If you have a hard time eating 1200 calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you all think that everyone is the same you're way off. The negative perception of people that eat VLC is crazy. Some people have adapted to eat VLC and prefer it and it is really none of your business.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There are days that I struggle to eat that many calories and its not because I haven't been eating, its because i'm making better choices now than I used to. Before I would go to BK or McD's and order whatever I wanted and now if I go its for a salad or a happy meal. More often than not it's fish or chicken at home with a veggie and a potato of some kind. This makes a HUGE difference for someone when they go to change their lifestyle, they think they are making better choices and then at the end of the day they have only eaten 1100 calories, sometimes less. And after hearing "don't eat after "blank" time" for years, its hard to get it through your heads that it's ok to eat at 10pm to get those calories in. I am 3 months in and just got that through my head a couple weeks ago!
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to say I had a hard time eating over 1000 calories.

Originally, when I was fat, and how I gained the weight, I ate low-fat high carb. I also drank a lot of juice (which is high sugar and calorie). I switched to high-fat low carb and just drink water/tea/diet soda.

High fat satiates the appetite pretty well. When I first made the switch, I struggled to eat 1200 calories. Then I got in the habit of eating high fat and lifting weights, I was eating about 2000 calories a day (most of it fat and protein).

When ever I feel like binging, I eat like a pad of butter and some bacon (~100 calories and nixes the appetite).
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    This is me! I am certainly not obese. Not really even overweight (still in the healthy range) but I managed to gain to more than I like to be at. I eat very filling foods - mostly veggies. I struggle getting to 1200 and I was just told I need to be at least 1400. I gained my extra weight when I started to take an anxiety medicine. As soon as I took It a few weeks - I gained 20 lbs. I got off it very quickly, but the weight stuck. I also like wine. I like wine a lot. I had at least a couple glasses 4 or 5 times a week. So I am sure that is where my extra calories came from. I now only allow myself one bottle a week. I also now measure my food - so I am sure I was eating more just by not paying attention before. Real food is very filling. I have to force myself to eat 4 cups of raw spinach - (still only 40 calories) when I want to stop at 2 cups.

Do you eat carbs and healthy fats?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    For some people it might be the switch from processed foods to more "natural" ones. Personally, having actually gone through this, I think it's a mental thing: you want to lose weight so much, your brain convinces your body it's full on so little food.

Solid first response. Unless people are suddenly eating pounds of veg, it's a mental effect. Kinda like people being super excited about a new job. Then a little while later it's not quite as cool.
  • megan020103
    Options
    This is me! I am certainly not obese. Not really even overweight (still in the healthy range) but I managed to gain to more than I like to be at. I eat very filling foods - mostly veggies. I struggle getting to 1200 and I was just told I need to be at least 1400. I gained my extra weight when I started to take an anxiety medicine. As soon as I took It a few weeks - I gained 20 lbs. I got off it very quickly, but the weight stuck. I also like wine. I like wine a lot. I had at least a couple glasses 4 or 5 times a week. So I am sure that is where my extra calories came from. I now only allow myself one bottle a week. I also now measure my food - so I am sure I was eating more just by not paying attention before. Real food is very filling. I have to force myself to eat 4 cups of raw spinach - (still only 40 calories) when I want to stop at 2 cups.

Do you eat carbs and healthy fats?

I do. For lunch I had the 4 cups of spinach, 1/4 cup of black beans, 4 cherry tomatoes, a hard-boiled egg, 1 oz shredded cheese and 1 tsp of olive oil. That entire lunch was only 363 calories. Very filling. Lunch is my biggest meal of the day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The walrus' scientific name, Odobenus rosmarus, is Latin for "tooth-walking sea-horse."
  • acullen31
    acullen31 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey what's up with the negativity. Just live your life.

I agree, people should support each other!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options

What this guy said!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone buy myself, but in my case it has a lot to do with the amount of protein I'm eating now versus before. I feel satiated- full sometimes, even- and don't have any desire to eat more. On top of that, I'm eating whole grains instead of refined stuff, and the foods I'm eating overall contain much fewer calories than what I was eating before. So, volume-wise, I'm eating the same amount I always was; the difference is that I'm taking in less calories as a result, and the foods I'm eating are keeping me fuller for longer. I'm also not overweight, though, I'm at a healthy weight for my size and age- I just want to lose fat and become stronger.

The path to weight gain isn't always "eats too much"; frequently it's "doesn't eat the right things". So, yes, I absolutely believe that some people can be full on 1200 calories, especially if they're just getting started out.

I will say that I've found that, the more I exercise and gain strength, the more food my body wants. It is starting to take more food to satiate me, gradually. As a result, I'm finding ways here and there to boost my calories without resorting to eating bad foods (too often).
  • Amor
    Amor Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Omg you're right... There's no possible explanation for it.

*everyone magically loses weight thanks to this brilliant realization*
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I like your style, friend.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the MFP boards have become a lot nastier than they were when I first joined. :(
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I get what the OP is saying. Bad execution though.

Oh, and walruses?? That's down right SHAMEFUL to compare overweight people to walruses. Not even cool. I'm so butthurt right now over that statement. :angry:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    walruses are so hungry, that they have to go and lie on MFP that they are full on 1200 calories, just in a fail attempt to convince themselves that they are not hungry, then after 4 days they go on binges

oh..I remember you from another thread....you made some jack@ss statement similar to this.....and then tried to claim you were just a bad troll...... :yawn:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    LOL because I used to do that, and my user name is Superwalrus :D
    Do you have a cape???
This discussion has been closed.