A question of protein

Options
Hi all i 'll try and keep this brief. I've lost around 10st in three stages, this last being 3st since last july. i joined here a year ago and like everyone got fooled by the 1200 calories given and i followed it and yes i lost weight. I do the gym 6 days a week 1hrs hard cardio plus 1 hour weights and i have slimmed down a lot. BUT as the months have gone by my protein consumption has declined rapidly due to me eating mostly vegetarian. i do eat the odd bit of chicken or tuna but thats it. My weight loss stalled around 4 months ago after i gained back 10lbs when i increased my daily calories to 1700-1800 as 1200 was way way too low. I burn around 400-500 in the gym without the weights.
long story short my hair recently started falling out and my nails flaking and peeling and my trainer advised me to start drinking whey protein shakes which although theyre gross im happy to do as i clearly need more than 20g of protein a day plus im now eating chicken or fish daily. Im now hitting 150g protein but im worried i'll gain even more weight instead of slimming down and toning up. Am i doing the right thing and is 100-150g okay for a 157lb 5ft 10 female?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    150g of protein sounds fine to me.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    This is a basic guide:

"The average person needs about .8 grams of protein per kilogram or .4 grams of protein per pound"

Women usually won't bulk up because we don't have the make up a male does unless we add hormones/steroids.

I had issues with my hair and nails when I first started because I was omitting healthy fats/oils from my diet. Once I reintroduced those and got in at least minimum requirements of other nutritients I was fine.