Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Use lowercase letters in the img tag. :smile:
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All good tips, but I prefer not to weigh myself daily. I weigh in weekly, but to be honest I couldn't care less what the scale says these days. Rather the way I'm starting to look and how my clothes are fitting are much bigger motivators for me personally. YMMV.
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    Like this .....thanks.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So true.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    All good tips, but I prefer not to weigh myself daily. I weigh in weekly, but to be honest I couldn't care less what the scale says these days. Rather the way I'm starting to look and how my clothes are fitting are much bigger motivators for me personally. YMMV.

^This. I weigh weekly (except during the summer since I've been doing my work away from the gym, I like to use the same scale) as a means of seeing how my weight is going, but I'm not really concerned with the # - it's almost more of a curiosity thing at this point. I don't measure often, but I like seeing the difference in clothes - for example, when I started at the beginning of January I was packed tightly into size 38 pants, I'm now very comfortably wearing size 34. I know I'm making progress by the comments I'm getting from a lot of people. Ultimately, my biggest reason for doing this is to stay healthy & I certainly feel much better.....
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest of you. Wonderful tips exect for the weight daily. That should be once a week.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I disagree what weighing daily is bad. I weigh daily. We all know we can fluctuate, sometimes by a number of pounds a day, so how can you know if the one day you weigh a week isn't just a fluctuation? Weighing everyday gives you more data, I don't see how that's bad. As long as you remember that fluctuations happen and to focus on your overall progress, it's fine, and you have to do that with weekly weigh ins anyway. Plus, weighing everyday makes it easier to get out of bed because I'm excited to see how much I've lost since the day before.

Though the skipping breakfast one confuses me. 'Skipping breakfast may make you more likely to indulge'. But if you're counting calories - which presumably most of us are - you know how much you can eat in a day and will eat that much. If you have a snack because you're hungry from not having breakfast you'll take that much out of dinner or whatever. If this is aimed at people not counting calories fine, but that one seems a bit pointless for calorie counters.

The rest of the tips seem great.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating out, as long as you make healthy choices.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!!! :)
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm in the weighing daily camp. I'm motivated by metrics, both positive and negative ones!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The scale is an evil box. That being said, I do weigh every other day....just to keep a handle on things.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    So much LOL. Do yoga! Eat fruit! Don't skip breakfast! Weigh yourself EVERY DAY! This sounds like a sorority girl's daily checklist.

How about just "Eat fewer calories than you burn." The rest of this is superfluous.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I weigh daily also. Mostly for my work out Log. As I like to have the extra data to go along with my diet plan ....Heck, I can fluctuate up and down by 5 lbs a day, no biggie. It's the long term trend that matters ....
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The majority are good tips, except eating breakfast has never worked for me and weighing daily would just drive me insane.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    So much LOL. Do yoga! Eat fruit! Don't skip breakfast! Weigh yourself EVERY DAY! This sounds like a sorority girl's daily checklist.

How about just "Eat fewer calories than you burn." The rest of this is superfluous.

QFT
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

QFT

But they're all tips that aim to help you achieve that. Do yoga so you can burn more, don't skip breakfast so you don't end up eating more. They're aimed at helping people who struggle with dieting to achieve that goal, and to not go wrong. And I'm sure no one here is going to say that simply eating less is as good as eating less with a proper exercise regime with things like strength training.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I disagree what weighing daily is bad. I weigh daily. We all know we can fluctuate, sometimes by a number of pounds a day, so how can you know if the one day you weigh a week isn't just a fluctuation? Weighing everyday gives you more data, I don't see how that's bad. As long as you remember that fluctuations happen and to focus on your overall progress, it's fine, and you have to do that with weekly weigh ins anyway. Plus, weighing everyday makes it easier to get out of bed because I'm excited to see how much I've lost since the day before.

Though the skipping breakfast one confuses me. 'Skipping breakfast may make you more likely to indulge'. But if you're counting calories - which presumably most of us are - you know how much you can eat in a day and will eat that much. If you have a snack because you're hungry from not having breakfast you'll take that much out of dinner or whatever. If this is aimed at people not counting calories fine, but that one seems a bit pointless for calorie counters.

The rest of the tips seem great.

I don't think anybody's saying weighing ever day is "bad", some of us just prefer not to. Personally, I've gotten away from worrying about the # on the scale so once a week is enough for me, but I might check it the next day if it seems the # I saw was way different than what I expected. As somebody else pointed out, weight can fluctuate by a few pounds day to day, so obsessing about that would make me nuts. Some people use daily weighing as a means to stay focused, for some people it works great as a tracking tool. Bottom line is that you need to do whatever it takes to be as successful as you can & if weighing daily works for you then, by all means, do it.......

In theory you are 100 % right about the calorie counting, but some people don't have the discipline to stick to the count if they end up too hungry later in the day because they skipped something when their body is used to having it - they end up binging or eating something really crappy which ends up a lot worse for them in the long run than eating a nutritional breakfast. Once or twice isn't going to hurt, but it gets too easy to fall into doing it more often & promising yourself you'll get back on track. Again, this is a different strokes for different folks situation. Some people absolutely cannot eat in the morning while others have to. The key here is knowing what works best for you & what YOUR body responds to.....

I just hope that everybody who has taken the initiative to be on this site & work hard to make the improvements they want/need has the success they are looking for. Everybody just needs to remember that there is no magic one size fits all answer on how to get there. The basic theory is the same for everybody - eat less, move more - but the road to get there is different for everybody....
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't agree w/ #8. Weighing yourself everyday is ridiculous. And I believe in everything in moderation, so if I want a pop or to eat out, I'll do it as long as it fits into my day.

Everything else looks good.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss.

That is all.