Does yogurt increase the sense of hunger?

Options
mp_deep
mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
Yesterday i ate 300 grams of yogurt. After 15 minutes i feel increasing sense of hunger. Does it happen to you ?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    no in fact quite the opposite. My typical breakfast is 138 grams of strained plain yogurt (Greek style, but home made) with 1 packet of Splenda sweetener and 29 grams of Grape Nuts cereal in it, and I don't need to eat again for 3+ hours. I don't know if it's the decent amount of protein (17g in that) or the 4g fiber or what but it works.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    for me eating yogurt alone does nothing to satisfy my hunger, but it does not increase it either. I usually try to eat yogurt with something else such as fruit in order to increase satiety. One of my favorite things to do is make homemade yogurt and drain off the whey overnight and use the resulting product (labaneh) in lieu of sour cream or cream cheese.
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Other opinions ?
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not yogurt, but banana's do that to me. I'm hungrier after I eat one than before.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If there's sugar in it, yes for sure. However, a cup of Greek yogurt really does fill me up--I think it's the protein! I use plain Greek yogurt and I put my own vanilla flavored stevia drops into it.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt at least 5 days per week as part of my lunch. It doesn't make me hungrier. It actually tops off my meal, keeping me full for at least a couple hours.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It definitely does not increase my hunger. No food does, though.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not anymore than any other food. Odd.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating? I agree the sugar content might be part of the problem but that's not usually an immediate reaction.

This sounds to me like it might be indigestion as that can sometimes come off as feeling hungry. Perhaps you have a bit of a dairy intolerance? I know if I eat a raw apple or green banana or even natural almonds, I'll feel like I'm hungry but it's just indigestion (hard to digest). But if I eat that apple with something, like a sandwich, it's easier on my stomach and I don't get that "hungry" feeling.
  • marianapril
    marianapril Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me, also No. I eat 130g of yoghurt when I'am really hungry and when there's no prepared food available. It really satisfy my tummy! Try any other snack. Maybe, you just really want to eat more yoghurt :)
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree -- plain greek 0% yogurt has tons of protein. I think it's the added sugar from the fruit, or the artificial sweetners that could be making you hungry

Try adding some fresh (or frozen no sugar fruit) and maybe a drizzle of honey to greek plain yogurt. It should definitely fill you up.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Usually plain yoghurt (especially Greek) keeps me full (served alone) for 1-2 hours.

But when I used to eat fruit yoghurt (those commercial brands) I would feel hunger in a few minutes. They do contain added sugar and I blame sugars, not yoghurt itself.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not yogurt. But an apple on an empty stomach will make me STARVING.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you eating low-fat/no-fat yogurt? Those are not very long term filling. Try full fat plain yogurt. It is very filling and you can usually get away with eating less volume by the time you're full. If I get a slight craving I grab just a tablespoon full of Fage whole milk plain greek yogurt sometimes and that knocks down any hunger cravings for a long time.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I am one of the people who tries to eat only plain, whole fat yogurt, which is very rich and satisfying. If you are eating the 0% or 2%, give yourself the pleasure of the full fat version and don't buy into the hype of low-fat, skim dairy products as the best option. Closer to the cow, or goat, closer to perfection! (To be fair, I don't eat that much dairy, maybe 1/2 cup of yogurt 3/4 of the week, w/fruit.)
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat greek yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries and 1 tbsp of reddi whip.
    Keeps me very satisfied.

I have this as my bedtime snack every night.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    when I use to eat the plain yogurts I would get hungry. I started eating the 0% fat Greek strained yogurt (4 oz.) with 1/4 cup walnuts in it and holds me over 3 or more hours. I think replacing what would be the processed fat with unprocessed healthy fats (from raw nuts) helps satiate my hunger.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If there's sugar in it, yes for sure. However, a cup of Greek yogurt really does fill me up--I think it's the protein! I use plain Greek yogurt and I put my own vanilla flavored stevia drops into it.

^^Exactly what I was thining. If your yogurt has a lot of sugar in it, then it can definitely make you crave more.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Not yogurt. But an apple on an empty stomach will make me STARVING.

Oh, goh. Half an apple and I'm stuffed. My stomach can't handle 'em.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have been having 3/4C greek yogurt with 1/4C granola and berries on top for breakfast the last several mornings and it does a good job for several hours - there is, admittedly, a lot of sugar in all of that, but it does the trick. :) So I would say no to the OP.