Time for working out

Options
I am looking for suggestions to get in a daily workout. I wake up at 5 every day to take a carpool van to my work location. I am dressed and ready for work but I have some downtime then but don't want to sweat a bunch before going to work at a bank, standing on my feet all day. I have 30 minute lunches which pass by quickly, so walking during lunch is a challenge to say the very least. Once done with work I get back on the van to head home. Sometimes I have some time between getting out of work and getting back on the van but need to stay close so I don't miss the van. By the time I get home at 5:45, do food prep, household chores and eat dinner, it is time for bed.
I don't want to wake up any earlier than I already do. I am hoping to get some suggestions to help me out. Do I need a preworkout supplement to help power me through a workout at the end of the day?? Any suggestions are helpful and welcome.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in a quick workout before you get dressed for work. Take a quick shower and you're good to go. Walk around the parking lot while waiting for the van. As soon as you get home do some exercise... do a DVD or go for a walk .. or have the van drop you off a bit away from home or wherever you get the van so you have some time to walk. Fit in a workout after dinner and chores if you need to. Find a time to fit something in if you want to get some exercise. There's time you just have to make time. If you don't want to get up earlier to get some exercise in before work make time after work to get it done. I personally would get up earlier to get a workout in since I'd rather do it at the beginning of the day and it helps me feel more energized throughout the day.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Squeeze in a quick workout before you get dressed for work. Take a quick shower and you're good to go. Walk around the parking lot while waiting for the van. As soon as you get home do some exercise... do a DVD or go for a walk .. or have the van drop you off a bit away from home or wherever you get the van so you have some time to walk. Fit in a workout after dinner and chores if you need to. Find a time to fit something in if you want to get some exercise. There's time you just have to make time. If you don't want to get up earlier to get some exercise in before work make time after work to get it done. I personally would get up earlier to get a workout in since I'd rather do it at the beginning of the day and it helps me feel more energized throughout the day.

I agree with this. We are all busy. If you prioritize, you will squeeze that workout in. I was the same way and thought I had no time at all, ever. Especially after work. Think about it honestly. Do you have time to watch TV? Surf the internet? Or some other leisure activity? 99% of us are not that tightly scheduled, we just don't make exercise a priority. It was a rude awakening for me to face that truth but once I did, I have been able to squeeze in multiple workouts every week and even do a quick walk (just 1 mile) every morning. It can be done, you just have to decide you want to make it a priority.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You kind of just have to make the time happen. You say that you don't want to wake up earlier than you do, so you're choosing sleeping later over working out. It's not that you can't wake up earlier, you're choosing not to. (that's not a bad thing, just an example)

Also look at where things could be reduced in the amount of time they take. Can you do some weekly food prep on your days off so you don't have to prep as much each night? Can you adjust the household chores so you are doing them every single night after work, but only three nights a week so you can spend that time working out the other two?

Do you live with anyone? Can they help with the chores and or dinner so you don't have to dedicate so much time to them each night?

Also, assuming that you head to bed around 9 each night to be up at 5am, you have three hours to make/eat dinner and do chores. So, unless you are cooking multi-course meals and/or cleaning the entire house each night, my guess is that you have some downtime in there somewhere. So that's where another choice comes in, do you use your downtime to do something like watch TV or go online, or do you choose to workout?

Personally, I don't have any real "downtime" on nights I workout. I have also chosen to sleep in the mornings and not wake up prior to work to workout. But it's work, home, workout, cook/eat dinner, shower, and bed Mon-Thu. Sometimes I may have a little time to read before bed, if it's a shorter workout. Friday is a rest night when I watch a little TV or read a book while curled up on the couch with my cat. Then I make sure to get my workouts out of the way in the mornings on the weekends and spend those days catching up on TV with the hubby (he does theater so he's mostly out during the week), we do the chores, we see friends, etc.

My boss is the opposite of me, he wants the evenings for his family time so he wakes up at 4am every day to go running before work, because that's when he chooses to get his workout in. We both think the other is crazy. :D

Ultimately, what it really comes down to is that if you really want to work out, you will find the time in your schedule.