A rant for the road

Options
I try not to judge and I try to be supportive. Now I need a favor and I'm sure more of you ARE NOT guilty of this.

So, here I go with my request disguised as a rant.

Lately, as I take my morning walk I've been the victim of several assault attempts. Now, I don't mean someone is standing in the bushes waiting to beat me up and steal my inexpensive well used jogging shorts... but they may as well be.

The strange thing is: As I walk down the trail I'm more likely to be fearful of a creepy looking guy, but in this case the offender always seems to be a woman.

I'm here to sweat.... to have my heart pounding up into my ear drums (hopefully with the same rhythm as the music in my headphones)... and, of course, to get fit. I'm willing to bet those of you who are committed to having a healthier lifestyle feel the same way.

Why then do so many ladies feel the need to assault me with an abundance of perfume?

Let yourself drip sweat and (heaven forbid) smell like you are exercising. I don't mind! I'm glad to see you out here walking. I'm overjoyed to share a passing smile, a friendly wave, or a verbal hello. It makes my walking time much more enjoyable to have you here.

BUT, when I'm panting like I've been chasing the ice cream truck, my lungs don't want to get hit with a sudden and stunning waft of your favorite scent.

When you are at work or on a date I love the fact that you take the time to look and smell nice. It's flattering when a woman takes the time for that sort of thing. Out here though, it means more to me to have your company than your fragrance.

I'll see you on the trails, paths and roads. And, as long as my lungs can breathe in the air to pass over my vocal cords I will happily be the first to say, "Hello".

-Reihn
Grants Pass, Oregon

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!! I'd like to submit the same rant but for the menfolk!

Actually, the WORST is when this happens at the gym, like it's not stuffy enough let's add some chemical overlay...ugh.
  • rebel14
    Options
    AMEN, AMEN, AMEN
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I won't argue. There are a lot of men who do it too.

The other one that gets me is people who are power walking while smoking. I just don't understand people sometimes.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    After a lonnnnnnnnnnng day with the grand kids, you made me smile!

It reminded me of the sign I saw last week at the doctor's office: Please refrain from perfumes -- as some of us are allergic to smells!

LOL
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    LoL!!!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Why put on perfume to exercise anyway? I can understand not wanting to smell...but that's what the shower is for. And nothing is worse than the smell of perfume and sweat combined! I would rather the smell of just good ol' sweat!

Great post. I agree. I am a runner and I feel your pain....
    If we ever run into each other you don't have to worry about me assaulting you!! :laugh:
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    LOL I'm so sorry you have to deal with that!! I actually have a friend who sprays perfume and does her makeup before she works out. Every. Single. Time. I Tried to be her workout partner but that failed needless to say. I'm a get up and go girl. Why primp to get sweaty?
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I won't argue. There are a lot of men who do it too.

The other one that gets me is people who are power walking while smoking. I just don't understand people sometimes.

Mmmm...I miss a good smoke after a workout! Two years and counting though and never going back (all that physical activity means the nicotine hit is that much greater).
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Good Job Archy! Keep it up.

vjackso7 - did you even call out your friend on it?

laughingdani - Totally agree. I've actually come to like the smell of sweat when exercise is involved.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I need an inhaler when this happens to me, so I get the 'assault' refererence.

I was on the treadmill one day when a woman got next to me LOADED with her fav. I moved across the room, hit my inhaler, and started up again (because of course I was cold and HR was down)

Dont you know she came right up to me and said I was rude for moving!! I put my towel over my mouth and nose and advised her she was killing me with her perfume, and if she would like to meet me there the next night with just fresh soap-we could be friends! I showed her my inhaler and told her THIS is what you do to me AND others like me. So miss, I will move for my health any dang time I want!!

She huffed off and I never saw her again!!
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    AWTY: You crack me up and yet, I'd have done the same thing (minus the inhaler).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    AWTY: You crack me up and yet, I'd have done the same thing (minus the inhaler).

I tossed my towel to a dude who sweated a BUCKET on the floor and walked away with the bike dripping........and I am not kidding.......I just walked right up to him and handed him my towel "Keep it!"

He went over and wiped up the bike and floor.

Some ppl.........were they raised by wolves???:huh:
  • snafu
    snafu Posts: 16
    Options
    Well, jeez, you learn something new every day.......

Do people really put on perfume or aftershave or whatever as they are about to work out??????????
    Amazing........what is the point? Deoderant, of course,,,,,,but perfume??????

Oh well, you can tell I ain't been working out lately..........quack! :blushing:
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I NEVER wear perfume while exercising. It doesn't do a thing for me anyway except make the sweat smell very angry.

I'm not sensitive to it, so I can't say it offends me, but I do think people who do it are a little... well... odd. Pssh, not that I'm one to call someone else odd, but ... okay, I think it's just weird. Just like the women who put on a full face of makeup and coif their hair before exercising. Geez, What's Up With That?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    PERFUME sucks!!! I wear unscented everything, the problem is so many women wear scented lotions and deoderants they don't realize they are offending the noses that surround them. So be gone smelly stinky lotions and perfumes and vanilla chai scented armpits (yes, I did see such a deoderant in the store the other day......gack)

Besides, my mother taught me long ago that you should not wear perfume on a daily basis and the only person who should be able to smell your perfume is someone you want let get that close to you.......thanks mom for not letting me smell like a french *kitten* in junior high or all the years since :laugh: :laugh:

And as far as the make up goes??? Do I really give two sharts what the people at the gym are thinking while I'm working out? I know I look fantastic with when the wee bit of Irish in me turns beet red and people start to look at me like I might need an ambulance.......that's when I know I'm working out right , dark circles and all :laugh: :wink: