Need some advice! Any!

Options
I posted this in a different forum and got no replies but here goes! Lol

I'm a 19 year old university student and due to self esteem issues I've decided to lose weight. I'm very tall about 6ft4 and want to lose about 25lbs before I go back to uni for the new semester in late September, I'm currently doing the 30 day shred( on day 3) and I've put myself on a diet, 1200-1500 calories, I usually only use up about 1300 each day. I've cut out all sweets/fizzy drinks and juices and only drink water and green tea. And I try and keep the carbs to a minimum usually get them from my oats in the morning or a potato for dinner/lunch. My question is should I be doing more? If so what? I don't really want to get a gym membership the gym is not for me I've tried it before and never knew what to do and always needed someone to go with. I don't really work so after my 30dayshred workout in the afternoon I pretty much just stay indoors.

Any advice would be helpful, anything you think I should or should not be doing, what worked for you, what foods to stay away from etc

Replies

• zipzap77
    Options
    I really would suggest joining a gym and finding a way to make it work for you. 30 day shred is awesome but I think its a good idea to diversify workouts. Incorporate weight lifting and cardio.

Personally, my workout schedule is approx: monday: run 3 miles, do ab workout. Tuesday: Insanity. Wednesday: Lift weights (heavy). Thursday: run 3 miles. Friday: insanity. Sat lift weights and sunday rest. Some days I replace it with yoga.

Also, incorporate as many whole, clean foods as you can afford.
  • Fitness_Guru12
    Options
    the main question is, have you worked out before or are you new to this game?
  • laydeejamz
    laydeejamz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really would suggest joining a gym and finding a way to make it work for you. 30 day shred is awesome but I think its a good idea to diversify workouts. Incorporate weight lifting and cardio.

Personally, my workout schedule is approx: monday: run 3 miles, do ab workout. Tuesday: Insanity. Wednesday: Lift weights (heavy). Thursday: run 3 miles. Friday: insanity. Sat lift weights and sunday rest. Some days I replace it with yoga.

Also, incorporate as many whole, clean foods as you can afford.

Wow that all sounds intense I will try a gym again in a few months when I'm more used to exercising
  • laydeejamz
    Options
    the main question is, have you worked out before or are you new to this game?

Not a day in my life lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Lost all of my weight without setting foot in a gym. It depends on what your goals are, but it wasn't necessary for me.

I'd recommend making sure you eat back some of your earned exercise calories, but everything else sounds like a great start! You can always adjust as you progress.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You need to move more. But at 6'4" 1200 cal is quite low!!! You need to at least eat enough to sustain life to prevent your body from storing (what some will say "Starvation Mode")

Get in at least 30-60 of exercise 5x per week. Aim to get your heart rate up.
    Buy a Heart Rate Monitor and during exercise aim to get your heart rate up over 130
    Eat a little more - at least 1500 cal
    Get the protein up - 100g per day
    Reduce sodium - sodium will make you retain water
    Drink at least 120oz of water per day

Good luck!!
  • laydeejamz
    Options
    Lost all of my weight without setting foot in a gym. It depends on what your goals are, but it wasn't necessary for me.

I'd recommend making sure you eat back some of your earned exercise calories, but everything else sounds like a great start! You can always adjust as you progress.

What kind of things did you do? How much weight did you lose and how long did it take?
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Does your school have a gym? Or offer some sort of fitness classes to students? My son's college has a gym on campus that is free for students and they offer a variety of classes that are also free for students - yoga, dance, boxing, etc.

If you don't want to join a gym for whatever reason, you don't have to. But you should consider incorporating some sort of exercise that you enjoy doing into your weekly routine - even if you can't manage to do it every day at least aim for three times a week. The more you enjoy doing it the more likely you are to stick with it - bike riding, zumba, trampoline (a mini trampoline doesn't cost that much and you can put it away when you aren't using it), swimming (if you have access to a pool), hiking, etc.

At your age there should be a lot of activities that you can do and it won't feel like exercise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i think you have a good start. Although the calorie content is a little low considering your height. Make sure to get your protein to minimize muscle loss.

:)

keep at it! With time, you can change exercise plans to a more lifting and/or gym membership.
  • dollop7995
    Options
    Ive started to workout, I never did anything and then decided (when I looked at myself in the mirror) I need to workout more, this figure needs improving.
    So since that day, I have recorded everything I eat, no matter what, that way when I look back I can see what rubbish I eat. I try not to eat crap, like when my mum offers to get me chocolate when she nips into shop I decline.

I have also started walking more, not like proper hikes all day. An hour or 2 with my dog. I downloaded a pedometer for my ipod and walk with that going and listen to my music, it tells me miles, steps (pro version tells me calories etc) since i downloaded this i have enjoyed walking more and I target my self to a specific amount of steps per walk.

Try looking at blogilates to fill in some of your time in the afternoon http://www.blogilates.com/
    this woman is so motivational and helpful and her workouts are short but fun.

Try looking up workout plans for the qym and print some out that you like the look of, start easy maybe 20 mins on the treadmill. and search on google for webpages to find a workout buddy or ask a friend to help you.... x
  • tashaleona5
    Options
    I'm not a gym person either, I do ALL my workouts in the comfort of my own home. Right now I'm doing Turbo Fire and it kicks butt. I started with Insanity but (at least to me) it is not a starter workout program...too intense lol. How about walking? When I first had my baby I would walk for at least an hour (it goes by so quickly) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and it was A-Amazing! You and nature lol. I did it crack off dawn so I didn't have to see a whole bunch of people outside. You will be shocked how quickly your body adapts to fitness changes... trust me, been working out for about 20 years now lol.
  • amyjen321
    Options
    Me too. I do all my workouts outside of the gym.

You're in the UK right?

Try the couch to 5K. Its a podcast to help you start running, so its a good base for all of your workouts, and best of all it's free. I've been using it for about two weeks and can already feel a difference.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Losing weight does not mean you need an expensive gym membership! You can work out from home or try cheaper gyms around you. London has several cheap gyms that are £20/month

Either way, I'm also starting out now, and I think that starting out a bit slow and not freaking yourself out is key. A couple months ago I tried the whole run at the crack of dawn thing and gave up because it was too intense for me. I am not a morning person. I need to ease into working out and making it a part of my lifestyle before I go all out.

You can definitely lose a good amount of weight before you go back to school in September. Just keep at it!
  • amyjen321
    Options
    Try looking at blogilates to fill in some of your time in the afternoon http://www.blogilates.com/
    this woman is so motivational and helpful and her workouts are short but fun.

I have tried blogilates too! Although she is so peppy that I find it almost irritating. It's definitely my problem though because I can't ever keep up with her. Because I'm just starting out, that's currently my goal!