Shakeology while pregnant

Options
Kat120285
Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
Just wondering if any expectant moms out there or moms who have already had their babies continued to use shakeology during pregnancy. And if they did what were the benefits or downfalls?

I will be consulting my doctor but I also want to hear from those who have actually gone through the pregnancy process.

Thanks for any input :smile:

Replies

• agressre
    agressre Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't drink shakes but I did use my pregnancy as a great reason to try and eat healthy. I am glad that you are going to talk to your Doctor. I was 25 pounds over my "ideal" body weight. My Doctor was very clear that she did not think this was the time for me to be losing weight but that I should focus on limiting the weight I gained.

I was told to aim for 300 additional calories a day, preferably in the form of fruits, vegtables, and calcium. I aimed to put on 25-30 pounds. I ended up putting on 32 pounds. My baby was over 10 pounds (no diabeties for either one of us, he was just big) so I think that 32 pounds was pretty darn good.

Honestly, this is a great time to focus on being healthy. You will have cravings. You are going to feel really large. You are not going to like what happens to your body. It simply is not the time to be worried about "Does this shake/meal/piece of toast really fill me up?". There is enough going on that I cannot imagine adding to that.

What to Expect When Expecting actually has a really good section on food. It gives you a good sense of what foods will help you hit what your body needs to keep you healthy and the baby healthy. I snacked, but I used the 1/2 cup and 1 cup tupperware containers to measure and carry snacks. I loved the Kind Bars (the sea salt and chocolate one is awesome and helped my chocolate cravings). The 100 calorie snack packs were great when cravings hit.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if any expectant moms out there or moms who have already had their babies continued to use shakeology during pregnancy. And if they did what were the benefits or downfalls?

I will be consulting my doctor but I also want to hear from those who have actually gone through the pregnancy process.

Go to the Beachbody site. I want to say that I saw a post recommending that pregnant and nursing women NOT have shakeology unless it was the vegan version. I'm going from memory here but there was something about an excess of something that was not good, but that excess was not in the vegan The post I saw was an official beachbody response to a request from a coach about breastfeeding.

Edit - I went to find the post and of course I can't. I don't know why I remember excess vitamin A. I could be completely misremembering this. Again, I'd go to your beachbody coach and ask him or her to ask beachbody officially.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If there is any "herbal weight loss" element to Shakeology then it is definitely not appropriate for a pregnant or breastfeeding woman.
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not looking to it for weight loss, I just drink it because of all the vitamins and such. You can use it as a weight loss tool but you can also just use it as a nutritional shake which is what I do. I have the tropical which is the vegan but I think I will go to the beachbody site and post something there.

Thanks again!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Should prob check with your doc if all those 70 superfoods are ok to consume while preggars, although many of the ingredients are likely in microscopic dosages
  • jkoenig1980
    jkoenig1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Why waste you money on that?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I shall quote a great forum poster who isn't with us anymore. May she RIB.

"Don't Shakeology your baby."
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not looking to it for weight loss, I just drink it because of all the vitamins and such. You can use it as a weight loss tool but you can also just use it as a nutritional shake which is what I do. I have the tropical which is the vegan but I think I will go to the beachbody site and post something there.

Thanks again!

Bring an ingredient list to your doctor and ask them. For vitamins your best to just take a prenatal vitamin while pregnant. There may be ingredients within shakeology that you shouldn't consume while pregnant. I personally wouldn't waste my money on it. It's far too expensive for what it contains. Best thing is to consume lots of fresh, healthy foods while pregnant.

I wouldn't post on the beachbody site. They are not doctors there. Any nutritional advice, especially while pregnant should come from someone who is trained in it.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I personally quit using it while pregnant b/c it made me feel sooo sick :( That being said, I second the idea of taking the ingredient list to your doctor and asking. Any vitamins in it are pretty small amounts, really...but it may have something not good for pregnancy. The OLD formula was fine, but I know they have changed it since I got off it. Also, you can post on BB site, but take what the coaches say with a greain of salt...most coaches don't know what they are talking about (from experience, I WAS a coach..ANYONE can sign up to coach and get the coaching discount..doesn't mean they have to have any knowledge of Shakeology or fitness...just told to push them ). My coach gave me horrible advice for doing P90X while breastfeeding as far as how many calories to consume..lol...told me I didn't need anymore than 1300 (NOT eating back exercise calories either!) ..umm....breastfeeding and doing p90X and not going over 1300? I don't think so!!! Then he told me if I started having problems, to just stop BFing like his wife did..the weight loss was more important...and he was a higher up there coach....lol....so go with your doctor's opinion :) Esp.; since no forum or coach knows your personal health history...
  • Kat120285
    Options
    I personally quit using it while pregnant b/c it made me feel sooo sick :( That being said, I second the idea of taking the ingredient list to your doctor and asking. Any vitamins in it are pretty small amounts, really...but it may have something not good for pregnancy. The OLD formula was fine, but I know they have changed it since I got off it. Also, you can post on BB site, but take what the coaches say with a greain of salt...most coaches don't know what they are talking about (from experience, I WAS a coach..ANYONE can sign up to coach and get the coaching discount..doesn't mean they have to have any knowledge of Shakeology or fitness...just told to push them ). My coach gave me horrible advice for doing P90X while breastfeeding as far as how many calories to consume..lol...told me I didn't need anymore than 1300 (NOT eating back exercise calories either!) ..umm....breastfeeding and doing p90X and not going over 1300? I don't think so!!! Then he told me if I started having problems, to just stop BFing like his wife did..the weight loss was more important...and he was a higher up there coach....lol....so go with your doctor's opinion :) Esp.; since no forum or coach knows your personal health history...

Wow, yeah I know anyone can sign up but wow, I can't believe he told you that! I'll definitely be talking to my doctor I was just curious and wanted to ask other expectant or already moms out there. I already eat healthy, always have thanks to my Gramp having a huge garden and my Gram cooking healthy meals. I just love the tropical shakeology and the energy it gives me. Thanks again for all the responses.