Need a low carb/low cal pizza recipe please!

Options
2»

Replies

• hrbonner
    hrbonner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jamie Oliver Pizza Oliver Dough Recipe

INGREDIENTS

7 cups "00" flour or strong white bread flour, plus more for work surface and bowl 1 tablespoon fine sea salt 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water 2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast 1 tablespoon raw sugar, such as turbinado or Demerara 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    DIRECTIONS

STEP 1
    Place flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water, yeast, sugar, and olive oil. Process until a dough has formed.

STEP 2
    Dust a large bowl with flour and transfer dough in bowl. Sprinkle flour on top of dough and cover with a damp towel. Let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

STEP 3
    Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Use immediately, or wrap dough in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Then add the topping you want... I can get 16 individual pizzas out of this recipe (I cut the dough into quarters, freeze 3 of them for future use... the remaining 1/4 makes 4 individual pizzas when rolled out flat.

Works out about 270 kcals for the dough- add the topping you want. This isnt per slice- its for the whole pizza, and with a bit of salad its a whole main meal!!

Highly recommend- very tasty and good fun to make too!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    isn't low carb pizza just... a salad?

Yes it is and calling it a pizza is a misuse of the English language and in my eyes should be punished by 50 lashings for the first 10 violations and then death. There are 3 things that make a pizza #1 a crust made from a dough the crust can be thin, thick or anywhere in between if you use something like a mushroom that is not a dough that is a version of a stuffed mushroom and cauliflower is not a dough that is a vegetable topped with more vegetables, #2 a sauce normally a tomato sauce but can be oil, garlic butter, cream, etc #3 toppings this includes cheese, meats, vegetables, fruits, fungus, pretty much sky is the limit. Without the dough crust you have a sauce with toppings not a pizza without a sauce you have a dough with stuff on it not a pizza, without a topping you have a bread stick with a dipping sauce not a pizza.

Not using names correctly really grinds my gears, just because you want to call it something does not make it true. Another example would be meatless meatloaf, if it does not have meat in it it is not meatloaf it is a pile of crap you put together use a correct name like vegetable loaf, or mushroom loaf, or Styrofoam loaf but it is not meatloaf if it does not have MEAT.
  • roxyj0mar
    roxyj0mar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to do the omelette thing, too. I would saute mushrooms, onions & green peppers and remove from pan. Cook the scrambled eggs, add the veges back in, a couple spoonfuls of spaghetti sauce & mozzerella, and a few chopped pepperonis, and fold the eggs over. I thought it was pretty good.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust has been suggested already, but here's a variation that omits cheese in the crust mixture. I like this variation, since I can use more cheese as topping without exaggerating the calorie count. Here's the link:

http://detoxinista.com/2012/01/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Hope this woks for you, Cheers!

Thanks!! Cheese has so much sodium!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

Yes it is and calling it a pizza is a misuse of the English language and in my eyes should be punished by 50 lashings for the first 10 violations and then death. There are 3 things that make a pizza #1 a crust made from a dough the crust can be thin, thick or anywhere in between if you use something like a mushroom that is not a dough that is a version of a stuffed mushroom and cauliflower is not a dough that is a vegetable topped with more vegetables, #2 a sauce normally a tomato sauce but can be oil, garlic butter, cream, etc #3 toppings this includes cheese, meats, vegetables, fruits, fungus, pretty much sky is the limit. Without the dough crust you have a sauce with toppings not a pizza without a sauce you have a dough with stuff on it not a pizza, without a topping you have a bread stick with a dipping sauce not a pizza.

Not using names correctly really grinds my gears, just because you want to call it something does not make it true. Another example would be meatless meatloaf, if it does not have meat in it it is not meatloaf it is a pile of crap you put together use a correct name like vegetable loaf, or mushroom loaf, or Styrofoam loaf but it is not meatloaf if it does not have MEAT.

