4 pound gain after cheat day? Confused and discouraged!

Options

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    FIrst off, Id like to take the time to point out that none of the answers given have come along side any credentials. And it sounds like most people dont really understand whats going on. Let me start by introducing myself. 14 year fitness veteran, played sports my whole life, I am NASM CPT and NFPT CPT certified. ... Now, to the root of this post... the "cheat day." I should first say this. you should never give yourself and entire day to cheat. you WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work. Give yourself a cheat MEAL.

I've worked with a couple of great certified personal trainers over the years, and from what I see on the exam requirements there's no focus on specific knowledge of nutritional science ... and my understanding is, to give nutritional advice you must be additionally certified as a nutritionist. See:

http://www.nfpt.com/certification/the-exam
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5539648_nutrition-certification-personal-trainers.html

If you're going to claim expertise based on your credentials, then make an absolute statement like "you WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work", I would hope you'd provide research citations and also let us know what formal background you have as a nutritionist or dietitian. Also, what training have you had to help you understand the impact of what you're saying on people with eating disorders, body dysmorphic disorders, or other problems? Making absolute statements like this can do psychological damage to someone who's fragile, doing far more long-term damage than the cheat day. And that's based on MY credentials as a licensed mental health professional.

A lot of the rest of your advice, like not weighing yourself too often, I do agree is sound and helpful, by the way.
  • katieredmond5243
    Options
    I started exercising and being really strict with my diet(calorie counting) this week. I walked/jogged 3 days in a row. The first day I lost 2 pounds. After the 2nd day, I gained .4 pounds. I figured muscle or water weight fluctuation, etc. No big deal. After the 3rd day of walking it was a family member's birthday so I had a "cheat day" to eat pizza and cookie cake. At the end of the day I ate 2100 calories but the next day I gained 4 pounds! Yesterday I counted calories again, I did okay, and still I'm gaining weight.
    I do not understand what's going on exactly! I've been stuck at the 215 area for weeks. I'll drop down to 211, then shoot back up to 215-217 right after. Even after exercising, being strict on calories, it happened! Seemingly all over 1 cheat day. I feel like I will have to be strict the rest of my life. I mean sure I ate 2100 calories, but it's not really a cheat day if I'm still eating 1500, and it was a special occasion, so whats the deal here?

FIrst off, Id like to take the time to point out that none of the answers given have come along side any credentials. And it sounds like most people dont really understand whats going on. Let me start by introducing myself. 14 year fitness veteran, played sports my whole life, I am NASM CPT and NFPT CPT certified. Have been a trainer for 6 years, and am now training bodybuilders and female fitness and strength competitors. I typically dont respond to forum posts, but with the info given, Id like to offer you some help to really get you going.

The very first issue I see with what is going on, is you are taking in FAR to few calories. Given your weight, its fair to say you have, for a while at least, consumed upwards of 3000 cals per day (really, really easy to do if the foods not right). To effectively cut your calorie intake in half is nothing short of starvation. You may lose some weight, but this is not sustainable over the long haul (i.e. your lifetime). My bikini competitors, who weigh anywhere from 118-132lbs consume between 1800-2100 cals depending on their body type. While they do well in competition, Ive yet to get one to win. Im saying this to give you a rough idea of where you should be at. I would recommend starting at about 2200 CLEAN cals and start working down from there as you continue dropping weight. 2200 clean cals is going to be A LOT of eating, and will definitely keep you feeling full all day (number 1 cause of program failure).

The next thing that is going to be crucial, especially in the first 6-9 months of your transformation, is going to be to STAY OFF THE SCALE!!! Unless you have been lifting weights for several years, and have a significant amount of muscle mass, any exercise and proper eating is going to lead to muscle gain. 1lb of muscle takes up about 20% the space as 1lb of fat. So in the beginnning as your body is building muscle and dropping fat, you WILL go up in weight. its inevitable. Muscle is built faster than fat is lost, in the beginning. after about 6 months, you will be in full fat burning mode, and at that point, by all means, weigh yourself daily! until then, keep it to once a week, AT MOST! Whats more important is how you look. as the fat comes off, you will start to notice it. Look at yourself fresh out of the shower, EVERY SINGLE day! There is no better gauge in the beginning than how you look.

