feeling stupid

Options
A trainer up at my gym told me i need to be eating about 700-800 calories a day so for a week i did so and every day i would work out and burn about 600-700 calories. after about 2 days i feel ill and started randomly blacking out i spoke to the trainer and he said to see my doctor. Last night i woke up at 2am after eating only 700 calories for about a week now and just lost it.i ate everything i could find. I'm never doing that again!! I feel stupid.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sad lesson - your trainer is not a nutritionist - nor does he have more than two tiny little braincells apparently..... Eating 700-800 calories a day is only something somebody who is morbidly obese should do UNDER STRICT MEDICAL SUPERVISION.....
    Get a new trainer and eat more.....
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow...this trainer should not be giving nutritional advice...clearly he has zero knowledge in that field, and he most definitely is not certified to!
  • arson714
    arson714 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Umm..time to get a new trainer.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Yes!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, it knows what you need. You cannot survive healthily on 700-800 calories a day even without any exercise. Find a more knowledgeable trainer right away.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Already switched trainers yesterday
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You should smack that guy in the face next time you see him.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

God! This!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A trainer up at my gym told me i need to be eating about 700-800 calories a day so for a week i did so and every day i would work out and burn about 600-700 calories. after about 2 days i feel ill and started randomly blacking out i spoke to the trainer and he said to see my doctor. Last night i woke up at 2am after eating only 700 calories for about a week now and just lost it.i ate everything i could find. I'm never doing that again!! I feel stupid.

Ah. Lesson learned....dust yourself off.....:flowerforyou:
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I am absolutely shocked that a "trainer" told you to essentially eat only what you burn! Definitely time to get a new trainer that knows what the heck he/she's doing.

I have several friends who are personal trainer who have never ever suggested someone eat so few calories...even for weight loss. Crazy!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'd report that trainer to the gym. Sorry, but I think a lot of 'gym trainers' are a dime a dozen and I have heard too many BS/horror stories about people being told to "so and so" because "my trainer said so".

Good luck with the new trainer.
  • Flowmotivatehealthcoaching
    Options
    Hello,

How are you doing now?

I am a fitnesstrainer and @ my gym we advice people to eat healthy en do sports at least 3 times a week.
    Ofcourse if you want to loose some weight its better to do more sports a week.
    But its really unhealthy to eat less than 1200 cal a day. Your body alone needs around 1200/1400 cal a day to be alive. (sports not included)

Please find yourself a qualified wise trainer. Eat healthy and enough for your body to have a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    700-800 calories is what the average 8 month old baby needs each day. And since your body was burning it all off in exercise, no wonder you weren't feeling well!

Luckily you realized it before starving yourself half to death.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I'm also seeing about getting a dietician
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Maybe meant for just post workout meal?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is a joke.

You should be eating at a bare minimum 1200 calories per day, PLUS whatever calories you burned through exercise. Never listen to that trainer again.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's like when I went up to a MAC cosmetics girl at Nordstroms to ask if she'd help me find a lipstick in a flattering shade and she said that all of them are flattering and once I'd figuring out what shades I liked, she'd help me try them on.

NEXT....

Not everyone should have been hired for their job
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I'm also seeing about getting a dietician

That is a great idea.
  • kodiak1957
    kodiak1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was on what was called a 750/30 diet. 750 calories a day, and 30g of carbs. I remember a lot of steamed fish and broccoli. But that was under medical supervision, twice weekly visits where my blood was monitored every visit. I also did aerobics and weight training every day. I did lose 60lbs and felt find, but had to take supplements when I went into ketosis. The problem was, it was a quick fix and didn't give me the the skills I needed to keep the weight off. A slow and steady lifestyle change has worked much better for me.
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    oh gosh! don't feel stupid! HE should feel stupid! Glad you got rid of that trainer. Best wishes