how many calories to bulk up

Options
i am 6'2" male weigh 200lbs, and i am lifting 5x5 to get some size. i want to get to 225 and put size on quickly. does anyone have any idea what i should take in for calories?

Replies

• mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should take your TDEE calories. For weight loss, TDEE - X% ( with x max 20 ).
    Here the calculator:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • travjesslove
    Options
    is 5x5 set and reps heavy weight for adding muscle size
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Handy calculator to tell you how many calories to eat.
    I'm not too experienced with lifting at this point, so I will let someone else answer that.
  • travjesslove
    Options
    what is tdee does anyone know what i would need for calories at 200lbs 6'2" and i work out 5 days a week and want to gain up tto 25lbs more
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My guess would be about 3,000 calories NET a day. You'll need to vary it to your specific needs but that's what I would do. (Same height as you)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    what is tdee does anyone know what i would need for calories at 200lbs 6'2" and i work out 5 days a week and want to gain up tto 25lbs more

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It's how many calories you burn in a day. You will have to eat over that to gain weight. I gave you a link to a handy calculator that will tell you EXACTLY how much to eat. Play with it a little bit, and you will have great results.
    I would warn against putting weight on too quickly, as you will gain a lot of fat and a little bit of muscle.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Use a calculator. Several already posted in this post.

TDEE is total calories you burn in a day if you just stayed in bed all day (BMR)+ energy used for daily activity. If you eat this amount daily your weight should not change over time.

25lbs is a lot if you are not entirely new to lifting. Your caloric needs would vary based on yourage, activity level, current BF% and goal BF% when 225lbs.
  • travjesslove
    Options
    does anybody have any suggestions on bulking up with diets and workouts? My tdee is 2814. should i stay around eating like 3000-3500 calories a day? I am 33 and wokout 5 days a week with heavy lifting. I have a desk job so i dont get much activity during the day
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    does anybody have any suggestions on bulking up with diets and workouts? My tdee is 2814. should i stay around eating like 3000-3500 calories a day? I am 33 and wokout 5 days a week with heavy lifting. I have a desk job so i dont get much activity during the day

First off, 5x5 won't give you size very quickly. Muscular hypertrophy is encouraged in the 6-12 rep range. 1-5 rep range is pure strength. Maybe do a compound lift 5x5 and do accessory work in the 10-12 rep range for size.

Eat around 3500 calories, including at least 1.5g protein per pound of lean body mass (you can find a LBM calculator on google).
  • travjesslove
    Options
    my workout consists of 5x5 on lifts like bench,military and stuff like that. When i do my arms it has sets that vary from 5x5 to 3x8. I had a trainer give me a program it has both high reps and low reps. i gained 10 pounds in a month in a half and want to keep going. I know it gets harder the longer you lift i have been lifting for 4 months now. So if i continue on my same program and eat around 3500 calories will i continue to gain muscle and not alot of fat if i eat right
  • travjesslove
    Options
    is more program good? its a 4 week program and consists of sets anywere from 5x5 to 3x8,3x15,5x8. its all different and i work each muscle group each day.
  • travjesslove
    Options
    any ideas how to get calories i am so tired of eating
  • travjesslove
    Options
    can someone please help me with sets and reps