Now, to the root of this post... the "cheat day." I should first say this. you should never give yourself and entire day to cheat. you WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work. Give yourself a cheat MEAL. One. Not two or three, not dinner AND dessert. One. I know at parties its hard, and for a birthday, maybe a slice or two of pizza and a small piece of cake is ok. any more than that, and..well, youll be asking what happened. Now, short of knowing just how much you ate, Im going to venture to say, you most likely ate more than 2100 cals if you had pizza and cake, AND still ate your regular meals prior to that. That also doesnt include and soft drinks or anything other than water, black coffee or unsweetened tea. the calories really do add up quick.

Now what you are experiencing is DEFINITELY NOT legitimate weight gain.. one lb of fat equals 3500 cals. 4lbs in one day would be impossible, literally. What you have to remember is that that pizza and cake both have crappy calories, no fiber, and lots of preservatives. What this all adds up to is it moving REALLY slowly through your digestive tract. Along the way it retains water, and backs up and other foods you ate after it. You most likely are noticed the weight of the food in your digestive tract, coupled with a LOT of water retention from the very high amount of carbs, and refined sugars, plus the amount of salt in both. Give it a couple days, maybe go sweat in the sauna at your local gym for 15 mins, and drink a gallon of water a day—yes, a gallon a day—to flush the toxins and and sodium out of your system. Then, my next recommendation, is to go to your local gym and get a membership, if you already havent, and then go befriend a female trainer. Yes, a trainer. While MFP is great, and the internet is great, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like having someone who is already in good shape, who has an understanding of how to make these types of changes, and have them pass that knowledge on to you. When I was a kid, I didnt just start lifting, I had someone teach me. Then I went to school for it, to learn even more from people who know what theyre doing. Its like making clothes. You sure can find a lot of info on sewing online, but to actually learn it, takes a teacher. If you cant afford what the gym charges, let me know, and I can either point in the direction of someone who can help you, or help you myself via an video conferencing program i have. Its up to you.

Either way, dont sweat your one cheat day too much, get back on the horse and ride! And I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

This has made me think so much more positive today!! My treat day was yesterday I weighed today and as you guessed it I put 4 pound on gutted :-(!!

But water is Guna save me as am drinking and drinking so thank you :-)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself everyday. You'll go mad.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I started exercising and being really strict with my diet(calorie counting) this week. I walked/jogged 3 days in a row. The first day I lost 2 pounds. After the 2nd day, I gained .4 pounds. I figured muscle or water weight fluctuation, etc. No big deal. After the 3rd day of walking it was a family member's birthday so I had a "cheat day" to eat pizza and cookie cake. At the end of the day I ate 2100 calories but the next day I gained 4 pounds! Yesterday I counted calories again, I did okay, and still I'm gaining weight.
    I do not understand what's going on exactly! I've been stuck at the 215 area for weeks. I'll drop down to 211, then shoot back up to 215-217 right after. Even after exercising, being strict on calories, it happened! Seemingly all over 1 cheat day. I feel like I will have to be strict the rest of my life. I mean sure I ate 2100 calories, but it's not really a cheat day if I'm still eating 1500, and it was a special occasion, so whats the deal here?

When you eat a ton of carbs, especially after a stretch of eating lower carbs your body will suck in water.

My suggestion would be start adding in some weightlifting (the heavier the better but start lighter and move up) and start using a tape measure to measure your arms around the biceps, waist at belly button, hips, and both thighs.) Do it once a month and record it.

Exercising more also lets you eat more, which helps keep you sane IMO.

If your measurements are the same or less, who cares what you weight? Focusing on weight just makes you crazy and discouraged like you are right now.

