more you gain.

Also, out here in the real world people are not confined to a lab with tight control restrictions, etc...so the example, with all due respect, is a little absurd.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    assuming a normal person that has normal eating habits, then yes a calorie is just a calorie and if you eat less you lose, if you eat more you gain.

I'm not sure if you've read the rest of the thread in between our conversations, but I think there's been a lot said (along with some general agreements on both sides of the fence) that flesh out my thoughts on this.
    Also, out here in the real world people are not confined to a lab with tight control restrictions, etc...so the example, with all due respect, is a little absurd.

For the purposes of the thought experiment, the variables needed to be controlled. Otherwise, we could just argue endlessly about a thousand piece of minutiae that didn't really add anything to the point. The discussion of laboratory v.s. practical has been mentioned here (and was mentioned in the article as well).
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Completely valid question. I assumed it was yet another typical calorie vs calorie debate involving good vs bad foods, hence the sarcastic repsponse and I just threw in the lb of muscle vs lb of fat comment just to add more. However after having went and actually read the article, it's quite interesting. FTR I have never bought into that a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from, (based on nutrient values of different foods) this article gives further backing to that belief.
    My apologies for the sarcasm.

No worries -- I'm glad to get your input on the article.

I feel like there are plenty of intelligent people here that could be capable of having legitimate discussions -- within the realm of nutrition, there are very few things that can't have opposing positions -- but it gets bogged down in favor of snark, sarcasm, and memes. It does everyone a disservice, I think, so I try not to. I don't always accomplish that goal. :laugh:

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with you.