Time to get a life, me thinks
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options

tumblr_lyloo3MDGO1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

So funny
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    spinach-crust pizza-like substance

spinachcrustpizza1_zps6e69ce49.jpg

it's better than you imagine. Just google 'spinach crust pizza' and you'll find lots of recipes. Basically, throw a mess of raw spinach, a 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella, and 1-3 eggs in the food processor and whir. Stir another 1/2 cup of shredded cheese in it. Put a sheet of parchment paper on a pizza pan and spread the lumpy green goo out in a circle. Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes. Top it with whatever you want and throw it under the broiler for a couple minutes to melt the toppings. That's really all there is to it.

Don't skip the parchment paper. All the recipes say it will stick like concrete otherwise.

Gee, now that you have reminded me of it, I think we'll have a variation for supper. We don't have any mozzi so I think I'll use feta and parm. I don't think the kind of cheese matters much.

That looks downright awful.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    That looks downright awful.

And people say a cauliflower crust is good? :noway:

We just had another spinach-crust pizza-like substance for supper and it was good again. Maybe it should be called "spinach-BASED pizza-SHAPED substance."

Truth be told, the stuff that looks like tomato sauce in the picture is actually a roasted red pepper, butternut squash, and marsala sauce. Does that make it sound better or worse? :devil:
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I want a low-cal pizza, I just take a FlatOut brand (I prefer Multi-Grain with Flax Seed) flatbread, top it with sauce, veggies, and cheese, and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes at 350. Makes a really yummy thin, crispy crust.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you can have dominos for that, go to dominos.com and look at their nutrition link at the bottom of the page, they have a calorie calculator on there you can input different pizza combinations and see calories, I know for 205 calories per slice I get a thin crust with pineapple, green bell pepper, spinach and roasted red peppers
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Roll out your crust really thin. Go light on the sauce. Mix your mozzarella with a lower-calorie cheese like Parmesan or feta. Use vegetables instead of meat for toppings. Cut smaller slices.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

So glad someone said this.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be under 200 calories? Also, I tend to find that when I am craving something, making a super healthy bastardized version of it does nothing to curb that craving.

If you insist, however, I would suggest going with the FlatOut suggestion. They are just a hair thicker than most low carb tortillas and only 100 calories, leaving you 100 (again, not sure what's with this 200 number...) for the sauce and some toppings.
  • remimarie
    Options
    I haven't exactly calculated it yet, but this is what I use to make my pizzas:

1 whole wheat pita bread
    2 Tbsp of tomato sauce
    2 large slices of skimmed mozzarela cheese (cut it in quarters to spread throughout the pizza)
    4 fresh basil leaves

You can also make a bbq chicken one:

1 whole wheat pita bread
    2 tbsp bbq sauce
    1/4 shredded chicken breast
    2 large slices of tomatoes (cut in quarters)
    1/4 cup grated low fat cheddar cheese
    1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    1 chopped green onion

Bake for 20-30 min @ 350 degrees
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Also, I just remembered this was an option because I ate some at lunch, you can use the Nature's Own sandwich rounds to make mini pizzas.
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    spinach-crust pizza-like substance

it's better than you imagine. Just google 'spinach crust pizza' and you'll find lots of recipes. Basically, throw a mess of raw spinach, a 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella, and 1-3 eggs in the food processor and whir. Stir another 1/2 cup of shredded cheese in it. Put a sheet of parchment paper on a pizza pan and spread the lumpy green goo out in a circle. Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes. Top it with whatever you want and throw it under the broiler for a couple minutes to melt the toppings. That's really all there is to it.

Don't skip the parchment paper. All the recipes say it will stick like concrete otherwise.

Gee, now that you have reminded me of it, I think we'll have a variation for supper. We don't have any mozzi so I think I'll use feta and parm. I don't think the kind of cheese matters much.

tumblr_lyloo3MDGO1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

did I really just see the words "lumpy green goo" used to describe a pizza crust?

Bwahahahahahaaa!
    I would totally choose to eat one slice of pizza from my favorite joint for 200-something calories than make spinach crust pizza. THAT would not get the job done for me. And of course the kind of cheese matters! Fresh mozza will always be lower calories than that brick of dry white stuff and will be ooey gooey good!