Macro %'s

Options
What %'s do you have your macros set to and why? I have mine at %40 protein, %40 carbs and %20 fat. My personal trainer suggested those and I have PCOS so I try to limit carbs to help with that as well. I was just wondering what others have theirs set at and how you came to those settings? Thanks!

Replies

• kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What %'s do you have your macros set to and why? I have mine at %40 protein, %40 carbs and %20 fat. My personal trainer suggested those and I have PCOS so I try to limit carbs to help with that as well. I was just wondering what others have theirs set at and how you came to those settings? Thanks!

If you have PCOS you might want to restrict your carbs more than this. I have PCOS as well. I can not lose weight or control my symptoms if I eat more than 75 carbs/day. At the moment I am on a ketogenic diet. Many women find huge success with this when PCOS. There are other similar options such as the Low GI diet. Every PCOS woman has a different carb load that they can tolerate. But simply put carbs are not good for women with PCOS. Check out my post below to learn more about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1067728-pcos-vs-normal
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. I
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    15% Carbs, 20% Protein, 65% Fat

I want my carbs under 50g and my protein around 85g and these percentages get me closest to those numbers. But truth be told, I don't really pay attention to my marcos at all. I just try for each meal to have more fat than protein and more protein than carbs and that seems to work fine for me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I have 35% carbs, 35% fat, 30% protein, but I didn't choose them based on percentages. The percentages are just incidental. I calculated my macronutrient intake for protein and fat based on my body weight/ Lean Body Mass, and filled the rest of my calories with carbs, and that just happens to be the percentages it came out to.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    15% Carbs, 20% Protein, 65% Fat

I want my carbs under 50g and my protein around 85g and these percentages get me closest to those numbers. But truth be told, I don't really pay attention to my marcos at all. I just try for each meal to have more fat than protein and more protein than carbs and that seems to work fine for me.

This is a good one! Great way to think about it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 50/25/25 (c/p/f). I rarely meet the carbs, usually exceed the fat, and come pretty close on protein. I don't really care about the carbs so much, I concern myself more with my fiber number than overall carbs.

I don't have much of a reason for setting it this way really. I upped the protein a little for muscle retention and as a reminder that I tend to go low on protein. By setting it higher than the standard, I don't worry too much on days I'm a little under goal.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been having success with my numbers where they are :) more interested in others numbers and why they set it that way!