First time RUNNING!!!

I know this may not sound like much but today we had our company olympics and I participated....I have been fast walking on the treadmill since the middle of may and doing ok but never once have I stepped off of the treadmill and onto the asphalt until today...I also didn't walk it but I jogged it, not fast by any means but an improvement and I did my best not to stop and walk...I walked one block of the two mile path and only because there was construction, it was raining and I really do not need any broken bones the week before school starts...I really thought it would be more difficult but it wasn't, I felt great! i have my first 5k on August 21st and I have been seriously doubting myself but this little confidence builder today has helped me tremendously! I have been walking my miles at about 13:44/mile and today I was 11:24 so I shaved 2 minutes and 20 seconds off of each mile! I know it doesn't sound like much but it is a huge gain for me! The best part was I didn't stop and I didn't quit...although this run was on a much smaller scale than most of you run, I now know what it feels like to see the line coming up and that feeling kicking in to finish and not quit...Thanks for letting me share!

Replies

• TwinMom422
    TwinMom422 Posts: 34 Member
    That's great! I had my 1st 5k yesterday, and it was hard.

Glad it motivated you, and gave you confidence!
  • Bouneschlupp
    Bouneschlupp Posts: 29 Member
    I also started on the treadmill, first walking, then very slowly jogging, doing the C25K program and doing so I already increased my speed from 5km/h to running 8km/h (over the years). 6 weeks ago I started running outdoors, tracking with the runtastic app. Afterwards I'm really surprised to see that it is so much easier for me to run faster when I'm not on the treadmill.
    I also signed in today for my first official 5K in two weeks.

wishing you good luck on yours!!
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else: this is great progress! I recently ran a mile. Yes, a single mile, and I was darn proud of myself :D
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    congratulations! good job!! I totally understand how much progress you made, because I am still afraid to even try to run, afraid I will hurt myself, but it will come to me in time.
  • kefowler3
    kefowler3 Posts: 5 Member
    CONGRATS! huge feat!!! a mile is a mile no matter how fast youre going :) keep up the great work!
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Great job! I was a runner in high school and later had an accident that prevented me from running for years, AND caused a 90lb weight gain in one year because I still ate like a runner and laid around all day.

I remember the first time I ventured to jog on the treadmill again after months of only walking. I was at the gym, beaming to myself while tears were rolling down my face, and then called a friend and made her be excited with me. Ha ha. I LOVE your story. It makes me realize how far I have come by remembering that day.

GREAT JOB! Keep up the great work!
    Fyi- I have lost 60 of those 90lbs.

I know you can reach your goals!
  • kaustin515
    kaustin515 Posts: 18 Member
    That's awesome! Congratulations! I have been jogging for almost 10 weeks now and average 15 minutes/mile. I don't care because I'm just proud I'm doing it like a pp said. It feels so wonderful to do something you never thought you'd do. Last night I was jogging through town and a man (the new basketball coach) ran past me, looked at me weird, and before I finished the block I was on he was a block ahead of me. At first I felt embarassed, wondered if he looked at me weird because I was going so slow, but then I thought I could care less...at least I'm GOING! So YAY TO YOU! That is an awesome accomplishment!
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    you rock !! this really resonates with me , i'm trying to get my distance up but i give in to that voice in my head that says "you can't do this" after about 3 mins LOL
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    good job! love the pug :)
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Great job :) I'm going to try to "run" my first 5k next month...which will be lots of walking with spurts of jogging I'm sure. Each time you stretch yourself, you do better!
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    well done , i did my first jog today, only around the block had to walk every so often, going to build it up
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!