Healthiest & tastiest way to cook chicken breast?

Options
Mine usually turn out dry and just tasteless, so yeah tips?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Pan fry in olive oil with seasonings of your choice. Add spinach leaves, tomatoes, mushrooms, and a dash of hot sauce.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I actually cooked some up on my Foreman grill this AM. I'm going to cut it up and throw it on a big plate of lettuce and veggies for dinner.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    when I make mine I use different spices, however, whatever spice you put on them make sure you cook the chicken after washing it and it is DRY.

Fry it up so that the outside is nice and brown and then toss them in the oven to cook for about 15-20 mins (depending on the size of the breast). They always come out tender and moist :)

* I forgot to mention that I use coconut oil - it's awesome! *
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Brine them first, don't overcook them. An internal temp of 140-150 is perfectly fine
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine off and dry with a paper towel, then rub a little EVOO on them and spinkle garlic powder, onion powder and paprika on it and bake for about 30-40 minutes on 350 degrees. My hubby LOVES this chicken and it's SO simple!
  • Ademar111
    Ademar111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I top mine with spices, use a glass baking dish, cover with foil, 400 degrees for 40 mintues. I usually rotate the baking dish about 20 minutes in.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken breast all the time, I make things like stir fry, lemongrass chicken, masala chicken etc. Ethnic foods usually have more flavor from spices etc, not from cream and things like that so things aren't as high cal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My solution is to cut them in half or thirds - smaller pieces cook faster and more evenly. Mostly though I use chicken thighs for baking and grilling. Totally worth a tiny bit extra calorie and fat for the consistency/texture IMHO.

Or, if you happen to get them skin on, you can rub a little salt under the skin and let it sit (similar to brining) and they'll be fairly moist. I do this when cooking a whole chicken, as well as tenting with foil, and it works wonders.
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I dump a jar of salsa on mine, cover with foil & bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about washing & drying before adding spices... I've only made chicken that goes into it's own recipe (like for chicken fajitas or in a baked dish with all kinds of other stuff). I will try this - I want some chicken I can cut up and add to salads and wraps.
  • ConnorLynne65
    ConnorLynne65 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The diet that I've come to accept is that any food I eat must be "boiled, steamed, baked, broiled or grilled."

As much as I love fried chicken, I stopped that and went with broiled and grilled types of meat.

To broil, I turn on the broiler on high and prep my chicken. Salt is a no-no (for me at least) so I add ground pepper and a tiny bit of garlic powder and poultry seasoning. My downfall is the pappy seasoning that I could only find in California.

But, for a healthier version, get some chicken, put it in a baking pan, place some pepper on it, if you like, put just a dab of lemon juice (be sure to do both sides). And put about 1/4 of water in the pan (depending on how big the pan it) so it keeps the chicken nice and juicy! You can add some chili pepper too!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

If they are dry, you are leaving them in too long. Make sure the internal temperature is reached to make sure they are cooked though.

I bake mine at 350/375 degrees for about 30 minutes, with olive oil and garlic and roast pepper spice.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken with a bit of lime juice, no herbs
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    What is brining? I assume it has something to do with salt, so does it add to the sodium content?
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    I usually poach my chicken in water with some spices or low sodium chicken broth. I'll make a bunch of it at the beginning of the week and then if I want it for fajitas (for example), I'll add some Mexican spices. If I want it for a salad, I'll just add some garlic powder or Italian seasonings. Poaching it keeps it super moist and it's flexible so you can make it a few different ways.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    quickest way to cook chicken and it is usually tender and moist is I guess what you might call poaching.

I put several chicken breasts in a skillet/frypan and add about a cup of water then cover it with a lid and cook on medium on the stove. After about 10 - 12 min or so, turn them over to cook the other side for another 10 min or so.

This is how I make chicken when I want to dice it up and put it in other recipes. Quickest, easiest way for me. You dont have to mess with it and gives you time to work on other things for your meal.
  • treetoptrevor
    Options
    I just throw a bag of chicken on the grill and cook slowly, sprinkle with a little seasoning salt and t comes off really most. (gotta cook slowly with indirect heat)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    The diet that I've come to accept is that any food I eat must be "boiled, steamed, baked, broiled or grilled."

As much as I love fried chicken, I stopped that and went with broiled and grilled types of meat.

Why? And you can pan fry chicken, I do this all the time and it tastes good!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I usually put my chicken covered in seasoning on tin foil and close the foil around the chicken (like a tin foil baggie) and bake that way, directly on the rack. I've never had it come out dry this way.