Good luck!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yep, not eating my own food does it to me every single time. Very sensitive to sodium. And watch those cheat days, till you are in a groove, and really understand your body. Cheat days if not careful, can throw you into maintenance, or horrors even gain. Not a fan of cheat days anyway. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. With that meal I would have exercised more portion control.
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    huh? thats nothin..I gain as much as 9 lbs after cheat day...it goes away in 2 days plus a loss! you have MUCH to learn about the art of CHEATIN
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    for what its worth I easily gain 3 lbs drinking some fuji water...
  • sudhama1447
    sudhama1447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    u r fine ! its normal for weight to fluctuate from 0-6 lbs per day depending on ur sodium content..... so cut down salt and make sure sodium is not more than 1500mg.

and eat more fruits and sleep well to bring it back !!!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Now, to the root of this post... the "cheat day." I should first say this. you should never give yourself and entire day to cheat. you WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work.

You see that weight loss below in my ticker?

The whole time I was achieving those results, I had 2-3 "cheat days" a month (though I never called them that).

Not cheat meals. Days. I did not track them. I did not binge, but I ate well over maintenance. Granted, my typical days were awesome and I exercised regularly, including on these so-called "cheat days". Others' results will vary.

But to say that a "cheat day" "WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work" is BS.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

If you're going to weigh yourself every day (as I do too) you need to relax about the daily ups and downs! Your weight can vary by a number of pounds from day to day. Water retention due to sodium or time of the month, constipation, all sorts of factors can make your weight go up and down unpredictably. I get that you've been stuck yoyoing up and down for some weeks. That happens, keep eating sensibly and you will lose weight.

This.

Your weight will fluctuate from day to day. As much as 5 pounds or more. Like someone else said, one pound = 3500 calories. Either relax about the fluctuations or quit weighing daily.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Never weigh yourself the morning after a cheat day. Your intestines are still full of food and you're retaining water. Wait at least 3 days for everything to work its way through.

^^ THAT

OP. So you weighed yourself AFTER a cheat day. Understandable; you wanted to see how much damage youve done right? No reason to immediately freak out. Wait a couple days (after going back to your routine of course) and then check.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Now, to the root of this post... the "cheat day." I should first say this. you should never give yourself and entire day to cheat. you WILL, without fail, ruin the ENTIRE WEEKS worth of hard work.

[/quote]

I guess all those weekends of eating steaks and 1/2 gallons of ice cream while washing it down with bottles of wine have RUINED EVERYTHING. :sad: I should just quit now and gain my 35lbs back because clearly an entire day (usually more like 2-2.5) of eating over my cals has without fail ruined everything I have ever done this entire time. :cry: Thanks a lot.
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is good to see how your body reacts to different foods, howevere you should only officially weigh in once a week at the same time. A daily change will happen due to caloric density of food, sodium intake, water retention, etc. Don't be discouraged! Drink extra water after a cheat day to help flush your system, and then give it a day or two.

Also remember that your body doesnt instantaneously gain or lose weight... A calorie gain or deficit has an effect over time.
  • davelllogan
    davelllogan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it's all water weight. Keep strong.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I concur with most others it is likely water weight and food that hasn't left your system yet. I have started weighing everyday, personally I find it helps keep me accountable.
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position I don't work out much just mainly watching what I I eat and yesterday I had a intense cardio treadmill for 45min then full court basketball for 40min .

When I got to the gym I was 279 woke up before a mourning treadmill walk and I was 274.

Then I had a bad day I make bad choices when I'm hungry hungry and begin to stressed and thats what today was I went over 1100 in my calorie intake and had bonee less chicken wings and fries and then ice cream with my daughter .

Weighted my self when I got home and it was 282 8lb gain.

Could most of it just be water weight cause all my sodium intake ?
  • femishah
    femishah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have lots of water during the day and isabgol fiber supplement an night with water to flush the toxins out and don't get discouraged it happens to many people
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread! 2013. Well done.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Chest days I think should be once a month as you can undo a whole weeks good work in one day
    Tbh in on week 9 I've had no chest day & wont until I've lost 40lbs just I lose so slow
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Chest days I think should be once a month as you can undo a whole weeks good work in one day
    Tbh in on week 9 I've had no chest day & wont until I've lost 40lbs just I lose so slow

Many a lifter here will disagree with you on that.... ;);)