Interesting Episode Of Sister Wives Last Night

Yes I watch this show and I love it. Anyway, there is a wife on there who is overweight and working really hard to loose weight. Well last night she was very upset because her scale number's aren't moving. She has lost 30lbs so far and hasn't lost anymore. So her trainer asked her to bring her scale with her to her workout so they could see if it was accurate, however, it was all a ploy, LOL. He brought her outside and made her smash her scale. He told her she was addicted to it.

He said all I hear about is how the scale it not moving. I never hear you say I feel stronger, my clothes are bigger, I can do more, I am not as tired and so on. He said do not worry about what the scale says, those numbers don't matter, what matters is how you are feeling and what you are accomplishing now.

I was like OMG that is me. My number on the scale do not move, and when they do they go up, but my clothes fit differently, I can move more then I have in the past. I've gone from a Woman's size 26 in pants to a size 22 and just bought a skirt that was an 18, those need to be my focuses, not the numbers on a machine.

So I thank you Sister Wives for making me realize I was also addicted to my scale.

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I saw that! I fell over laughing when he brought out that sledgehammer!

That trainer was exactly right in making sure you're not just focusing on a number - that you consider the other positives resulting from the weight loss. Did you see how big those pants were on her now?! That was awesome.
  • momsgettinhealthy
    momsgettinhealthy Posts: 26 Member
    I needed to hear that this morning. I stepped on the scale only to notice, once again, it had not moved. However, I was just telling my husband that I was going to need some new pants for work because mine are getting so big and loose. I have more energy now than I have in years and I have way more endurance than I did when I started this journey a month ago. I know that I've had NSV's and plenty of them, but sometimes it's nice to see that number go down. I guess I'll just measure tonight (was going to anyway) and watch those numbers go down! Maybe I need to smash my scale too!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    I was stuck for 2 years... 2 YEARS and was obsessed with the numbers. I put the scale away after much thought and after that the weight started to come off again when I focused on how I was feeling. My theory is that the weight loss is a side effect to changing lifestyle and learning how to recognize the good over the bad! LOVE THIS I will have to google the clip!
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    I had a different take on that episode. BTW I love Janelle, she is definitely my favorite!

It seemed to me that she hadn't been losing in a significant way anymore, or I guess I should say in a fast enough way for television (like Biggest Loser). And it also seemed that her weight loss was supposed to be part of her story line (the early morning gym sessions, the plus size clothing line, etc)

I saw her smashing the scale as a plot device which allowed her and the producers to dump the weight loss story line. Maybe she just even wanted to get off the hook with having to show America that she lost some significant amount of weight, which I totally understand, I wouldn't want that pressure either.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    First - how in the heck does Kody attract those women, ugh he's a douchenozzle

Janelle is my fave too :-)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

LOL @ douchenozzle
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    I will add "there is a show called Sister Wives* to my list of things I learned on the internet today.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member

For real. He is totally gross. *shudder*

In any event, more than one person this week has said to me "wow, you are really losing more weight" but my weight has been the same for two weeks. I think sometimes it just shows more than others.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    I love that show, such a train wreck! Run Logan, run!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I love that show! I haven't watched in ages, though. I'll have to check On Demand to see if it's available so I can get caught up.

Janelle is my favorite, too. I love that she smashed her scale even if it was scripted. I've gone up two pounds and lost several inches in just the last couple of months. I'm learning to rely on my tape measure and clothes. I get it now! The scale doesn't tell the whole story and may not be a reliable tool at all for monitoring progress. When I do get on the scale now I just look at the number, shrug, and step off. I don't give it another thought.

Related NSV: I've lost an inch around my navel in just the last couple of weeks! Lifting weights+eating more+not giving a crap about the scale=success!
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    I know that scale smashing was scripted too, but it was the stuff he said, even though I am sure that is scripted too that made sense to me. Don't become an addict to the scale, become an addict to what your body is telling you.

I definitly know I am stronger then 6 months ago, yes I have gained some weight back, but I am still better then I was 6 months ago. I climed rocks with my kids this year while on vacation, last year, I wouldn't of even thought of doing it, I would of let them go on and I would wait till they were done.

Last night I jogged, granted it was NOT alot, but I still did it, something I couldn't do a year ago, I tried so I know I couldn't.

So I will not become addicted to my scale, my body will do all the talking for me.

We can all do this, we can and we will, it may take sometime, but it took me 42 years to put it on, it won't take me an hour to take it off.

Best of Luck.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    i love janelle! i wish her nothing but the best. i hope she loses all the weight she wants, cause shes the coolest wife on that show. GO JANELLE!